When to purge older larger size clothes??

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    learn to sew and take them in or ask your Mum/sister/someone you know who sews to do you a favour :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i get rid of them as they get too big.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just a suggestion for those ladies who have larger size office/business/interview clothes they no longer fit: Dress For Success is all over the world and can help disadvantaged women prepare for new careers and 'upgrade' their lives. https://dressforsuccess.org/
    I did this with my size 14's when I worked in banking.

Awesome idea...if I were doing this I'd go straight to Dress for Success though. In my naivete around age 30, I tried to do this by donating my nicer items (after weight GAIN back then) to a local women's shelter but I was berated by staff telling me "these women need underwear and sweats, NOT business suits". They had me in tears and it was terrible.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2018
    When I finally decided to drop the weight nearly nine years ago I was wearing a very tight 20 and realized I was headed into a 22. (In all honestly probably should have been wearing the 22). I started getting rid of the bigger stuff as soon as I was out of it. I have two rules for myself: never wear leggings again (only exception is gym pants but ONLY at the gym) and never keep above a size 10. About four years in I put on 20lbs. I rotated two pairs of jeans and two pairs of capris in size 12 until I got my crap together and dropped the 20+16 more. I got rid of them immediately. As I mentioned in the “pant size” thread awhile back the smaller I am the quicker my size fluctuates so I keep a couple size 10s and a couple size 6s for that 4-5lb up or down. If I ever find myself above that again I’ll have to suck it up and shell out the cash until it’s gone again and I’ll get rid of them ASAP when it is.
  • caroljoywolf
    caroljoywolf Posts: 4 Member
    I've got this issue too...the stuff I love that is now too big actually gets tailored...I finally broke down and bought some clothing fusion tape and altered my clothes. I have an old pair of size 20 jeans that I tailored down to a size 14...alas, some stuff cannot be altered and use the item I'm was going to get rid of in creative ways...I've got lots of cloth covered journal covers, bandanas (it's hot here in the summer) and a couple of warm outfits for my chihuahuas.
  • Pltcamp
    Pltcamp Posts: 1 Member
    Once I am down 2 sizes I have the expensive ones altered and I give away the rest.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I'm slowly replacing items a few at a time, at Goodwill. I bring a small bag to donate, then shop. Since I'm "renting" the clothes as I lose weight, it makes sense not to spend a lot. Down one pants size already
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just a suggestion for those ladies who have larger size office/business/interview clothes they no longer fit: Dress For Success is all over the world and can help disadvantaged women prepare for new careers and 'upgrade' their lives. https://dressforsuccess.org/
    I did this with my size 14's when I worked in banking.

Awesome idea...if I were doing this I'd go straight to Dress for Success though. In my naivete around age 30, I tried to do this by donating my nicer items (after weight GAIN back then) to a local women's shelter but I was berated by staff telling me "these women need underwear and sweats, NOT business suits". They had me in tears and it was terrible.

DfS accepts referrals from legitimate not-for-profit and government agencies that work with women trying to enter/re-enter the workforce. And they understand the importance of being gracious about all donations, even those that end up in the dumpster because they're too dirty/torn/inappropriate (!) for working women. In my area, most women don't work corporate jobs so the DfS also accepts/provides medical uniforms, khakis, polos, etc.
  • mudknuckles
    mudknuckles Posts: 1,417 Member
    Burn those bridges! I am not planning on being big again. Hell I might go buy smaller clothes I want to wear in the future as a goal.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    After almost 3 years of maintenance, I have no large size clothing left. EXCEPT I keep one part of size 16 pants (I am now a Petite 6 or 8) so that I can put them on rarely to remind me that if I'm not vigilant, that's where I can return. They are in a bag at the bottom of my closet and I just leave them there as a reminder.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    oops. pair of size 16, not part! sorry!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    I keep some pants in case I get pregnant again. Granted It’s only a difference of like 25 lbs between now and my post giving birth weight
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    I’ve only lost two sizes, but I’m getting ready to donate because I don’t have the space to keep clothing I’m not wearing. I do feel like it’s wasteful to get rid of them, but otoh I hated the way I looked in them anyway. Hopefully it will keep me motivated to maintain my current weight.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I think I have just doen my last real purge - All the clothes I have now are wearable and as a result no more than 18 months old (been in maintenance 6 months). Feels good to get rid of the last bits
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I have gotten rid of my larger clothes previously when I lost weight but I never kept it off. This time I have lost 92 pounds so far, 8 to go. I have kept it off longer than ever and have ALL my clothes from size 10-2W in bins. I'm wearing an 8 comfortably right now. This is the first time I've kept it off for an extended period of time and kept my clothes so I'm being a little superstitious about it and refuse to get rid of them. Probably sounds silly and it takes up a ton of space that I could really use. I've been trying to convince myself to get rid of everything above size twelve for a couple months. At least above the 14's but I can't seem to do it... lol
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    As soon as they no longer fit!
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Ok.. so my 2 cents for whatever it is worth. I have been up down and all around my whole life as far as the scale is concerned. I never got rid of my heavy clothes ... why? I don't know.... This last time at losing weight, as the pounds came off and the sizes decreased, I got rid of the clothes... FOR GOOD! Why have something you can grow back into. I think it reset my mind to what my new reality would be. :) Again, just my 2 cents!