• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    tess5036 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    It depends on what's sustainable to you.

I'm surprised that you're getting such high calories, though. Are you putting yourself as sedentary or active?

I’ve put myself as active! I usually get 10,000-15,000 steps a day as well as working out!

So are you including your exercise in your activity level AND eating your exercise calories on top of it? Is that what I'm reading?? So you're basically double eating the exercise calories? If that is the case - you should either 1) not eat back the exercise calories or 2) drop your activity level to not include exercise (which is how MFP was designed) and add exercise calories separate.

I personally wouldn't consider 10,000 steps to be very active but that's just me - I'm pretty darn sedentary and I can manage 10,000 with little effort. I agree with the above, if you're not losing on 1700 you're definitely not going to lose by eating more.

ALL OF THIS and also the bolded. 10,000 Is me grocery shopping and making TWO trips to my car instead of one, and maybe taking a 30 minute walk.

Serious question, how are you getting that many steps grocery shopping.... I can go grocery shopping for an hour and a half and get like 2500 steps. I know I miss some by not swinging my arm but there's legit no way that what you listed would get me near 10,000. How do you do it?!?! lol

Pro tip, put your step tracker on your shoe instead of your arm if you're pushing a grocery cart. This works for being a hairdresser, too, so that you're not counting arm swings.

The problem with that tip is - they look for impact to see a step.

With it on your foot, it'll only see the impact of 1 foot - so you are getting only 1/2 your steps.

Better to put it on your body, where many models are designed and started out anyway.
    They'll see both steps even if you have your hands locked on tight to shopping cart/stroller, ect.

I wear my fitbit on my ankle all the time and all my steps are counted accurately

As long as you tell the tracker where you're wearing it you should be fine.

Additionally, if it's on you foot you're going to get one impact when you land and another when you press off.

The accelerometers in modern activity trackers are quite a bit smarter than the ones in the old $3 ped trackers you hung on your belt.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I'm surprised that you're getting such high calories, though. Are you putting yourself as sedentary or active?

I’ve put myself as active! I usually get 10,000-15,000 steps a day as well as working out!

So are you including your exercise in your activity level AND eating your exercise calories on top of it? Is that what I'm reading?? So you're basically double eating the exercise calories? If that is the case - you should either 1) not eat back the exercise calories or 2) drop your activity level to not include exercise (which is how MFP was designed) and add exercise calories separate.

I personally wouldn't consider 10,000 steps to be very active but that's just me - I'm pretty darn sedentary and I can manage 10,000 with little effort. I agree with the above, if you're not losing on 1700 you're definitely not going to lose by eating more.

ALL OF THIS and also the bolded. 10,000 Is me grocery shopping and making TWO trips to my car instead of one, and maybe taking a 30 minute walk.

Serious question, how are you getting that many steps grocery shopping.... I can go grocery shopping for an hour and a half and get like 2500 steps. I know I miss some by not swinging my arm but there's legit no way that what you listed would get me near 10,000. How do you do it?!?! lol

Pro tip, put your step tracker on your shoe instead of your arm if you're pushing a grocery cart. This works for being a hairdresser, too, so that you're not counting arm swings.

With it on your foot, it'll only see the impact of 1 foot - so you are getting only 1/2 your steps.

Better to put it on your body, where many models are designed and started out anyway.
    They'll see both steps even if you have your hands locked on tight to shopping cart/stroller, ect.

I wear my fitbit on my ankle all the time and all my steps are counted accurately

Additionally, if it's on you foot you're going to get one impact when you land and another when you press off.

The accelerometers in modern activity trackers are quite a bit smarter than the ones in the old $3 ped trackers you hung on your belt.

Well, that being smarter is the kicker - the difference between an impact and an acceleration for a step. It can tell the difference, as that and hang time are used in getting a dynamic distance calculated for each step based on what's expected for weight and given stride length.
    It's why the minor incorrect steps while sometimes seen are also given minor distance and calorie burn. In the course of average person's day it doesn't matter. For those with great amount of hand motions compared to actual steps, as in OP's example, it could be decent amount off.

But if each acceleration was also seen as a step of correct distance, then wearing it on your hip would be counting 2 steps for each foot step, as you are pushing off after next foot impact.
    Besides dominate or non-dominate arm, Fitbit's don't have other options as to where worn. Though I know people use that setting to tweak accuracy when worn elsewhere.

Now running, where one foot is in the air when the other lands, can have some accuracy behind it since it can see that impact, just like being on a wrist. Someone tested that out for me jogging with their stroller for a known distance. Because while on wrist it was very off for distance, on ankle or hip not a problem.
    Ya, they wanted HR still while really wanting steps for competition, so attempt at reading pulse above ankle. That didn't work well.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member

Well, that being smarter is the kicker - the difference between an impact and an acceleration for a step. It can tell the difference, as that and hang time are used in getting a dynamic distance calculated for each step based on what's expected for weight and given stride length.
    It's why the minor incorrect steps while sometimes seen are also given minor distance and calorie burn. In the course of average person's day it doesn't matter. For those with great amount of hand motions compared to actual steps, as in OP's example, it could be decent amount off.

But if each acceleration was also seen as a step of correct distance, then wearing it on your hip would be counting 2 steps for each foot step, as you are pushing off after next foot impact.
    Besides dominate or non-dominate arm, Fitbit's don't have other options as to where worn. Though I know people use that setting to tweak accuracy when worn elsewhere.

Now running, where one foot is in the air when the other lands, can have some accuracy behind it since it can see that impact, just like being on a wrist. Someone tested that out for me jogging with their stroller for a known distance. Because while on wrist it was very off for distance, on ankle or hip not a problem.
    Ya, they wanted HR still while really wanting steps for competition, so attempt at reading pulse above ankle. That didn't work well.

1/2 the steps is better than no steps if you're holding on to a shopping cart and not swinging your arms around. What's the difference between swinging your arm and swinging your foot? Isn't the basically the same motion/speed?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

1/2 the steps is better than no steps if you're holding on to a shopping cart and not swinging your arms around. What's the difference between swinging your arm and swinging your foot? Isn't the basically the same motion/speed?

The problem is that as a hairdresser, she could stand in virtually the same exact spot for 3/4 of her day, but her arms are up/down, up/down thousands of time doing the work.

I can't believe we're still splitting hairs on this. :neutral:
  • heybales

Steps aren't based on swings - but impacts.

It tries to read impacts despite the swings.

Hands holding cart show little to no impact.

The amount of impact seen, compared to what was expected for known figures of weight and stride length, allow instant calculation of distance for that step seen.
    Distance and time is pace.
    Pace and weight are pretty accurate formula for calories.
    Except inclines, which give opposite effect on calories as what is seen for impacts.

But yes, 1/2 is better than none.
    But why not on the hip, or bra I've seen many recommend, and get them all and good distance?
    True, distance and calories for grocery store shuffle aren't huge anyway, usually, but if people are going to measure residual of food on a spoon as some do and say should be done ....
  • heybales

The problem is that as a hairdresser, she could stand in virtually the same exact spot for 3/4 of her day, but her arms are up/down, up/down thousands of time doing the work.

I can't believe we're still splitting hairs on this. :neutral:

Cutting split hairs?