Has Weight Watchers gone insane?

Replies

• danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Me too. I did WW in the 90s and it was the 1-2-3 Success program. As far as I can remember the points were based on calories and fat, and only fruit and veg were zero points. I've still got some of the recipe books and the little cardboard points calculator. You were given extra points for exercise (I used all mine on beer). Looking at my progress during the time I was doing it, the weight came off very, very slowly. Too much beer and 'free' foods I guess.

Were we in the same WW meetings in the Boston area in the late 90's haha j/k.
    I used my exercise points for beer too because that's how I stayed sane until I totally fell off the wagon. Got down to 174 on my wedding day. Man I would love to be there again. Slowly but surely!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    But who eats a whole pineapple? I love it, but that's a lot of food.

How do you think people get fat???

Maybe it's a blessing that, while I can enjoy pineapple in moderation, too much gives me cankers, then.

Too much makes my tongue burn. Same with kiwi fruit!
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    I had a ww person who kept saying fat makes people fat so I bought low fat everything and ending up getting no where cause of the sugar they added to replace the fat.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Thats weird, I could eat a dozen eggs and half a chicken by myself tbh. I used to eat half watermelons to myself, bag of shrimp. lol How tf aren't these considered risky to overeat?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    For me at least glassyo, sugar is addictive so I see Marykaylady2's point. Some of WW - not very nice anyway - cakes, are almost 50% sugar.

Im not sure that's how marykaylady2010 meant it but I get that too. I love my carbs. It still doesn't mean it was the actual sugar (or any kind of carby goodness for me or cake for you) that hindered weight loss or caused weight gain. It was eating at or over our calorie goals. Addiction is more of a personal obstacle.

For what it's worth, I lost all of my weight averaging 300 grams of carbs a day and definitely not being afraid of sugar just fine. And, yes, I've used the word addicted too.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    For me at least glassyo, sugar is addictive so I see Marykaylady2's point. Some of WW - not very nice anyway - cakes, are almost 50% sugar.

Im not sure that's how marykaylady2010 meant it but I get that too. I love my carbs. It still doesn't mean it was the actual sugar (or any kind of carby goodness for me or cake for you) that hindered weight loss or caused weight gain. It was eating at or over our calorie goals. Addiction is more of a personal obstacle.

For what it's worth, I lost all of my weight averaging 300 grams of carbs a day and definitely not being afraid of sugar just fine. And, yes, I've used the word addicted too.
    Many congratulations on you weight loss, you have done wonderfully well. As to sugar, I know that I cannot eat only one square of chocolate, I eat the whole bar, I don't think fat or the coco bean is addictive so can only blame the sugar. I have been known to eat a whole carrot cake, even though in the course of eating, I realize I'm no longer enjoying it. And not only carrot cake...

I'm sure I'm not alone in my addiction to sweet things, things made with sugar. Snow white and addictive.

Why do you not think it's the fat? Or the hyper-palatable combo of sugar & fat?

Most of the foods I have trouble moderating are fat-heavy : nuts and seeds, premium ice cream, chicken wings, cheese. I don't think it's addictive though, I just really like it and need to be mindful.
    Lol, only the ice cream would call to me and tempt me from the freezer. Perhaps you're right and I may just have to tighten my resolve. The only way for me is just don't buy anything that I know contains sugar. Yet I keep sugar in the house for any visitor who adds it to tea or coffee.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I thought it was crazy too. Chicken breasts are free! My friend is doing the new program and I thought he had it wrong, it was not possible that they are free... but I looked it up and they are... It would only take 5 chicken breasts, and nothing else the entire day, to put me over. How can that be CICO?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm not sure which is more comical, WW or the Special K nourish/feed it campaign. Special K, the corn/grain "diet" wasn't working. Wow, who could have seen that feeding lots of grains doesn't work for weight loss! So Special K stopped calling it a diet and now their commercials are "feed it"... I think it's just WW's way of giving in and saying, "it's not a diet" so more people join. Profits over reality.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Agreed, MikePfirrman, they are desperate because their profits a losing so much weight they're nearly at starvation level.