Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

1656667686971»

Replies

  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @JuliaAL1969 and everybody else -- I agree, I could not have done it without this thread. I never felt alone. And now, it's the night of Jan. 31 and I can proudly say that the entire month was dry. I am so amazed that I've come this far. Maybe it was that epic New Year's Day hangover that inspired me to get headed in the right direction! See you guys over on the Feb. thread and really looking to keeping this going. I plan to never go back to daily wine drinking, with the help of all of you, of course. Planning on another dry day tomorrow, and then a glass or two with my celebratory dinner out Fri. night. I'm very curious to see how I'll react.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,818 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @JuliaAL1969 and everybody else -- I agree, I could not have done it without this thread. I never felt alone. And now, it's the night of Jan. 31 and I can proudly say that the entire month was dry. I am so amazed that I've come this far. Maybe it was that epic New Year's Day hangover that inspired me to get headed in the right direction! See you guys over on the Feb. thread and really looking to keeping this going. I plan to never go back to daily wine drinking, with the help of all of you, of course. Planning on another dry day tomorrow, and then a glass or two with my celebratory dinner out Fri. night. I'm very curious to see how I'll react.

    Bravo Kitty!! Yes, see how you'll react on Friday. Annie Grace or another author says that you will feel it right away and maybe one or two drinks will be enough for the buzz. Let us know:)
    I giggled when you said epic hangover. My last epic hangover was Dec. 1, 2017. That is burned in my brain:) LOL
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Well done everyone!!! Youve all have done an awesome job o:)o:)B)B)<3<3

    I completed 23 days of Jan with 2 slips :/

    Im thinking to make mini goals for myself of 23 days withoutany slips ... ;):p than i only have 6 more days to hang on to it til the end of the mth.

    23 days is awesome!! What an accomplishment indeed:)

    @justlog 25 days is nearly four weeks. I bet your body and mind feel great! I'm sure you will make February just fine!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Personal victory for last night!

    I was having one of those days...all day long. My husband was behind schedule, frustrated, and taking it out on me. I got an email from two of my son's (16) teachers telling me once again, "he's brilliant, but not pushing himself." No homework and incomplete classwork will result in two C's on his forth coming report card. My daughter (13) kept texting me all day because she was bored...testing day, she was done so they could have their phones. When she got home she explained that she thought she was brightening my day, but I was busy (work from home), so really it was just adding fuel to the fire.

    By the time my husband left to make deliveries, I was ready to fix a rum and Coke. I managed to talk myself into a hot cocoa, and that worked well. Too well. I got sidetracked looking at Facebook while I drank it, and ended up starting dinner an hour late...with two hungry teens in the house. My plan was for homemade chicken and dumplings, but of course, I'd forgotten to thaw the chicken. No worries, my husband gave me a pressure cooker for Christmas, I got this! I got the veggies all cleaned and chopped, the spices all measured out and added, tossed in the chicken, set the timer, then started cleaning up. Not until about 10 minutes later did it occur to me that the pot hadn't started yet. I figured in the rush I hadn't sealed the lid correctly, so I opened it up, checked everything (seemed fine), and tried again. Waited about 5 more minuets, it still didn't sound right. Opened it up, checked it again, still looked alright, so headed to the internet to see what I could possibly be doing wrong. I hadn't realized, the meat being frozen, it would take longer to build pressure. So if I hadn't kept messing with, it would probably have been about done at that point. I left it alone, the pressure finally started to build, so I got on to the dumplings. I was rushing now, didn't read the directions carefully enough, and added the milk before I got the butter cut into the flour. My hands were covered in sticky dough, and I had to call my daughter down to keep sprinkling flour over the mess until I could get it scraped off of me. Once we got those leveled out, the soup part was done...my son was so hungry he actually emerged from his room unbidden...the dumplings only took about 5 minutes to cook, and I had made a healthy dinner that we all seemed to enjoy.

    I was thinking hard about the rum and Coke again by the time we all got our chores done, but I was able to distract myself with the Downton Abbey tea the kids gave me for Christmas and a few cookies from my secret stash. After that I figured I'd call it an early night and get ready for bed. As soon as I was done, hubby gets home...with groceries. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he went shopping, but putting away groceries at 9pm was not what I had planned for the rest of the night. We get that done, but I didn't want to go to bed anymore. I wanted the rum and Coke that had been looming the back of my mind all evening. I gave in. I was heading to the kitchen to fix it when it hit me that I knew one would easily turn to two, which would probably turn to three before it was all said and done, so, begrudgingly, I fixed another cup of tea. After that, I really did head to bed...SOBER. And woke this morning...with NO HANGOVER!

    I'm sure this just seems like the ramblings of any wife and mother to some, but maybe someone else can relate and take something from it. Hopefully it will help if ever another of you finds yourself in a similar situation...or just wants to know that yes, we all have the same mundane struggles.

    I enjoyed reading this!! You almost got me when you said you went to make the rum and coke LOL!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    I’m a heavy drinker. It has been my biggest obstacle in losing weight. I don’t know that I can go alcohol free but I’m definitely able to reduce. I’m going to set a goal for the rest of this month of 7 drinks a week which is the lie I tell my doctor every time they ask if I drink alcohol. That seems like a good place to start.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Look for our August thread. Same name except August.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    D_squareG wrote: »
    I’m a heavy drinker. It has been my biggest obstacle in losing weight. I don’t know that I can go alcohol free but I’m definitely able to reduce. I’m going to set a goal for the rest of this month of 7 drinks a week which is the lie I tell my doctor every time they ask if I drink alcohol. That seems like a good place to start.

    Our August thread is under challenges. As JenT304 said, same name different month. See you there!
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    Traveled here to the past to say I have come a long way since January 2018
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,818 Member
    It was nice to see this thread have a comment; i may go back to day 1 and read it for inspiration. January seems so long ago and many of us have come a long way, that’s for sure!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Yeah! The January thread started a great journey for me. Tomorrow is Day 40 happily AF, and I never would have gotten here without the trials and errors and the contributions of everyone who checked in to these Less Alcohol discussions.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,818 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    Yeah! The January thread started a great journey for me. Tomorrow is Day 40 happily AF, and I never would have gotten here without the trials and errors and the contributions of everyone who checked in to these Less Alcohol discussions.

    Happy Day 40 !
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Thanks, friend. Actually today was Day 44, partially thanks to you talking me down!