Is it wrong to eat the Kangaroo - Our National Animal?

Options
13»

Replies

• NotEmphatic
    NotEmphatic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is not Chicken the Default Flavour of the Universe?
    (Apologies to English Author Douglas Adams...)
    I laugh mightily when Americans call Tuna Fish the 'Chicken of the Seas'.
    Ha, ha.
    But then...our American Friends consider Taco Bell to be Proper Food and their president wolfs down Maccas on Airforce One.
    I've made some baaaaadddddd decisions with chronic stomach cramps but I never had my finger on the nuclear button.
    Aint Life Strange??
    (Insert Smiley Face Here.)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any mammal meat because the efficiency is terrible - acres of crops end up as pounds of meat and because mammals are intelligent creatures that bond with humans.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    American here I eat a lot of wild game available in the US I would defiantly eat kangaroo if I lived there. If you have to cull the population why not eat them? We have a wild pig problem here you can just shoot them if they are on your property, but some people actually take the time to process the meat and give it to food banks. Wild pig is so good. I just got a fresh supply of venison last week YUM!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We have a burger chain in America that makes burgers out of:
    VENISON • ELK • LAMB • OSTRICH • RABBIT • CAMEL • DUCK • BOAR • BEAVER • KANGAROO • EMU • GATOR

But we're just dirty yanks, so what do we know? XD

ETA: the chain is Twisted Root Burgers
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    cblairnh wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I like it, but not as a steak. I eat it in chillis and bolognaise and as an entree, but I find it to gamey for a main meal. I hhave also eaten Emu, Crocodile and Witchety Grubs.

Aren't Grubs a bug??? What do they taste like? :o

Not a lot, really! They're more of a texture than a taste.

Slimy, yet satisfying?

They are mostly grilled. They are quite large and pulled out of trees where they live in a cavity that forms a bump. When grilled they are crunchy on the outside. Quite tasty I've heard. ;)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any mammal meat because the efficiency is terrible - acres of crops end up as pounds of meat and because mammals are intelligent creatures that bond with humans.

Maybe - but they taste really good - Eastcoast Jim
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big meat eater, but I enjoy a culinary adventure, and will sample a taste of most anything. Tried kangaroo once (there is a nearby restaurant that serves exotic game)...it was chicken fried (because I do live in the south) and a little tough and a little gamey. Far from the nastiest thing I've tasted (that would be sea cucumber...at a Chinese wedding banquet).

As for gator meat, it's served all over Florida...most frequently, fried (the south again)...but I've seen a number of other preparations as well. I describe it the same way as I describe frog legs...like fishy chicken. Not a favorite...but my kids will wolf down a plate of gator nuggets...especially if there is ranch dressing to dip them.)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Is it tasty?
    Is it an animal not normally known to be a pet?
    If the answers are yes, fire up the BBQ.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Australia is the one place that first argument may fall by the way side if an article I read once on that is accurate - supposedly a lot of land there that isn't all that suitable for farming, but OK for grazing.
  • NotEmphatic
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Australia is the one place that first argument may fall by the way side if an article I read once on that is accurate - supposedly a lot of land there that isn't all that suitable for farming, but OK for grazing.

Hi, you are correct about most of the land in Oz.
    Cattle tear up the soil terribly and degrade the land but kangas do not.
    And, of course, they are adapted to conditions of drought and plenty.
    Kangaroos cannot be farmed - stubbornly refuse to be managed.

aeloine, I love the idea of your chain that serves those exotic but sustainable meats.
    Brilliant!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Not to mention, the koalas are riddled with chlamidia (true story). Not all that appetising really.

If you didn't eat things based on the diseases they possessed, you wouldn't eat much. Plant and animal matter alike.

Chlamydia is a bacterial disease. If you cook your ground beef well to prevent contracting E. coli from contaminated beef, you can cook your koala well enough to prevent ingesting chlamydia contamination. You would probably statistically be at higher risk to contract Chlamydia pneumoniae from a koala urinating on you when you pick it up than eating one.

Based on a few comments here, sounds like you'd treat kangaroo like elk or deer preparation-wise. That's easy enough.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Not to mention, the koalas are riddled with chlamidia (true story). Not all that appetising really.

If you didn't eat things based on the diseases they possessed, you wouldn't eat much. Plant and animal matter alike.

Chlamydia is a bacterial disease. If you cook your ground beef well to prevent contracting E. coli from contaminated beef, you can cook your koala well enough to prevent ingesting chlamydia contamination. You would probably statistically be at higher risk to contract Chlamydia pneumoniae from a koala urinating on you when you pick it up than eating one.

Based on a few comments here, sounds like you'd treat kangaroo like elk or deer preparation-wise. That's easy enough.

Very much so. They even have a similar taste.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I’m curious as to where you got the statistics on disease transmission from eating koalas. Oh hang, on - you wrote probably.

I think you’d find most koalas wold scratch the guck out you before allowing a person to pick them up, while captive ‘tame’ for photos koalas have been treated with antibiotics to treat any chlamidia (if present) given that it leads to both blindness infertility and while running rampant in wild koala populations is one of the biggest threats to the demise of the species. Right up there with people and dogs and development.

Whatever. I still don’t find the idea of eating them particularly appetising but knock yourself out if you’re keen.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I’m curious as to where you got the statistics on disease transmission from eating koalas. Oh hang, on - you wrote probably.

I think you’d find most koalas wold scratch the guck out you before allowing a person to pick them up, while captive ‘tame’ for photos koalas have been treated with antibiotics to treat any chlamidia (if present) given that it leads to both blindness infertility and while running rampant in wild koala populations is one of the biggest threats to the demise of the species. Right up there with people and dogs and development.

Whatever. I still don’t find the idea of eating them particularly appetising but knock yourself out if you’re keen.

Heh, people don't realise how close to the truth the myth of "drop bears" are. Wild Koalas are mean little suckers.
  • NotEmphatic
    Options
    I wouldn't get within two feet of a kanga (or a koala...they always pee on visiting celebrities).
    I reckon Skippy the Bush Kangaroo of TV fame was on valium!