Chardonnay....30g of carbs!! No way!!!

2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2017
    @chinatowninchina, I think I have quickly been reminded as to why I save my regularly used food items individually under "My Menu" versus "My Food". Ease of finding it when I want to add it to my food diary.

By saving under the "My Menu" option I was just able to rename "Food Lion Diced Tomatoes Italian Style" as "Tomatoes, canned" thus when wanting to add some canned tomatoes to my diary all I have to do is either scroll down the alphabetized "My Menu" items (on the app) to the entries beginning with "T" or type in "tom..." and the 2 items I have (tomatoes, canned and tomatoes, raw) pop up. Click. Enter quantity. Done. ETA: On the desk top I would click on page 4 or 5 to get to the "T's". Click Tomatoes canned, enter quantity, DONE.

No need to read further if not interested in hacking:

FWIW, I chose to try out the system with that item (canned tomatoes) because the can I have in my pantry has a new label and it shows....220 grams of potassium. An interesting thing I found is: the canned tomatoes in the database that have the "check mark" meaning they have been verified as correct will not allow editing-in this case none of the 3 I chose to edit (experimenting) had the amount of potassium and I wanted to edit it them to include potassium. MFP would not take me to the edit screen on "verified" items. I had to find a similar item that was not "verified" and by going to "nutrition" and indicating "no" when it asks "is this correct" mfp would then take me to the edit screen where I could add the potassium. It then auto-saved it to "My Foods". From there, I added it to my diary, hit save meal, RENAMED it "Tomatoes, canned" and it is now in "My Meals" where I want it as an individual item. Alphabetically under the "Ts".

So far as I can tell/find: the "my foods" category does not give the option to rename thus I would have to scroll through all "my foods" items if I could not remember the specific brand. Hunts, Del Monte, Food Lion Great Value, etc. Could be any one of them and as mentioned previously, while I still like to track, I don't have to be 100% accurate at this stage of my game.

This may not apply if I created an item from scratch using the "create" option. I do have my limitations on re-inventing the wheel ;) and have not 100% created a food.

A further explanation/example for @chinatowninchina: cuts of pork are vastly different in regards to fat content as I'm sure you know. As I was using a particular cut for something, I would save it in "My Menu" (by the ounce) because I can rename it to Pork, tenderloin or Pork, loin, or Pork Butt or Pork rib making it easy to find in my list. Whether it is Smithfield, or Swift, or Kroger brand is usually not critical to me because if they are pork butt, they are "close enough". If they are pork tenderloin, they are "close enough", etc for my record keeping.

Olive Oil/Avocado Oil is an easy example. I vary my olive oil/avocado but have only 1 entry for each of those. Same is true for butter and many things. There could be any kind in my pantry at any given time. All of the olive/avocado oils (to my knowledge, at least those I buy) have ~120 calories, ~14 grams of fat, 0 carbs, 0 protein (per tablespoon). Yes, there is probably a generic entry in the database for "olive oil" and it is most likely correct. BUT, I have my dairy set up so it goes directly to "My Menu" as a default so I'm not having to go into the database for something I use regularly like olive oil.

If anyone knows a way to delete an entry (that was derived from the database) from "My Foods" , let me know. I've not found a way (though it doesn't concern me). When saving items to "My Meals", they can be deleted. A reason to delete: For a while I took Magnesium Oxide daily. I later switched to Magnesium Glycinate after reading again and again that "Oxide" is the least favored/effective. Because "My Meals" allows for deletion, I was able to delete the Oxide and keep my "list" shorter. Able to remove things I no longer use.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Yeah! Thanks for the time you've taken to explain this. Just tried the moving things from my foods to my meals and as long as I do things individually it goes over. I'll try this as I did find it frustrating to be checking through the data base and mainly finding things weren't accurate as a lot had very random carbs etc. I have also created my own foods alphabetically in my foods but as you say, you can't delete them I don't think. Once in alphabetically it was easier to find things and every time the site said it existed I said it didn't, which allowed me to create accurate things based on what I use. I rarely use prepackaged things so mainly it was 'raw' foods and I did manage to create them so I have Cheese Gouda or Cheese Brie so that I could distinguish between different types re their calories, fats etc etc. I think I will trying transferring them all over to the My Meals part and set that as my default as that looks easier! :) Thanks again!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    "No need to read further if not interested in hacking:"

This was well worth the read. I am in maintanence, I have pretty much stopped logging because I do lots of fasting and I get a lot of nasty messages from MFP when I try to save what items I am trying to track.

I am going to try this method. Seems like a great project to do while fasting.
    Yes, I am a freakin' geekfoodie, why do you ask?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Thank you @kpk54, that was a really good runthrough. I might just get back to logging if I can simplify it like you did in My Meals. The 'not able to delete' crap of the My Foods list was the worst. There's stuff in there that I haven't eaten for 3 years and it's STILL on the list. MFP Food Diary is kinda like the dust bunnies under the bed. You know you have to deal with it at some point, but prefer to turn away and close your eyes, :D
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Thank you @kpk54, that was a really good runthrough. I might just get back to logging if I can simplify it like you did in My Meals. The 'not able to delete' crap of the My Foods list was the worst. There's stuff in there that I haven't eaten for 3 years and it's STILL on the list. MFP Food Diary is kinda like the dust bunnies under the bed. You know you have to deal with it at some point, but prefer to turn away and close your eyes, :D

To all: I've done it and it works and you can delete stuff!! Yeah! I've set my default to come up as my meals and as it comes up alphabetically and you can search it's much much easier. I've made mine in a way that makes sense for me such as Cheese brie 100g, Cheese Halloumi 100g. Lamb Leg 100g or Lamb mince 100g etc. It's working for me so far Thank you thank you thank you to kpk54 B)o:):)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    edited: The 'not able to delete' crap of the My Foods list was the worst. There's stuff in there that I haven't eaten for 3 years and it's STILL on the list. MFP Food Diary is kinda like the dust bunnies under the bed. You know you have to deal with it at some point, but prefer to turn away and close your eyes, :D

This made me laugh. So true.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I suppose it's time to sweep out the dust bunnies now that they've given us a 'broom.' I should look again. :D
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    I was doing a pot roast and it kept coming up 21 carbs per serving. I went hunting, the garlic powder had been entered at 145 carbs per teaspoon!!