Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - YAY! So glad you are seeing progress!!
    @MobyCarp - interesting that you can do planks already. That was something that hurt/irritated my foot even after I was able to start running again. I guess it depends on where the injury is on your foot. I am able to do them now with no problem and have also been able to add back in my toes pose stretches which honestly I was avoiding because I was afraid they would hurt my foot.

My foot does still get irritated with me at times and needs to be iced. We did a lot of running last night on very lumpy, uneven grass at agility class and my foot was complaining when I got home. It feels fine again this morning but I think my current running schedule of every other day helps and gives it time to recover.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Podiatrist visit today. The bone is perfectly aligned, and the stress fracture is now protected by the exocallus. He was happy with how I've been incrementally adding various exercises, and prognosis is for a full recovery if I keep doing that. So I asked him how long before I was running. Estimate, about a month. Sigh. Don't run until after I can tolerate calf raises. It makes a lot of sense, but kind of popped my optimistic bubble about this visit.

It might not take a full month, but it's going to take longer than I had hoped. More patience will be required.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @mobycarp - happy that it is healing well! Just think that taking this bit of extra time will help make sure that it doesn't cause you more problems!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Added back the one-leg calf raises this week. A set of 10 quick ones on Monday, 3 sets of 10 quick on Tuesday, 3 sets of 10 at normal tempo yesterday, and 3 sets of 10 at normal tempo today felt so good that I added a 5 lb. weight for the 3rd set.

I think I'm really close to being able to do walk/run intervals. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I took the advice of surgeon#2 and bought some trek poles to go walking. It's hot. But I think lll still try to get out for a walk today. Crutch walking is tedious, I'm hoping this will be kind to my knee, which only hurts (hopefully) because my quad is weak.

Least I'll get some sun and fresh air.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I find it fascinating (and frustrating) how everything is interconnected. With the recovery from my HM and my sore quads, my knees started hurting (right side more than left, sorer quad sorer knee). This caused me to walk differently and I am sure the little running I did as well at agility class, which resulted in my left hip/glute becoming extremely tight and sore. Quads are finally feeling better and magically everything else is as well...
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Intervals of run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes yesterday. Today I did run 1 mile, walk 1 minute. Quads are feeling training-sore. I think in about a week, I'll feel more like I'm training than like I'm rehabbing.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I thought perhaps today I'd throw caution to the wind and go walk more or even try to gimpy run a bit.

So I googled "running with a torn hip labrum". Not sure why, but immediately the images reminded me of Lawton's quarter marathon last October when I couldn't walk back to the hotel and I was so miserable that race. *Sigh*.

Big goal for today: maybe (stationary) bike (no resistance) 10-15 minutes.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - has the medrol pack helped at all? Also I thought from your other posts that they, or at least one of the docs wanted you to be walking more. Did they give yo a time frame for feeling like it could happen again (walking, running mostly w/o pain)?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I haven't started medrol pack. I had live immunizations last week and need to wait til Monday.
    Doc #2, did the sx, crutch walking is a go. It's just tedious and I'm not sure I wanna be out alone gimpy. I have a tm and thought about some slow walking maybe with crutches or supporting my weight somehow with the arms of the tm.
    Doc #1 thought I'd be back to interval training "soon". It seems the more I do the more it hurts. September (or later) would likey be about when the labrum can be repaired. I may phone for the steroid shout in ~6 weeks if the medrol pack doesn't help. The knee isn't happy either still.

Class starts Tuesday, so maybe I'll get distracted from the gimpy status.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I saw the pt today. I am doing well. She said she wished everyone did as well as me.... Aw shucks.. I do my pt.. mostly. I think I am just about ready for that egg trot. I see both surgeons next week... Hopefully he'll be ready, er I'll be ready to tackle that labrum. I think it'll be a cake walk compared to the osteotomy.

I feel like I could walk today and considered getting out, but it's 100F out and I've been captured.
    cexh7169tzs3.jpg

• shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I am pretty sure he (Beary) knows exactly what you need!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    No posts for nearly a month? A good sign I hope. I have no injuries to report, just checking in on y'all!
  • shanaber
    Options
    I think you missed @RunsOnEspresso's broken leg but she is back running now - yay!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I think you missed @RunsOnEspresso's broken leg but she is back running now - yay!

Yes, I did see that on the MFPMRC FB Page. Hiking is dangerous!

• shanaber
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Yes, I did see that on the MFPMRC FB Page. Hiking is dangerous!
    It definitely is! That is why I just keep to running 😂
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Had runs planned and now stuck at home. So frustrating
  • shanaber
    Options
    @mbaker566 other than frustrated how are you feeling? And how is Speed Demon?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 other than frustrated how are you feeling? And how is Speed Demon?

She seems ok. She limped for a day. Just watching for signs of infection. Been applying pet neosporin

I decided to clean and reopened a couple of wounds. That'll teach me to clean😋
  • shanaber
    Options
    @mbaker566 - have you had a tetanus shot? I kind of assumed you were required to have one with your work with the fosters. I thought it hurt almost as much as the bite. I hadn't had one in years though, since I worked at the zoo in college, so it was needed.

How is the other foster girl doing? I think you said they are going to check her for aggression issues?