Q and A thread - Angus is peppered.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    amh927 wrote: »
    What are the best ways to strength train when you have limited ability to lift. I had a major surgery on my ribcage so I’m not supposed to lift more than 30 lbs ever. For exercise I’m mostly just walking but I would really like to get some core and arm strength back.

First and foremost I would suggest consulting a physical therapist or physician to make sure whatever you DO decide to lift is not contraindicated by your condition.

Due to this, it also limits the specific recommendations I could make (scope of practice and responsibility on my part).

But I can certainly include some general pieces of information:

1) You can achieve muscle hypertrophy with very light weights provided that you do enough work with those light weights and reach a high enough level of fatigue.

2) Do not push through pain, do not perform any exercises that cause pain.

When I was recovering from my hernia operation I maintained muscle with a 40lb load restriction and it was not difficult at all, I just had to do much higher training volumes and use some additional (but optional) techniques like occlusion training.

The 30lb load restriction will not likely be a significant barrier for muscle building at least not for a long while.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Giving this a nudge up -- I'll be checking this thread tonight as I get some other crap done. If anyone else has anything I'm happy to take a look. Thanks!
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    How do you build up to pullups? I know its random but it's one of my fitness goals. I just don't know how to get there at all.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Butterchop wrote: »
    How do you build up to pullups? I know its random but it's one of my fitness goals. I just don't know how to get there at all.

Ooh! @SideSteel helped me with my pullups. I started with eccentric pull ups. Interested to hear if he has more to add!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I did pull-ups on the assisted machine, and negative pull-ups, and band-assisted pull-ups. It took about a year of this, two or three times a week, before I could do a real pull-up.

Sorry, @sidesteel. I keep barging into your thread. Ban hammer me if you want.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I did pull-ups on the assisted machine, and negative pull-ups, and band-assisted pull-ups. It took about a year of this, two or three times a week, before I could do a real pull-up.

Hah, I can't ban anyone. I'm not a moderator here, just a regular old dude.

And even if I were, I wouldn't ban you and it doesn't bother me that you are posting =)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

And even if I were, I wouldn't ban you and it doesn't bother me that you are posting =)

;) I was mostly teasing. Your pull-up answer was amazing and the detail was awesome, BTW!
  • SideSteel
    Options

;) I was mostly teasing. Your pull-up answer was amazing and the detail was awesome, BTW!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it =)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Also regarding that long chin up post, I should add:

As you continue progressing you are basically adding sets first for several weeks, then you will increase reps per set and decrease sets initially, and then add sets again. Rinse/Repeat.

So for example if you start out being able to do 3 chin ups, you might start the program doing sets of 1. You do this for 6-8 weeks and test, and lets now suppose you can do a set of 5. At THAT point you would probably start the next cycle doing sets of 2 or 3 instead of sets of 1, but you'd follow the same general plan.

You are essentially just continually applying progressive overload by adding chin up volume over time, and we manage the number of reps per set to regulate per-set fatigue.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Do you have any diet tips? And can you post a before/after pic?

(Sorry. I had to. Happy Friday!)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I created a thread regarding this and have received some wonderful, insightful answers, but I was wondering what your take on this is.

I like weight lifting well enough, but there are things that I enjoy *more* (Zumba, swimming, yoga, etc). I have found a progressive resistance program I like (Starting Strength) that calls for 3 days a week. Many people on here also suggest 3-5 days of weight lifting.

Unfortunately, that's just not realistic for me (YET!). I can squeeze it in once (for sure) or twice (at most) a week. I do large compound movements (squat, DLs, bench, overhead presses), so it's not just auxiliary/isolation work.

I know that it won't HURT to lift, but is the difference between (1 or 2 times a week) and 3 times a week significantly different in terms of strength building? I'm not looking for insane physique results, just to maybe start filling out some areas that were fat-filled before. To put it bluntly, I am currently very soft and squishy. As I lose weight, I would like to become less soft and squishy, where resistance training should - theoretically - help.

In terms of background, I am 24/F/5'7"/~220. I have lost ~45-50 pounds this year, with ~80 to go.

One of the recurring comments on my thread was to either do full body every time or do upper/lower splits. My working assumption is that Starting Strength is a (more or less) full body routine (A/B split with A: DL, Bench, Squat; B: DL, OH Press, Squat. Eventually pull ups are incorporated but I'm not there yet).

The plan is to move to working out more times a week, but I'm trying to be realistic with what I can do without burning out, which right now is about 4 times a week, so I'm having to prioritize.

Feed back would be much appreciated.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Do you have any diet tips? And can you post a before/after pic?

(Sorry. I had to. Happy Friday!)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• SideSteel
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I created a thread regarding this and have received some wonderful, insightful answers, but I was wondering what your take on this is.

