Anyone taking a break from watching calories this Christmas??

124»

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Some folk sound scared to stop for even a day, what a life

It’s their life, what does it matter? I am breaking, but I did not have a good thanksgiving. One day off turned into 7. If I had a substantial amount to lose or had only recently started, I might not break based on how I handled that. And that’s okay, everyone’s different.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It’s their life, what does it matter? I am breaking, but I did not have a good thanksgiving. One day off turned into 7. If I had a substantial amount to lose or had only recently started, I might not break based on how I handled that. And that’s okay, everyone’s different.

Yeah, if someone decides that consistency works better for them and they want to stay on plan for Christmas Day (or any other holiday or event), that's fine. Successful weight loss/maintaining is all about figuring out what works for you.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member

Yeah, if someone decides that consistency works better for them and they want to stay on plan for Christmas Day (or any other holiday or event), that's fine. Successful weight loss/maintaining is all about figuring out what works for you.

the bloke is a complete *kittenhead all he does is pop up on threads and throw snide criticism

put on ignore best bet
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    I planned a 2 week maintenance break for Dec 15-29th. I will be logging (estimates) of everything.

I've been on a 750-1000 deficit since the end of July and lost nearly 40 pounds, so I figure 2 weeks around Christmas for a refeed allows me to enjoy all the treats and stick to a plan. I'm hoping having a planned break will keep me from just stopping logging and gaining everything back like every other time I've lost on MFP.
  • paulmasson40
    paulmasson40 Posts: 8 Member
    HELL NO!!! MAN UP...XMAS IS BUT ONE DAY....
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

A day in which 'normal people' indulge a little. Part of losing, and maintaining, weight is learning how to cope with these days without allowing them to derail you and send you spiralling back in to old habits.

Let's say I go 1000 cals over TDEE on Christmas day. In fat gain terms, ignoring higher TEF from all the digesting (and really, that 1000 is going to be wine, so not a lot of digestion involved), that's about 0.3lbs. We're really worrying about that?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Moderation and tracking carbs are necessary for me because of health reasons - my blood glucose doesn't care that it's a holiday! However, I have myself set to maintenance calories until after New Years. Thanks to doing a lot of running, I'm still in a deficit and losing slowly, but if I feel like a few more calories it's not a problem.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Okay, putting this in as a kind of accountability post: I was dithering about it all, but think I'll take a leaf out of some of your play books, and eat at maintenance on the 25th, 26th and 31st. But still log as I have a little competition going with some of my MFP friends (unknown by them lol!) that I'll overtake them on the logging consistency. I want to try and keep exercising during though, so will try still to have a little deficit... maybe...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2017
    Grocery store desserts are a sad waste of calories.

But no, I still log, but yes I often go over, and yes I typically gain weight. Maintenance calories? I wish.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this is so.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member

Well, you could turn this around to: "what a life" is being overweight and addicted to eating that one can't fathom a holiday without overeating.

Also just because Christmas means "indulge" to some does not mean that is what it is for everyone. Some people might actually have religious reasons for celebrating it...

But the bottom line is everyone has to do what is right for them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

For some it’s one day. Others will have several celebrations between now and early January. I’ve been at this since 2014 and every December I’ve taken a diet break. Not only because of the higher calories likely involved, but also to give my body and mind a break from dieting. I’ve never been one who went massively overboard with holiday food anyway...I was a boredom/stress eater who never learned about proper nutrition.
  • Nony_Mouse
    lucerorojo wrote: »

Well, you could turn this around to: "what a life" is being overweight and addicted to eating that one can't fathom a holiday without overeating.

Also just because Christmas means "indulge" to some does not mean that is what it is for everyone. Some people might actually have religious reasons for celebrating it...

And traditionally, religious holidays are feast days...
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Or not... that is "cultural" not necessarily religious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

For some it’s one day. Others will have several celebrations between now and early January. I’ve been at this since 2014 and every December I’ve taken a diet break. Not only because of the higher calories likely involved, but also to give my body and mind a break from dieting. I’ve never been one who went massively overboard with holiday food anyway...I was a boredom/stress eater who never learned about proper nutrition.

Agree. Christmas may be but one day, but the Christmas season is weeks long for some (me included). Parties and gatherings and celebrations galore. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. ::drinker::
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I had 6 holiday party/meals on calendar from Thanksgiving through Christmas and then one more for my birthday the beginning of January. For those meals I’m letting myself have what I want and loosely logging but the rest of the days I’m staying on plan.

I’m also redoing Insanity Max30 while still hitting my gym workouts since I have some extra time free.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this is so.

Agreed
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Or not... that is "cultural" not necessarily religious.

Possibly depends on religion and or denomination. In Catholicism, religious days are literally known as feast days. Though, if you actually feasted on every saint's day, that's an awful lot of feasting!!

Anyway, back to the "do I or don't I?" of not being overly worried about calories on Christmas day...
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    my catholic family’s Christmas cultural tradition seems to be stressing me tf out for roughly 10 hours so I eat very little and then I go home and eat fudge in bed
  • Nony_Mouse
    my catholic family’s Christmas cultural tradition seems to be stressing me tf out for roughly 10 hours so I eat very little and then I go home and eat fudge in bed

Same, which is why I haven't been home for Christmas since I moved away 12 years ago ;)