Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2019
    Ugh. Tired. Stressed. And tired.

Not enough days to study for the next round of exams and I'm near kaputt. Aww but those little motor proteins keep on truckin', guess I'll see how much coffee it takes to get going.

Leg progress is "same". Oh I ache. Even keeps me up. I did get the crutches and wow, walking is so easy with them. Wonder why I chose difficult over freedom? Ya I make it look like I don't even need those crutches.

And I've got this restless spell. I'm tired but can't sleep and am hot. Oh hello menopause? Nah, seems AF is knocking. How dumb body? You can not count.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @elise4270 - did you ever hear back from your doctor on swimming? Maybe that would relieve some of the achiness? The I started menopause my cycle got all messed up - sometimes early, sometimes late, sometimes not at all, but the symptoms would still show up to make me miserable for what seemed like forever. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Elise4270
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - did you ever hear back from your doctor on swimming? Maybe that would relieve some of the achiness? The I started menopause my cycle got all messed up - sometimes early, sometimes late, sometimes not at all, but the symptoms would still show up to make me miserable for what seemed like forever. Hope you feel better soon!

I never heard back. So I just decide to study and hang on until I see him again. I’ll ask about doing some strengthening and self rehab, I’m getting a little restless. He warned that I would lose rom in my knee. I wonder if I can work through that or if it’s always going to be that way. I have loads of questions for him, and i need to start a list.

(Peri) Menopause is horrible. I guess it better than being male 🤭😧😀😀. Although they can run faster, farther, eat more and do math... oh a lift heavy things. Eric can open a jar even if I ask him when he’s in the shower. Haha!
  • shanaber
    Well I don't know... I can do math (better than DH even though he is pretty good too) and I can lift heavier things now. He can though open jars for me.

Have to make that list or you will forget something. When I hurt my foot I started a list of questions on my phone and added to it whenever I thought of something.
  • Elise4270
    shanaber wrote: »
    Well I don't know... I can do math (better than DH even though he is pretty good too) and I can lift heavier things now. He can though open jars for me.

Have to make that list or you will forget something. When I hurt my foot I started a list of questions on my phone and added to it whenever I thought of something.

Hehe! Your super woman!
  • shanaber
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Survived Boston as a spectator, didn't gain weight. Spent more time out of the boot than authorized on Monday, due to rain. Didn't want to have a wet boot liner for the trip home. The foot isn't all better, but it's better now than when I left. I'll take the progress.

Still not time to run, but probably time to do some gentle intentional walking, instead of just walking the minimum needed for daily activities of life.

@mobycarp - how is the recovery going? Are you getting in some of the intentional walking yet?

I am still having some occasional aching in my foot especially when I do too much. For example Monday when I ran just under 10 miles and then went to agility class with the pup and ran on the lumpy grass with him. Foot seems to recover well from it but just has to let me know it isn't happy. I am hoping short term that it will be ok for the HM and long term that this isn't going to be an ongoing thing...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Set myself back mowing the lawn a week ago. Thought I didn't need to wear the boot for that. I was wrong.

The weekend was scary, because I had regressed. Fewer steps, more time in a boot. Almost better by Monday, mowed the lawn again, this time wearing the boot. Spent most of yesterday and today out of the boot, but not doing anything tough.

Right now, I'm in the long slog of getting better, but not as fast as I'd liker or as the first blush of able to walk at Boston made me think I was. I'm getting a little bit of intentional walking, but it is slow. On the bright side, I've been able to make the weight trend sideways in spite of the reduced activity.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    So, apparently 10-15miles per week needs to be my bellwether. I should have resumed the prehab/pt exercises when I was running regularly, for real, again. I didn’t start until I had hit a couple 10-15 miles per week in a row and the wonky ankle started getting a bit sore. I resumed said activities in Earnest this week, about a month into 10-15 mile weeks.... today I woke up with a slightly swollen ankle, and some bruising on my foot... the latter actually has me more concerned than the swelling and soreness, because, let’s be honest, that is essentially “normal” if I am running. Trying to figure out what I may have done to result in bruising.

I will resume wearing of the ankle brace, and I have already talked to the local pt office that has been letting me use their treadmill. I have an appointment next Friday. Ugh...

On the bright side, I didn’t wait months of half marathon distances this time. I’m getting smarter.
  • Elise4270
    @hanlonsk That is a curious injury. We had one runner that has an extra bone in her foot that needed removed because it caused chronic pain. The continued swelling and appearance of a bruise, to me, says have an expert look at it. Hope it resolves soon
  • MobyCarp
    Went all day yesterday without the boot, and tried overnight. Got up about 4 AM to put the boot on, left it on for this morning's pull-ups, push-ups, and kettlebell swings.

Baby steps, so to speak: I've been walking around my irregular-shaped block, about 0.83 mile. When healthy, it takes me about 1600 steps and about 12 minutes. The last couple days, it took close to 2100 steps and took over 20 minutes. Today, it was down to just under 2000 steps. I *thought* the gait felt less screwed up!

