When you want to give up..

Options
2»

Replies

• MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What do you do personally when you are disappointed with the scale and feel like giving up?

I say "bad scale" and threaten to buy a new one if it doesn't get its *kitten* together.

Seriously though, don't weigh yourself all the time if you know you're an emotional person and may react that way. Find other ways to "win" and remove anything the causes negative feelings in your life. That goes beyond losing/gaining weight.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Mindset! It is all about mindset and positive thoughts. We humans are crazy creatures! We all have our own demons. I call mine "hamster wheel". To me, my hamster wheel is when I engage in that internal conversation and it just spins around, faster and faster, consuming all sorts of energy and it goes NOWHERE!

If there are things that trigger you - for example, the number on the scale - then remove these triggers. For now.

But, you have to learn to master those things. Start by recognizing them. Then recognize how you respond to them. Then change the response. Anyway, could write books on that. Wont here! Yes, you are most welcome! LOL!

@WendyJoy76 said it.....be kind to yourself. I use a different phrase. But the concept is the same. Pay yourself! That is the phrase that I use. So, same thing. Celebrate small victories. That is HUGE.

So, if you suffer a trigger and you do the same stupid things that you always do *BUT* this time you recognize the trigger and you recognize the behavior *BUT* you did not change the behavior....shoot, girl, that is a win! You are recognizing things now. You will - and much sooner than you think - start changing the behavior. But for right now - you recognize both trigger and behavior. TOTAL WIN! Pay yourself.

We are all here to help. If you have issues you know what to do. It is too simple, right? Then how come it ain't easy? Good question. The answer - your "hamster wheel". You will get there. Just don't quit. If you quit then you fail. Anything else....success!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Take a week or two at maintenance and wait until after the holidays. You may feel like you just needed a break. There is only losing, gaining or maintaining. There is no quitting. You can do this. Stay strong.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Make a cup of tea.

Remember weight loss isn't linear.

Look at the scale as data. Not a personal judgement. Just information.

It can be frustrating figuring out what works and what doesn't. Or sometimes there is actually nothing wrong...water weight from working out more, you have...er...some constipation... All things that isn't more fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    What do you do personally when you are disappointed with the scale and feel like giving up?
    Realize that giving up leads to more disappointment. I tell my clients all the time that if they do give up and quit, then they can't ever complain about being unhappy about their weight or body ever again logically.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Try and take a look back at how I got there and then try not to repeat it.Don't give up just keep at it .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't put all of my stock in a number on the scale...it is in fact rather low on my list of things I look at to determine success...