Oils for weight loss

1235»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Personally, I need vegetables, vegetables have carbs.

I don't "need" added oils, but if a little olive oil (or some other oil) makes food taste extra good, why would I skip it. However, many recipes (especially eggplant) often involve more than is actually needed for taste, yes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I rediscovered oil as it makes my salads so much more palatable. Oil also is metabolized the slowest so for people who have trouble controlling their blood sugar levels it helps even everything out.

Now, how much oil makes a big difference. A tablespoon is plenty and very often a teaspoon is enough.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    The only days when I avoid oil or keep it low fat is when I'm eating 500 calories on my fast days...otherwise in my house the food is doused in oil. My mum uses about a cup of oil in her curries.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Skip the oil ! Our bodies don't need it. For most foods, cooking with water or baking works just as well. Ie. Chicken breast - season and put balsamic vinegar on them - pop in the oven

Perhaps skip the carbs instead? THAT is something we don't need

Actually scientifically speaking you have a fair point that we only have essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. So technically we don't need carbs...but I need to enjoy life so yeah. Life without peas, carrots and potato would be miserable.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap non stick frying pan? I want to reduce my oil using but my food just ends up burning!

I strongly recommend a cast iron frying pan. It's inexpensive and once seasoned, lasts for life.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/how-t0-season-a-cast-iron-skillet

But with cast iron you do need to still use oil. Especially before it’s well seasoned.

I use cast iron, stainless steel, and also have one calphalon nonstick pan for the stuff that just really wants to stick. Some people prefer the ceramic nonstick, but the only experience I have with that is one of my instant pot inserts.
  • cmtigger
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I've learnt something new today...you need to season (whatever that is) a cast iron frying pan!

Keeping it oiled even in storage and my nan only ever wiped out not washed

It’s fine to wash them. But yes, keep it oiled and dry it well between washing and oiling. My mom put them on a low burner, so that’s what I do.
  • cmtigger
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap non stick frying pan? I want to reduce my oil using but my food just ends up burning!

I use a ceramic coated pan and keep it seasoned.

Ceramic and Teflon don’t need seasoning. Neither does stainless. Just cast iron and steel.
  • cmtigger
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Maybe it's my old lady experience with early Teflon. I've thrown out several old Teflon frying pans, but never my cast iron.

Teflon eventually wears off. If you get a good one it lasts longer. The t-fal I had lasted about 10 years. The calphalon I have is lasting longer, but I don’t expect it to last forever. But I’m the only one in my house now and roommates were hard on the T-fal. Nobody else except the occasional family members who is visiting touches my pans now. And they know how to treat them.

I also have some cast iron. Some new I’ve bought. Some of my grandpa’s, I suspect one was “borrowed” from his mom. The old stuff is smoother. My mom is the only person who ever touches the cast iron. My siblings aren’t comfortable with it.

But both, as well as my stainless, have their uses. I’ve only kept one nonstick frying pan around for years.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    We may not need added oils in our diet, but it's handy to keep food from sticking to the pan.