Calorie Counter

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

1848586878890»

Replies

• XiaolongbaoXiaolongbao Member Posts: 825 Member Member Posts: 825 Member
    Given that we moved at the beginning of July, we had large piles of deconstructed cardboard boxes in unused corners. They are now all either bagged or boxed and in one large pile in the garage, and I am researching recycling options. We're going to borrow a truck soon, so it makes sense to take them somewhere in one go when we have the truck.

Last time I moved I advertised all the boxes as a free giveaway on a local Facebook group. They were snapped up almost immediately. The guy who took them was moving his mother and was very thankful to get them all. You could try something like that.

• hiparihipari Member, Premium Posts: 918 Member Member, Premium Posts: 918 Member
    Given that we moved at the beginning of July, we had large piles of deconstructed cardboard boxes in unused corners. They are now all either bagged or boxed and in one large pile in the garage, and I am researching recycling options. We're going to borrow a truck soon, so it makes sense to take them somewhere in one go when we have the truck.

Last time I moved I advertised all the boxes as a free giveaway on a local Facebook group. They were snapped up almost immediately. The guy who took them was moving his mother and was very thankful to get them all. You could try something like that.

Last time I moved it was due to plumbing being redone at our aparment complex. They did it block by block, and every block had to vacate for 10 weeks and then we could move back in. Once we moved back, I simply looked at the work plan and put a piece of paper on the bulletin board in the next block to move out saying ”free boxes at block X, call this number”. A mom and her two toddlers came to pick them up in less than 3 hours, and she said that was the first thing she had managed to do for the move. They were due to vacate in 2 days and she looked so exhausted and grateful for the boxes she was about to cry harder than her toddlers.

Lesson of the story: donate those boxes, someone probably needs them.

I’m scheduled to move again just before Christmas. We bought an apartment in a new building that’s being constructed, and the estimated move-in date is exactly one week before Christmas Eve. I’ve been decluttering and going through things way too slowly, I need to read this thread for inspiration!

I’ve been struggling even with daily cleaning and decluttering. My husband is currently a stay-at-home husband and in charge of all chores (he’s furloughed), and he asked me to pick up all of my stuff from the floors so he can run the Roomba tomorrow while I’m at work. It took a whopping 7 minutes to clear shoes, bags, laundry and other random junk that had fallen on the floors. I really have no excuses.
  • suzij27suzij27 Member Posts: 62 Member Member Posts: 62 Member
    I am tired of holding on to things “just in case” I might need it down the road. 20+ years ago I had a roommate who had moved many times in her life (on average once a year). Her theory was to give it away and buy it again if needed. I could not understand it at the time, but it makes sense to me now. Even better would be to borrow it when needed and not buy at all whenever possible. 🤣
  • tnh2otnh2o Member Posts: 106 Member Member Posts: 106 Member
    Even though I am not much of a clutterbug I would also keep things "just in case" No more. I moved twice in the past year and I'm continuing to downsize. Any clothes that don't fit by the end of year are going. I also realized I had stuff for the life I thought I was going to have. I live in the woods during a pandemic with a bunch of crystal. I'll put that in the "to go" pile too.
  • Madwife2009Madwife2009 Member Posts: 1,370 Member Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Spent a day this week shredding boxes of paperwork that went back as far as 1989. It was a job I'd been putting off for way too long but it's done now. It probably took a lot longer than it should have as some of it invoked memories of days out, holidays, etc.

Anyone want some animal bedding?
  • MiaBella444MiaBella444 Member Posts: 39 Member Member Posts: 39 Member
    barbp7 wrote: »
    I can definitely identify with your post. Being a clutter-bug has been a lifelong struggle, same as my weight. Don't have any tips yet, but I hope to be going through my clothes closet after a few more pounds. Struggling to decide if I should get rid of the too-big clothes. Hard to let go of anything. Ya never know when ya might need it :(

I got rid of my size up clothes and then I quit smoking. I also started meds that are prone to adding on weight. Then I had nothing to wear. After getting some clothes that I can wear and make me feel good, I chose to space saver bag them next time as I lose weight. I will just try to be frugal about what I save (and buy) and make sure I keep the basics. Everything else in my house is getting decluttered.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,161 Member Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    Some of the too-big, in good condition, I keep because my girlfriend has decided to lose weight, and while she's not anywhere near being able to use my size 20 jeans, it'll be nice when she gets there for us to have them. But if it's not in condition to be worn (I have a tendency to wear my shirts all the way out) then when it's too big for me I just trash it. If I wouldn't pass it on to her as a gift and be okay with her wearing it as it is, then I won't keep it.
  • Sand_TIgerSand_TIger Member Posts: 322 Member Member Posts: 322 Member
    I've been having fun getting rid of some of the various miscellaneous plastic storage containers - recycling them - and slowly replacing them with Pyrex or equivalent. Quality dishes like that make meal prep easier and more fun. Gets rid of lots of clutter too!