I like weight lifting well enough, but there are things that I enjoy *more* (Zumba, swimming, yoga, etc). I have found a progressive resistance program I like (Starting Strength) that calls for 3 days a week. Many people on here also suggest 3-5 days of weight lifting.

Unfortunately, that's just not realistic for me (YET!). I can squeeze it in once (for sure) or twice (at most) a week. I do large compound movements (squat, DLs, bench, overhead presses), so it's not just auxiliary/isolation work.

I know that it won't HURT to lift, but is the difference between (1 or 2 times a week) and 3 times a week significantly different in terms of strength building? I'm not looking for insane physique results, just to maybe start filling out some areas that were fat-filled before. To put it bluntly, I am currently very soft and squishy. As I lose weight, I would like to become less soft and squishy, where resistance training should - theoretically - help.

In terms of background, I am 24/F/5'7"/~220. I have lost ~45-50 pounds this year, with ~80 to go.

One of the recurring comments on my thread was to either do full body every time or do upper/lower splits. My working assumption is that Starting Strength is a (more or less) full body routine (A/B split with A: DL, Bench, Squat; B: DL, OH Press, Squat. Eventually pull ups are incorporated but I'm not there yet).

The plan is to move to working out more times a week, but I'm trying to be realistic with what I can do without burning out, which right now is about 4 times a week, so I'm having to prioritize.

I would not be able to quantify this accurately so I'll just make some generalizations:

1) Given all of your information I suspect you could do a good job maintaining muscle mass while you diet, by training two full body sessions per week.

2) I would expect you to get stronger training two full body sessions per week.

3) I would expect that you may plateau faster with 2/week sessions compared to 3 most likely on pressing movements.

4) I would expect that 3 sessions per week would allow you to progress faster or plateau later.

If I were you, I would try to commit to 2 sessions per week as your minimum, and perhaps there are weeks here and there where you get in a third session here and there, or perhaps in a few months you are able to add a third session should you choose to.

I have programmed clients for 2 days/week because sometimes that's what's on the table as far as schedule and/or desire to train. If that's the case, you're far better off doing 2 and sticking to it compared to attempted to do 4, failing, and then feeling like a failure and giving up.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

I would not be able to quantify this accurately so I'll just make some generalizations:

1) Given all of your information I suspect you could do a good job maintaining muscle mass while you diet, by training two full body sessions per week.

3) I would expect that you may plateau faster with 2/week sessions compared to 3 most likely on pressing movements.

4) I would expect that 3 sessions per week would allow you to progress faster or plateau later.

If I were you, I would try to commit to 2 sessions per week as your minimum, and perhaps there are weeks here and there where you get in a third session here and there, or perhaps in a few months you are able to add a third session should you choose to.

I have programmed clients for 2 days/week because sometimes that's what's on the table as far as schedule and/or desire to train. If that's the case, you're far better off doing 2 and sticking to it compared to attempted to do 4, failing, and then feeling like a failure and giving up.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. Your thoughtful response definitely helped resolve some hang ups I was having.

I suppose I haven't gotten to that point yet, but are plateaus a major concern in the weight lifting community?
    Do people try to combat them or just lift at (or near) their maximum going forward?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. Your thoughtful response definitely helped resolve some hang ups I was having.

I suppose I haven't gotten to that point yet, but are plateaus a major concern in the weight lifting community?
    Do people try to combat them or just lift at (or near) their maximum going forward?

If the goal is to maintain a physique or maintain muscle mass as you diet, they are much less of a concern.

If the goal is to cause muscle hypertrophy (grow muscle) they are a moderate concern. You can of course find other ways to progressively overload to compensate.

If the goal is to compete in a strength sport they are a very big concern.

I'd say for most people you should be attempting to get stronger in the compound movements until the cost of doing so becomes unreasonable to the individual. For example and just for context: the overweight senior citizen who is trying to improve her health markers, bone density, muscle mass, etc should also want to get stronger, but very quickly it will become unreasonable due to cost of effort. It's not likely she's going to add an additional training session and hire a strength coach and start undulating rep ranges and taking creatine and working on bench press technique and buy a belt and knee sleeves.

But a mid 20's single male who wants to compete in powerlifting or bodybuilding, or who really wants to get his abs to pop and hit a 300lb bench? He might do all of that and much more.

Obviously I'm being a bit ridiculous but I hope the point I'm making comes across as valid just to illustrate cost of effort and differences between individuals.

And to be very clear, it doesn't make either one of these people a better person.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wow, I just read all seven pages and I can’t believe this thread has flown totally under my radar all these months! And I even have a question I’ve been too embarrassed to ask elsewhere because it’s boring, personal, and makes me look kind of neurotic. But you asked for it! First, the basics: I’m a 34 year old woman, 5’2”, 164 lbs and losing about a pound a week on 1800-2000 net daily calories, aiming for 135 lbs.

