Can you really eat whatever you want?

1235»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why can't people just drop it already. I'll re-state. If anything means continuously eating unhealthy then you probably shouldn't. My original one line statement was that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're consuming less than you burn but for health you probably shouldn't. Key word was ANYTHING. Because it's open to interpretation. You probably shouldn't eat just anything you want if it's in excess or incredibly unhealthy.

I didn't really think that statement would be such a huge deal to so many.

If you're eating anything in excess, then it already violates the parameters put forth that a person is within their calories.

Name a food that is incredibly unhealthy?

Pretty much anything containing high-fructose corn syrup is the first thing I think of. I really don't need people to keep trying to make me feel stupid though.

HFCS, what "health" blog or Instagram page did you get this info from? Did they have a PhD in Youtube and a doctorate in social media?

I got it from my freshman year biology class.

Ok, so what specifically are you concerned about with HFCS? As mentioned above, it is not significantly different in composition than other types of sugar - it is liquid and fairly cheap to use in mass production - but what are your specific concerns that you think anything with it is inherently unhealthy?

You have gotten pretty defensive about the comments you're receiving but you come onto the boards guns blazing in several threads, making sweeping generalizations and vague insinuations, tout being a "bio major" yet you haven't really delved into any scientific discussions or clarified your stance when people are asking for more details. Telling me that a lecture from freshmen biology is the reason for your perspective on HFCs doesn't actually explain WHY you think it's a concern. And don't worry about getting too technical, I have a chemistry degree.

watch the lecture I posted then tell me if you are unconcerned by HFCS

I also have a chemistry degree but that is utterly irrelevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QXFJNKWXs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Also, I took college biology (and AP bio in high school before that), and I don't recall either talking about debates regarding human nutrition really, especially not HFCS. Seems an odd topic to get into, so I also suspect it may have been the prof going off about some idea.

Back in jr high I had a science teacher who would say some whacky things which I repeated to my dad (who was an engineer) and he (not being very tactful, my dad), would say "that's stupid." Amusingly, one of the things I recall was that people like football players who get big muscles end up fat because the muscle turns to fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    damdam96 wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey/life style change in about April. I did really well for the first few months through sticking to 1,200 calories a day, regular walks/jogs and low carbs.

But I fell of the wagon over summer when I went backpacking and struggled to sort myself out when I got back...but I'm now on week 2 back at it!

Basically I'm trying the low carbs combined with general healthy eating thing again. Mainly, because it makes it easier to maintain my calorie deficit and protein makes me feel fuller...

But every so often I find myself craving hot wings from the chicken shop (lol), popcorn, burgers and cake....

So what I want to know is...does it matter what you eat, if you can fit it under your calorie count? Will I still lose weight if were to, for example, eat a bag of popcorn for dinner if it fit in my daily calorie consumption? Does low carbs make you lose weight faster?

I think it depends on what one wants. In my case I no long want food containing any added sugar or any form of any grain so I can stay stuffed and maintain my weight loss and have improving health markers.

Now changing my wants turned out to be the hard part for the first two weeks to two months of eating LCHF but three years later the success is still awesome so I still want to keep eating this way at age 66.

I do encourage younger people to find the way that gives you the best long term health gains like I had wished I had done but at least at 66 health is finally improving after years of going in the wrong direction.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited December 2017
    I seriously don’t know what I’d do without popcorn. I have it almost every night. 200 calories for a huge bowl that’s very filling and keeps me out of the cookie bag!!
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Why can't people just drop it already. I'll re-state. If anything means continuously eating unhealthy then you probably shouldn't. My original one line statement was that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're consuming less than you burn but for health you probably shouldn't. Key word was ANYTHING. Because it's open to interpretation. You probably shouldn't eat just anything you want if it's in excess or incredibly unhealthy.

I didn't really think that statement would be such a huge deal to so many.

If you're eating anything in excess, then it already violates the parameters put forth that a person is within their calories.

Name a food that is incredibly unhealthy?

Pretty much anything containing high-fructose corn syrup is the first thing I think of. I really don't need people to keep trying to make me feel stupid though.

HFCS, what "health" blog or Instagram page did you get this info from? Did they have a PhD in Youtube and a doctorate in social media?

I got it from my freshman year biology class.

Ok, so what specifically are you concerned about with HFCS? As mentioned above, it is not significantly different in composition than other types of sugar - it is liquid and fairly cheap to use in mass production - but what are your specific concerns that you think anything with it is inherently unhealthy?

You have gotten pretty defensive about the comments you're receiving but you come onto the boards guns blazing in several threads, making sweeping generalizations and vague insinuations, tout being a "bio major" yet you haven't really delved into any scientific discussions or clarified your stance when people are asking for more details. Telling me that a lecture from freshmen biology is the reason for your perspective on HFCs doesn't actually explain WHY you think it's a concern. And don't worry about getting too technical, I have a chemistry degree.

watch the lecture I posted then tell me if you are unconcerned by HFCS

I also have a chemistry degree but that is utterly irrelevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The poster I was responding to has been flouting her educational experience to appeal to authority.

I've watched that video. You should give this a read...
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

No, you asked what "health" or nutrition blog I got the information from. It was pretty condescending. I know what credible sources are and I am well aware that fitness sites and blogs are rarely credible and I don't lap up information from there. I actually first learned about it from my freshman year bio class and went home and researched it. It was years ago and I'm not really interested in continuing to debate and be patronized on here because I know that if I present sources and information here people will continue to debate in the same manner. There's a debate section of these forums and if I wanted to do that I'd be posting there.