How to not overeat like a heathen during my period?

13»

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124662

To those who don't believe that BMR changes during phases of the cycle. Cited figures indicate a BMR increas of 7-9%. So it's not a ton but it's significant, especially if you're aiming for a 20% deficit and suddenly you're at a 27% deficit.

This article recommends different trainings and nutrition at different times: more carbs during the follicular phase and higher intensity workouts, and more fat + low-intensity exercise during the luteal phase. Almost like a mini bulk/cut cycle every month. YMMV tho.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters

Bookmarked that study for when I have time to read it. (Then go bug one of my nutrition profs about it :tongue: )

As a couple of us have mentioned, Lyle McDonald might, at this point, know more about women's menstrual cycles and how they relate to training and diet more than pretty much every other woman. He has a book coming out soon (please Lyle, soon, 3 years is long enough!) which will cover all of it. He definitely changes women's training for different phases.

Definitely waiting on that as well. I'm vaguely familiar with his work and the little bit I've had time for made me wish I currently had more time for "recreational" reading.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Quick note to posters; this discussion jumped the tracks and was briefly moved for moderation. I did my best to remove everything that left the rails and leave the discussion as it had been.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Now that we're back on the rails, instead of eating at maintenance, I tend to volume eat (lots of low calorie food) to make room for something totally nuts like a taco bell burrito or full size candy bar.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Honestly, I’ll just keep eating. I want stuff like pizza and quesadillas, but I’ll eat masses of veggies until it passes. The funny thing is, the next week, I’ll hardly have an appetite at all. I suggest having some go to volume recipes for these times. It’s a good reason to track your periods too since it helps to know what’s going on.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited November 2017
    I give myself 100 extra calories over my typical maintenence number for 2 days. It'll be insignificant in the end and I'll be less hangry and less likely to sit and be lazy, and thus burn more calories.
  • thenewcarlee
    thenewcarlee Posts: 13 Member
    I am the same.... add on behaving like a hormonal crazy lady!!!