Why does this food even exist?

1789101113»

Replies

• janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Also, eggnog, NO! WHY ARE YOU DRINKING RAW EGGS?! :# [/quote]

Commercial eggnog is pasterized(aka. Cooked till any nutrition is gone). In homemade egg nog, the salt and sugar cures the egg, which means it's like cooking the egg making it safe to consume. Jerky is cured as well, not cooked, though sometimes smoked.

I despise fruit cake, and tuna tartar, and octopus, and Folgers coffee(someone find them a real cup of coffee please!!)
  • janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Also Perrier water
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Relser wrote: »
    Eggnog- if it's not okay to eat raw cookie dough because of the raw eggs, why is okay to drink raw eggs????

Now I really, really, really want some coquito/eggnog. I was trying to forget it existed so I wouldn't drink ALL OF THE CALORIES this month. (Also didn't help that one of our friends brought some batches to salsa last night to sell).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    So, you take lime jello.
    You with me so far?
    Then you shred carrots and add it to the lime jello.
    THEN
    You spread mayonnaise on top of it.
    Because that's a thing people say "You know what this jello needs? Mayonnaise"
    My mother in law makes this on the regular.

There is also "glorified rice"
    So...you start with whipped cream, like you take the cream and you whip it, so homemade fresh whipped cream, which is nearly the world's most perfect food...
    and then...you add marachino cherries to it, which are really just the sad memories of cherries.
    THEN
    you add pineapple to it
    And maybe you're like "Eh, this is still okay, I do not find this hateful"
    BUT THEN
    you add rice.
    Because, again, that's a thing people say "you know what this whipped cream needs? Rice"

Anyway, my in-laws all eat it, like it's good.
    It's just a way to make whipped cream terrible.

I was done after Mayo on Jello!!! Nooooooooo. I hate jello anyway the thought off mayo on top.....It seems your mother in law cannot cook.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    So, you take lime jello.
    You with me so far?
    THEN

So...you start with whipped cream, like you take the cream and you whip it, so homemade fresh whipped cream, which is nearly the world's most perfect food...
    and then...you add marachino cherries to it, which are really just the sad memories of cherries.
    THEN
    you add pineapple to it
    BUT THEN
    you add rice.
    Because, again, that's a thing people say "you know what this whipped cream needs? Rice"

And I thought "rice cereal" with condensed milk, sugar and raisin was bad. It's almost like uncooked rice pudding.

arroz con dulce a Puerto Rican tradition just picked some up cant wait !
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    So, you take lime jello.
    You with me so far?
    THEN

THEN
    you add pineapple to it
    BUT THEN
    you add rice.

And I thought "rice cereal" with condensed milk, sugar and raisin was bad. It's almost like uncooked rice pudding.

Not a huge fan of raisins, personally (sans raisins, optionally with mango chunks instead=Yummier), but I'm not about to pass up the ones with raisins. (also optionally: molded mound of sticky rice in the pool of sweet milk and mango chunks =yum; or sticky rice covered in custard)... (... and now I'm craving the versions at the Burmese restaurant).
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Why is carrot cake a thing? Why in the world did someone look at cake and say to themselves, "This needs a vegetable"?

Oh my goodness, carrot cake is amazing...what's wrong with you woman!? :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2017
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Why is carrot cake a thing? Why in the world did someone look at cake and say to themselves, "This needs a vegetable"?

More likely they looked in the root cellar and said to themselves what can I do with all these carrots before they go bad. There was a time when 'waste not, want not' was a way of life.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    So, you take lime jello.
    You with me so far?
    THEN

THEN
    you add pineapple to it
    BUT THEN
    you add rice.

But that's actual pudding and that's actually good! I'm talking about rice in a bowl with a pool of condensed milk, sometimes with butter (forgot that), poured in it like milk in cereal. Like someone tried to make arroz con dulce but forgot a major step. This somehow became a family breakfast.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    So, you take lime jello.
    You with me so far?
    THEN

THEN
    you add pineapple to it
    BUT THEN
    you add rice.

But that's actual pudding and that's actually good! I'm talking about rice in a bowl with a pool of condensed milk, sometimes with butter (forgot that), poured in it like milk in cereal. Like someone tried to make arroz con dulce but forgot a major step. This somehow became a family breakfast.

Yep. I LOVE the real thing - my Mexican Mother in Law makes it sometimes. But a lot of Americans try to fake it, and it's just weirdly sweet rice mush.
  • elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Anything made by Little Debbie. With so much amazing pastry in the world, how does this crap even stay on the market?

I don't like them either