Still quite a ways from being able to run.
  • MobyCarp
    Mostly out of the boot now. Still need it to support/protect the foot in the morning when I do push-ups. But when I'm done with the push-ups, I can take it off and wear Oofos around the house till I shower and put real shoes on. And the Oofos are stable enough that I can do kettlebell snatches again. Still no calf raises, and no running before the doctor clears me, but I see some progress.
  • Elise4270
    @MobyCarp regarding Oofos. We found some at the expo Saturday. They look most comfortable. Do you feel they are worth it? Dh is having foot pain only in his trainers. I don’t think it’s PF. I think it’s a bit of extensor tendinitis, it’s the bottom of his feet where metatarsals meet tarsals. Maybe it the beginning of pf?
  • MobyCarp
    I picked up Oofos clogs at the local Fleet Feet several years ago, and have a second pair that I got at a FF closeout sale for when this pair wears out. What sold me the first time is for my large feet they only came in clogs; I don't do well with the flip-flop style that has a post between my big toe and the next toe.

Oofos are really kind of meh when I'm healthy, but they're wonderful when my feet need support after injury or for a couple days after running a marathon. I think it was worth the $40 or so I paid several years ago, and $20 at the close out sale was a no-brainer.
  • Elise4270
    7 weeks 5 days post femoral derotational osteotomy.

Daily pain is mild (2-4). My back and non-surgery leg are tired and sore, piriformis is getting grumpy again (stretch stretch stretch). If the left needs derotated to decompress that nerved more, I’d like to do it, but I’m hearing work has a problem with my medical needs. Not sure how that’ll play out. Er, i suspect I know how that plays out. Maybe I can keep my disability insurance. The hip pain in front on the surgery side is still curious and unlike the the screw pain at the knee, still feels like it’s labrum. Suppose I’ll find that out at the next visit. I have four more class exams then I’ll focus on some swimming and maybe some upper body strength and whatever else I can do (anything except the right leg). I really should make a point to get to the pool tomorrow, as long as my guts don’t get stupid on me again, I’ll make a plan.

I can put all my weight on the right now for about a second. Today it feels like my quads are trying to cooperate, before they just were on vacation. The doc reminded me that I’m not far enough out to expect biking, walking, weights and such. It’s gone by fast, but seems like an eternity. I feel like I am walking normally (no crutches around the house-such a hassle). So I walk in front of a mirror and “oh, that’s still... uh needs improvement”, and I remind myself that I’m allowing a poor gait to be normal. *sigh*. The right psoas does seem to be a little less grumpy, finally.

I think swimming will do me a world of good. And a massage. And a pizza. Or a steak. Or apple challah.
  • shanaber
    @elise4270 - I have had OOFOS flipflop sandals for years. I got that pair at a race expo with a discount and mostly used them after a long run or race when my feet were tired. Like @mobycarp I also used them when I was finally out of the boot but not quite ready to walk-on the hardwood floors. I bought a second pair of the sandals (slip on, no toe post) as they were easier to get on and didn't put any pressure on my 2nd metatarsal. I got the 2nd pair pretty cheap on Active Gearup. I don't think they were quite 50% off but close. I would definitely have DH look around for the lowest price before buying - don't need to spend $40 for them.

I am glad you will be getting into the pool! I think it could really help everything feel good, maybe. Won't that poor gait correct itself once you are far enough along healing to be putting more weight on your leg and walking more normally? I mean I am sure it will take time to get those muscled all working and strong again but I wouldn't think your body would maintain that poor gait if it didn't have to??
  • Elise4270
    Yes, I’d hope my gait would line out as everything got stronger. I’ve just been so injury prone that I think I’d just be inviting more cranky injury. I knew a guy that shattered his femur in a motorcycle accident and he walked about like I do now, he never got past where I am. His was shattered, mine simply and neatly cut. So, I want to be careful that I recover the best I can. But yes, I think you are right, as I get stronger those sleepy muscles will take over as they should. I’m tickled today, being able to engage those quads some!

Thanks for the oofos information. We didn’t ask how much they were at the expo, but a google search is 120-150$. Eek. Dh doesn’t seem all that interested in them currently. I think he’s going to treat it as a stress reaction and lay off a bit. I had him do the hop test and he hopped like 20 times before saying “maybe it hurts” haha! My bet is tendinitis.
  • shanaber
    Which ones was he looking at? I don't think the plain generic sandals (flipflop or slide type) are more than $50 retail from OOFOS... Maybe the shoes or clogs are more?
  • MobyCarp
    I bought the first pair at Fleet Feet, where full price merchandise is always overpriced. I think it was a new concept then, and commanded a premium price. They really ought to be a lot cheaper now.
  • Elise4270
    I can stand on one (surgery) leg for a good while, like 30-40 seconds. I cannot however, put my pants on without sitting down for that leg. It’s not even hard to do. Wow!
  • MobyCarp
    The last time I ran was 6 weeks ago today. This morning my foot was able to support the plank position for push-ups without the boot. Still not ready to run, but I've added back the monster walk, the Swiss ball bridges, and the Bosu ball balance exercises. Weighted calf raises are still too risky.