I’ve been at this a little over a year now and feel really comfortable with the process generally, but have consistently struggled to hit my protein goals. I’ve been kind of blasé about it as I am rarely hungry and it’s not that low (I’m generally averaging 75g), but reading the earlier question on protein, I realize I probably should get serious about boosting it some. My goals here are basically all around strength and fitness, plus preserving muscle. I do 30-60 minute body weight interval or agility workouts 5-6 times a week (fitness blender) and stretch every night. I expect another year of deficit to my goal weight.

I’ve read a lot of the “how do I eat more protein?” threads and I understand the basic answer (eat more eggs, chicken, shakes, etc). The roadblock I keep running up against is that my meals have become very structured over the last year and I’m really reluctant to change that given how well everything else is working for me. I also am not usually satiated drinking my calories. Go ahead and tell me to suck it up and drink a shake for breakfast if that’s the bottom line here. But I’d love to get some more specific suggestions on how to reach a solid protein intake with minimal structural impact to my diet. Hard no on yogurt (barf) but I’m pretty good eating anything else. My diary is open.

I use a TDEE/weekly average model: roughly 1665 calories in, approx 175 exercise not eaten back, twice a week “refeed” averaging 2000-3000 additional calories (i.e. drinking and eating lots of carbs mostly) ending up at that 1900 ish average. I usually skip breakfast and lunch the day after a refeed. Although I occasionally have a sandwich for lunch or fast food for dinner, most days look like this (I know the math isn’t perfect, sorry):

Breakfast (215 kcal, 12.5g protein): coffee, string cheese, fruit

Lunch (550 kcal, 30g): one hard boiled egg, 1-2 ounces of cheese, fruit and/or raw veggies, 1-2 oz meat (usually cured), 1-2 oz crackers, a small portion of nuts, seeds, or chocolate.

Snack (120 kcal, 4.5g): 1.5 oz feta and olives in olive oil

Dinner (650 kcal, 30-60g): 3-4 times a week I eat whatever my husband cooks, calories estimated, if it’s higher on the protein side I usually make my daily target, but it’s not averaging out. The other days are usually more of the same as lunch, often with a can of tuna, usually hitting about 30g protein. I usually also drink a half cup of milk.

Snack (250 kcal, 0g): red wine and jelly beans

Sorry for all the detail - like I said above, kind of neurotic, but so it goes. Thanks!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    This question wss triggered by the pull-up progression sub thread.

Would you be willing to say a little more about how you think about volume, fatigue & recovery - the relationship between per-workout fatigue and inter-workout recovery, if there are rules of thumb to avoid avoid stalling progress or raising injury risk, what warning signs there might be, or really anything in that neighborhood?

As an older person (62) my experience-based perception is that I need a little more recovery time or intensity/volume caution than I did a decade or two ago; and that minor injury (maybe even fatigue/weakness) that can result from "too much" has a higher cost in the sense that I also seem to de-train a tiny bit faster if I have to back off my workout routine due to minor injuries and such. Still, I like to push myself (but safely).

I'm really asking about concepts or rules of thumb I can apply in my mixed-modes framework.

From a PP, you may recall that I'm a rower, which involves some small strength/resistance, but very substantial reps. ;) At this point, I'm better off if I don't row hard every day in season (recovery needs, marginal knee), but every other is OK, and things like spinning or biking work on the alternate days, even though there's some leg action.

But I tend to avoid any serious resistance leg work in rowing season based on fears about under-recovery. I can keep some upper-body work going in rowing season, but tend to drop out things that use the same muscles in the same general way as rowing but keep some that are complementary (upper body push, like bench press, for example).

So, I'm wondering if you have any general principles you can share about volume, fatigue, recovery, that might help me clarify my thinking about how to balance stresses from varied activities, while pushing myself a bit.

I know this is an abstract, messy question, so "No" is a perfectly valid answer! ;) If you even know of sources I could use to self-educate a bit, that would be hepful.

Thanks. :)

• SideSteel
    Options
    Wow, I just read all seven pages and I can’t believe this thread has flown totally under my radar all these months! And I even have a question I’ve been too embarrassed to ask elsewhere because it’s boring, personal, and makes me look kind of neurotic. But you asked for it! First, the basics: I’m a 34 year old woman, 5’2”, 164 lbs and losing about a pound a week on 1800-2000 net daily calories, aiming for 135 lbs.

