2018 Non Scale Commitments (New Years Resolutions)

13»

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    In 2018, I’m going to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine. I would encourage everyone to do the same. Skin cancer is ugly, painful and mostly avoidable.

A great supplement to this is to get your skin checked out by a medical professional if you have concerns about specific moles. My family has a history of skin cancer and I finally did it this year. The doctor charted my moles so we could track them going forward, I got one mole removed (it turned out to be benign), and the whole process gave me peace of mind!

Yes.. it's probably a good idea. People always ask me about this mole on my ear etc.. and honestly I didn't even know it was there and haven't really paid much mind.

Yeah, the one I got removed was on my back and I knew it was there, but it always freaked me out because I couldn't see it well and I was worried I would miss a danger sign.

My non-scale commitment for New Years is to really, truly, and honestly aim for at least seven hours of sleep per night. There are occasions due to my job where it really isn't possible, but except for that, I want to make it happen. Not just the "uh, I'm done with my book and there's nothing on TV so I'm going to get seven hours of sleep tonight" method I've been using in 2017.

I may have to invest in a sleep aid.. my eating disorder pills tend to keep me up I think since they are a stimulant. I did not take one yesterday tho.. and even tho I could of just closed my eyes and fell asleep in minutes.. I just wouldn't let myself.. I gotta remember I'm not gonna miss something by going to sleep.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    edited December 2017
    My non-weight, non-health related goals for 2018...

1) Learn to play the violin I received for Christmas. Learning to play the violin has been on my bucket list for years, and hubby did good this year!

2) Go to the skate park at least once a month. I learned the basics of how to ramp skate on quad skates over the past month, and it's something that I really want to improve at. I can skate on flat surfaces no problem (I'm a derby skater) but adding in the 3rd dimension is a challenge, but I am loving it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    In 2018, I’m going to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine. I would encourage everyone to do the same. Skin cancer is ugly, painful and mostly avoidable.

A great supplement to this is to get your skin checked out by a medical professional if you have concerns about specific moles. My family has a history of skin cancer and I finally did it this year. The doctor charted my moles so we could track them going forward, I got one mole removed (it turned out to be benign), and the whole process gave me peace of mind!

Yes.. it's probably a good idea. People always ask me about this mole on my ear etc.. and honestly I didn't even know it was there and haven't really paid much mind.

Yeah, the one I got removed was on my back and I knew it was there, but it always freaked me out because I couldn't see it well and I was worried I would miss a danger sign.

My non-scale commitment for New Years is to really, truly, and honestly aim for at least seven hours of sleep per night. There are occasions due to my job where it really isn't possible, but except for that, I want to make it happen. Not just the "uh, I'm done with my book and there's nothing on TV so I'm going to get seven hours of sleep tonight" method I've been using in 2017.

I may have to invest in a sleep aid.. my eating disorder pills tend to keep me up I think since they are a stimulant. I did not take one yesterday tho.. and even tho I could of just closed my eyes and fell asleep in minutes.. I just wouldn't let myself.. I gotta remember I'm not gonna miss something by going to sleep.

Are you taking your eating disorder meds early enough in your day so they won't interfere with your sleep?

1 mg of sublingual melatonin is great for helping me fall asleep fast. I need more help in order to stay asleep.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Well.. sorta? Like.. my sleep schedule is all over the place right now but technically if I was to realign myself and take it when I get up in the morning I would still be up all night.

Melatonin gives me nightmares so I will probably just pick up an antihistamine instead
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Goals for 2018
    1. Begin masters program.
    2. Learn to sew enough to alter clothes.
    3. Drop 3-4 lb/month.
    4. Finish the FCC JavaScript course.
    5. Finish the Coursera C++ course.
    6. Repair the bikes.
    7. Repair the kitchen ceiling.
    8. Repair the bathroom floor.
    9. Do a split and an un-assisted pull-up.
    10. Visit with parents at least twice monthly.
    11. Submit a proposal to present at the 2019 state convention.
    12. Begin practicing piano again.
    13. Plant a vegetable garden.
    14. Do push-ups nose-to-floor.
    15. Run 3 miles in <30 min.
    16. Volunteer at library 50+ hours.
    17. Dance classes / lessons. Samba, foxtrot, waltz, merengue.
    18. Post to blog once a week each for language practice and career.
    19. Replace DH’s wedding ring.
    20. Audition for the role of Mark Antony in the summer production of Julius Caesar.

I kind of have a habit of overextending myself, but I think with some careful planning, all of this should be manageable. The next step is probably to start breaking these down into timelines and daily tasks.