How to use the USDA food Database + MFP food Database for accurate logging.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Hahaha omg i love that one. Bubble kids!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Okay I wanna try this when I get home.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Right?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Bump.

I'm still not home. Lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    tumblr_o4rh6jsvZW1udh5n8o1_500.gif
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Poor boyfriend tonight.. as soon as i read that email about the benefits all i did was cry and cry. He doesn't know what to do.. so he just hugs me cause i told him that would probably be the best thing, i tend to get irritable when im upset if im asked too many questions.. lol

I got a call today from another Shannex nursing home.. I had submitted a resume with them before getting hired at edible arrangements, I applied for Kitchen wait staff, which is just a fancy term for what i used to do which was dietary, so i had 6 years experience. They asked me to come in for an interview next week, so I am going to that. There is potential to get myself back up to 14.45 an hour with this job and i could really use something good right now.

Now I'm confused about the job title 'dietary'. At first I thought you meant along the lines of dietitian but now it's more about restaurant work. I;d have thought 'dietary' was a fancy name was wait staff rather than the other way around. What do you mean by diploma? high school or college.

Good look with college and you new job. I'm just about to start my nurse training.

Dietary is more like restaurant work. We had a 12 hour shift, started at 7am, you prepare breakfast, make coffee, tea, set the tables up, pour drinks and then as the CCA's wake up the residents and finish their care, they bring them out for breakfast, you ask them what they want, make it, bring it out, at the end of breakfast you clean all the dishes, clean up breakfast and tidy up the dining room, after break, its generally the same routine again for lunch, get lunch ready, set tables, pour drinks, tea, coffee, serve the meal and dessert, collect the dishes, do them, etc.. same with supper, end of the night you do more detailed cleaning after the dining room is clean, like mopping the floors, cleaning the dishwasher, restock, etc and you leave at 7pm.

We worked along side a registered dietitan, she would get to know the residents dietary needs, like if they had allergies, needed minced or puree diets, thickened juices, etc and we were responsible for making sure the residents were given the diet they required or not given foods with their allergies, or high sodium, or needed increased water intake, meal replacement drinks, some residents who were puree could not have puree breads or other thicker type purees. We were responsible for 25 residents per unit.

High school diploma is what i am doing, I dropped out after grade 9. Which here is considered jr high school, not high school which i know in some places it's different. So i did not earn any credits, so i have 12 to get now. In january i take Biology and then an elective course. I took an elective between sept and Dec it was digital technologies which taught how to use word, excel and power point. The next elective is called Career skills development. I do not know what exactly is involved in this class.

I opted to not continue with my new job. Considering all thats happened since March, i feel like while a job is important to live that it's easier for me to get a job then it is to get to see my father, so i picked family. I have that job interview for the nursing home next week, I will take that if they offer it to me, it's close enough to my leave date for seeing my dad that i could request to start after the holidays.

Good luck with your nursing, it's a hard work load, but worth it at the end.

wow care homes are nothing like that over here. Dietitan's aren't directly employed as far as I'm aware, there must be community ones via GPs though that check peoples swallowing for those having difficulties etc. All we have in the kitchens is a chef plus assistants and a list of what residents can & can't eat etc.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Poor boyfriend tonight.. as soon as i read that email about the benefits all i did was cry and cry. He doesn't know what to do.. so he just hugs me cause i told him that would probably be the best thing, i tend to get irritable when im upset if im asked too many questions.. lol

I got a call today from another Shannex nursing home.. I had submitted a resume with them before getting hired at edible arrangements, I applied for Kitchen wait staff, which is just a fancy term for what i used to do which was dietary, so i had 6 years experience. They asked me to come in for an interview next week, so I am going to that. There is potential to get myself back up to 14.45 an hour with this job and i could really use something good right now.

Now I'm confused about the job title 'dietary'. At first I thought you meant along the lines of dietitian but now it's more about restaurant work. I;d have thought 'dietary' was a fancy name was wait staff rather than the other way around. What do you mean by diploma? high school or college.

Good look with college and you new job. I'm just about to start my nurse training.

Dietary is more like restaurant work. We had a 12 hour shift, started at 7am, you prepare breakfast, make coffee, tea, set the tables up, pour drinks and then as the CCA's wake up the residents and finish their care, they bring them out for breakfast, you ask them what they want, make it, bring it out, at the end of breakfast you clean all the dishes, clean up breakfast and tidy up the dining room, after break, its generally the same routine again for lunch, get lunch ready, set tables, pour drinks, tea, coffee, serve the meal and dessert, collect the dishes, do them, etc.. same with supper, end of the night you do more detailed cleaning after the dining room is clean, like mopping the floors, cleaning the dishwasher, restock, etc and you leave at 7pm.

We worked along side a registered dietitan, she would get to know the residents dietary needs, like if they had allergies, needed minced or puree diets, thickened juices, etc and we were responsible for making sure the residents were given the diet they required or not given foods with their allergies, or high sodium, or needed increased water intake, meal replacement drinks, some residents who were puree could not have puree breads or other thicker type purees. We were responsible for 25 residents per unit.

High school diploma is what i am doing, I dropped out after grade 9. Which here is considered jr high school, not high school which i know in some places it's different. So i did not earn any credits, so i have 12 to get now. In january i take Biology and then an elective course. I took an elective between sept and Dec it was digital technologies which taught how to use word, excel and power point. The next elective is called Career skills development. I do not know what exactly is involved in this class.

I opted to not continue with my new job. Considering all thats happened since March, i feel like while a job is important to live that it's easier for me to get a job then it is to get to see my father, so i picked family. I have that job interview for the nursing home next week, I will take that if they offer it to me, it's close enough to my leave date for seeing my dad that i could request to start after the holidays.

Good luck with your nursing, it's a hard work load, but worth it at the end.

wow care homes are nothing like that over here. Dietitan's aren't directly employed as far as I'm aware, there must be community ones via GPs though that check peoples swallowing for those having difficulties etc. All we have in the kitchens is a chef plus assistants and a list of what residents can & can't eat etc.

Interesting.

The nursing home I was at had a production kitchen in the basement they cooked food for several of the surrounding area nursing homes within the company. So about 2000 meals per day.

There was 4 to 5 cooks and then they had bakers come in for evenings to do the desserts and stuff. They had panners who sorted all the food per units and then we picked it up downstairs and the rest got sent out by trucks for delivery.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    kkvsvbfjy6zb.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Funniest bump ever!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Thanks, well done. I saw this earlier.

:flowerforyou:

HOW HARD would it be to fix the garlic?

I have observed the garlic and other issues be fixed and unfixed.

I used to create tickets for Support and follow up on them, but it was really frustrating, including how they define "Resolved" as meaning "I have nothing further to email the person" rather than "this person's issue has been resolved." ಠ_ಠ
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Lol thanks.. I love the look of WTF on her face
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    0huxqjxdt1jc.gif
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    p77e0t5um20k.gif
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    capfvky262x0.jpg
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    capfvky262x0.jpg

Awwww. Cute kitty <3
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Thanks :) That was Misery back when she was 7 weeks old. lol

Now she looks like this...

0fcam2l61lj2.jpg

She's a chunky old bag now haha.. But she's my soulmate ♥
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Bumpity bump bump
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    I know I'm late as hell but thanks for this Kriss, I've been googling calories per ounce for foods and worrying I wasn't accurate this will help immensely.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Fashionably late is better then never! Glad I could help.

Back in the day I used to use Google too.. I honestly forget how I discovered the database..
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Bump