I’ve been at this a little over a year now and feel really comfortable with the process generally, but have consistently struggled to hit my protein goals. I’ve been kind of blasé about it as I am rarely hungry and it’s not that low (I’m generally averaging 75g), but reading the earlier question on protein, I realize I probably should get serious about boosting it some. My goals here are basically all around strength and fitness, plus preserving muscle. I do 30-60 minute body weight interval or agility workouts 5-6 times a week (fitness blender) and stretch every night. I expect another year of deficit to my goal weight.

I’ve read a lot of the “how do I eat more protein?” threads and I understand the basic answer (eat more eggs, chicken, shakes, etc). The roadblock I keep running up against is that my meals have become very structured over the last year and I’m really reluctant to change that given how well everything else is working for me. I also am not usually satiated drinking my calories. Go ahead and tell me to suck it up and drink a shake for breakfast if that’s the bottom line here. But I’d love to get some more specific suggestions on how to reach a solid protein intake with minimal structural impact to my diet. Hard no on yogurt (barf) but I’m pretty good eating anything else. My diary is open.

I use a TDEE/weekly average model: roughly 1665 calories in, approx 175 exercise not eaten back, twice a week “refeed” averaging 2000-3000 additional calories (i.e. drinking and eating lots of carbs mostly) ending up at that 1900 ish average. I usually skip breakfast and lunch the day after a refeed. Although I occasionally have a sandwich for lunch or fast food for dinner, most days look like this (I know the math isn’t perfect, sorry):

Lunch (550 kcal, 30g): one hard boiled egg, 1-2 ounces of cheese, fruit and/or raw veggies, 1-2 oz meat (usually cured), 1-2 oz crackers, a small portion of nuts, seeds, or chocolate.

Dinner (650 kcal, 30-60g): 3-4 times a week I eat whatever my husband cooks, calories estimated, if it’s higher on the protein side I usually make my daily target, but it’s not averaging out. The other days are usually more of the same as lunch, often with a can of tuna, usually hitting about 30g protein. I usually also drink a half cup of milk.

Sorry for all the detail - like I said above, kind of neurotic, but so it goes. Thanks!

I'll give a few suggestions but when clients ask me about food suggestions (which is essentially what this is) I think soliciting a group of people is a better method. So when this happens with a client on a Skype call I will ask them to post it to our client group on facebook, because now there's 50+ people who are mostly diet-conscious people who can provide different suggestions based on their preferences.

Having said that, I see the most opportunity in breakfast and the two snacks, and we also have at least some evidence that a decent sized protein feeding at breakfast can better regulate appetite later in the day.

You could add in whey protein (you don't necessarily need to drink it, you could use it to make a beltsander brownie for example). You could try cottage cheese (I hate this food but many people love it), you could try other dairy products with low fat so that it doesn't add calories.

I would actually consider the addition of whey protein to be the least disruptive to your current diet habits and you could easily add in 1 to 2 scoops per day to make a significant increase to your protein.

Sorry I don't have much more to add -- but I'll also suggest you just make a post about it in the public forums here because it will allow you to solicit feedback from a lot of people who all have different taste preferences, and that's the sort of situation you WANT for an issue like this because someone may have an idea that I'll never come up with, and you might love it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I'll give a few suggestions but when clients ask me about food suggestions (which is essentially what this is) I think soliciting a group of people is a better method. So when this happens with a client on a Skype call I will ask them to post it to our client group on facebook, because now there's 50+ people who are mostly diet-conscious people who can provide different suggestions based on their preferences.

Having said that, I see the most opportunity in breakfast and the two snacks, and we also have at least some evidence that a decent sized protein feeding at breakfast can better regulate appetite later in the day.

You could add in whey protein (you don't necessarily need to drink it, you could use it to make a beltsander brownie for example). You could try cottage cheese (I hate this food but many people love it), you could try other dairy products with low fat so that it doesn't add calories.

I would actually consider the addition of whey protein to be the least disruptive to your current diet habits and you could easily add in 1 to 2 scoops per day to make a significant increase to your protein.

Sorry I don't have much more to add -- but I'll also suggest you just make a post about it in the public forums here because it will allow you to solicit feedback from a lot of people who all have different taste preferences, and that's the sort of situation you WANT for an issue like this because someone may have an idea that I'll never come up with, and you might love it.

Good point about the crowd sourcing. Im a lot more confident responding to other people’s posts than starting my own, for never reason. I’ll have to look into ideas for integrating powder. I don’t hate the idea of shakes, but they all seem to be around 150 calories so would wipe out most of my morning food. I’ve also thought about swapping out my evening wine and sweets (sobs) on days when I’m low after dinner. I generally let my husband pick what we eat, so it’s trip I don’t mind cottage cheese, but since I’d probably be swapping out the string cheese for it in the am, I’m not sure I’d get much net gain.