Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are abs made in the kitchen?

1235»

Replies

• Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    I have had Abs & Flab, Both were made in the kitchen and exercise ( doing it or lack of it)
  • g_poleman
    g_poleman Posts: 36 Member
    For me it took both. Diet is huge. The better my diet the less exercise I needed to get what I wanted.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Brownies are also made in the kitchen.

The struggle is real.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think I gained a pound just by oggling that picture!
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Genetics are a thing. I was 5'11 and 165 pounds when I was 19. No Abs. For a dude that was active that's pretty much unheard of.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    No. Even when I puked my way down to 155# (6 feet tall) I had no six pack. Veins highly visible on my arms and legs. But not six pack.
    What one eats is just part of the equation. One must work to tone the muscles too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    No. Even when I puked my way down to 155# (6 feet tall) I had no six pack. Veins highly visible on my arms and legs. But not six pack.
    What one eats is just part of the equation. One must work to tone the muscles too.

one must work to build muscle....but there are ab muscles regardless and if at that weight you didn't get a six pack it's probably more of a genetic thing not an actual muscle thing.
  • Mine were made in a lab. Like the hulks.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Actually, the Hulk's were made in an open field where a gamma bomb was being tested.
  • But I'm a new 52 hulk abs kinda guy
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    What about, your abs were made in the lab, like Steve Rogers?
  • joelrivard
    joelrivard Posts: 13 Member
    Kitchen.
    When I get abs do do lift plus daily cardio but I do that year round. The only time I get abs is when I get my diet under strict control along with working out. So I have to say kitchen.

This most recent time I got lean I NEVER did any ab work and I have the best abs I've ever had. This is because I'm a little leaner than I ever was.

There was a time when I was lifting/cardio, walking at least 2 hrs daily (lived in Boston), was taking MMA class every other day (boxing one day, grappling 1 day etc..)and often doing morning cardio then weights at 6pm and then 2 hr class then walk 40 min home through the city. Basically training and walking all the time. I was eating clean but I was having cheat meals every couple of days (what I do in summer months) and I STILL was slowly losing my abs.
    By late September I had almost zero 6-pack. Then I'd bulk up and in January start the cutting phase again.

Point is even though I was burning all sorts of calories, eating pizza and having sweets (as an adult in my early 30's) every few days was still too much. My body did not need pizza and dessert and candy.
    It was a great lesson in how much of our modern diet is overkill.

• Maciuuu
    Maciuuu Posts: 17 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen. It means if you don t have a balanced food routine ,you’ll never get them no matter how long or hard you try.
  • Maciuuu
    Maciuuu Posts: 17 Member
    ... to train them.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Abs are made by staying out the kitchen as frequently as possible. Exercise will grow muscles. Fat loss will let you see them. Your milage may vary. NFL linemen spend lots of time in the kitchen and in the gym...no abs.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    Like any muscles, you need to develop them through training in order to make them get thicker and stronger....of course, if you have a high body fat%, they will likely hide underneath the fat. The more years of experience at the gym, the more your abs can pop out a little bit through higher body fat % (up to a certain point of course). Here's a good example of what I am talking about:
    Screenshot-2015-07-19-19.20.04-e1437325861799.png

Screenshot-2015-07-19-19.20.15-e1437325945879.png
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can exercise your way out of a bad or mediocre diet, so long as you control calories or do sufficient exercise that even with a bad diet you don't overeat.

Of course, if by a bad diet one means "more calories than one is burning," then it's a tautology.

You can certainly outrun a twinkie or a Bacon cheeseburger.

It's unlikely that you can outrun a box of twinkies and 4 bacon cheeseburgers

Here is your chance to try something similar, a bike race you can win by eating enough donuts to erase your time.

http://tourdedonut.org
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited August 2018
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Like any muscles, you need to develop them through training in order to make them get thicker and stronger....of course, if you have a high body fat%, they will likely hide underneath the fat. The more years of experience at the gym, the more your abs can pop out a little bit through higher body fat % (up to a certain point of course). Here's a good example of what I am talking about:
    Screenshot-2015-07-19-19.20.04-e1437325861799.png

Screenshot-2015-07-19-19.20.15-e1437325945879.png

It's hard to really tell without a side shot but no way is dude on the lower right at about 10% BF. Even without developed musculature, you should still be able to see some of the underlying structure, ribs, solar plexus, and likely some veins.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Abs are made in the gym, but revealed in the kitchen. If you don't work them, they won't be strong & if you don't eat right, you'll never see them.