There's no way some foods are zero calories right?

Options
13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    zoekravitz wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    If something is labeled zero calories, most times its because it takes more energy to digest it than the energy provided by the food itself.

No. It means it has less than 5 calories per serving. There are no foods that take more energy to digest than they contain.

eta: But wouldn't that be awesome! :)

Actually there are, such as apples, apricots, celery etc. But I guess in this case, since it is pickle chips, your pov is probably valid in this case :)

Only on Weight Watchers do apples, apricots, and celery, give you the impression of not having calories.... in real life, newsflash, they do, as do most zero calorie foods in sufficient quantity :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If something is labeled zero calories, most times its because it takes more energy to digest it than the energy provided by the food itself.

No. It means it has less than 5 calories per serving. There are no foods that take more energy to digest than they contain.

Actually there are, such as apples, apricots, celery etc. But I guess in this case, since it is pickle chips, your pov is probably valid in this case :)

Apples and apricots contain a lot of sugar and definately provide you more calories than they require to digest. Celery has hardly any calories in it but also does not require more calories to digest it.

Here is the thing. There are plenty of things that our body can't digest, dietary fiber for one. Celery has a lot of undigestible fiber and a lot of water and not much else. But here is the thing with undigestable stuff....your body doesn't absorb it. It just goes right through you. You don't spend any energy on it at all.

Your digestive system from the opening of your mouth to the opening of your *kitten* is just one long continous tube that can be easily thought of as being not inside of you....it is like a hole that runs through your body. Things we can digest get broken down and absorbed through your intestinal lining and into your body to be digested at which point energy is expended to get more energy out. Things that cannot be digested just go right through you, having never actually entered you at all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

You do realise that if this were true, which it is not, logically someone would starve to death faster eating apples all day than eating nothing at all? And the more apples they ate, the faster they'd starve?

I know what you're talking about and it's been completely debunked. There is no such thing as a food that you burn more calories digesting than you gain from eating it. If there were, it would actually be dangerous to humans.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Is this the case for all American foods? I have packets of truvia here, and on the label it states 0.4 calories per pack. If this was American would it say 0 calories?

Yeah, not sure if it is just the United States or other countries as well but basically the rule is if it is less than 5 calories it is zero calories.

I mean if you really REALLY abused that rule I think you'd get called out on it.

For example if a 8 oz bag of potato chips claimed to have zero calories because it had 200 servings and each of those 200 servings was less than 5 calories I don't think that would fly.

But I mean diet soda's have some number of calories as well, probably like 2 or 3. They get away with "zero" calories because whatever it is its less than 5 in a serving.

I am pretty anal when I am calorie counting but that policy of rounding down to zero never really bothered me. I mean seriously if there are less than 5 calories in serving you are going to be very hard pressed to derail your diet on the basis of consuming those items.

I remember a thread where someone was ranting that the cooking Spray can was lying cause it was 0 calories per serving even though it was pure oil.

Hah yeah actually I can see that being abused. I looked it up thinking what brand I could think of and PAM cooking spray has a "serving" of 1/3 second of spray (so basically just a spritz). Looking up online a "serving" is 2 calories which means that technically they could call that zero calories. But yeah if you hold that sucker down and soak your pan it'll be more than that.

I guess you have to think now and again. Dang.

That said good luck getting fat on pickles.

A few months ago we had a poster who wasn't losing weight. After a while it turned out they were going through a can of PAM spray every couple of days thinking it was zero calories. Needless to say, it was wiping out their deficit completely.

Ew. Were they cracking the can open and drinking it? Spaying the entire can into a bowl and dipping their food in it? How the hell do you use that much cooking spray??

IIRC, it was butter flavor, and she was spraying it liberally on top of her veggies to make them tasty.

I have a co-worker who unscrew the cap and pours it over her food...because ya know...0 calories :/
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Is this the case for all American foods? I have packets of truvia here, and on the label it states 0.4 calories per pack. If this was American would it say 0 calories?

Yeah, not sure if it is just the United States or other countries as well but basically the rule is if it is less than 5 calories it is zero calories.

I mean if you really REALLY abused that rule I think you'd get called out on it.

For example if a 8 oz bag of potato chips claimed to have zero calories because it had 200 servings and each of those 200 servings was less than 5 calories I don't think that would fly.

But I mean diet soda's have some number of calories as well, probably like 2 or 3. They get away with "zero" calories because whatever it is its less than 5 in a serving.

I am pretty anal when I am calorie counting but that policy of rounding down to zero never really bothered me. I mean seriously if there are less than 5 calories in serving you are going to be very hard pressed to derail your diet on the basis of consuming those items.

I remember a thread where someone was ranting that the cooking Spray can was lying cause it was 0 calories per serving even though it was pure oil.

Hah yeah actually I can see that being abused. I looked it up thinking what brand I could think of and PAM cooking spray has a "serving" of 1/3 second of spray (so basically just a spritz). Looking up online a "serving" is 2 calories which means that technically they could call that zero calories. But yeah if you hold that sucker down and soak your pan it'll be more than that.

I guess you have to think now and again. Dang.

That said good luck getting fat on pickles.

A few months ago we had a poster who wasn't losing weight. After a while it turned out they were going through a can of PAM spray every couple of days thinking it was zero calories. Needless to say, it was wiping out their deficit completely.

Ew. Were they cracking the can open and drinking it? Spaying the entire can into a bowl and dipping their food in it? How the hell do you use that much cooking spray??

IIRC, it was butter flavor, and she was spraying it liberally on top of her veggies to make them tasty.

I have a co-worker who unscrew the cap and pours it over her food...because ya know...0 calories :/

YNgmlTp.gif
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

So let me get this straight. You think if you were eating only apples, you'd die of starvation faster than if you were eating nothing at all?
  • Alatariel75
    edited November 2017
    Options

So let me get this straight. You think if you were eating only apples, you'd die of starvation faster than if you were eating nothing at all?

Can you imagine? You have a growing kid, and give them apples as a snack - all of a sudden they need more calories that day than if you didn't give them a snack at all. Give them an apple and an apricot for play lunch and wonder why they're not growing at the expected rate...