Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Searching My Own Recipes

suzievvsuzievv Posts: 357Member Member Posts: 357Member Member
There seems to be no way for me to search my own recipes. I need to be able to search them. I have 7 pages of recipes, and none of them are available to the database. Even when I search "My Foods" with the exact title of my recipe, it will say, "No results found." I guess I will have to edit each recipe to make it available to the database and rename them all with highly detailed titles so that I can at least search for them in the database. A far better solution would be a search tool for each member's personal recipe box.

Replies

• suzievvsuzievv Posts: 357Member Member Posts: 357Member Member
    I just noticed that the recipe search tool for the app is really great, so this suggestion is for the desktop version of MFP.
  • ugofatcatugofatcat Posts: 387Member Member Posts: 387Member Member
    Yes second this! I came here looking to see if anyone else had this suggestion. Right now I use "ctrl+f" to search for keywords to find my recipes, but going through 12 pages of recipes, this becomes very tedious!
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,846Member Member Posts: 28,846Member Member
  • KAuLaitKAuLait Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    PLEASE add recipe search for desktop! I use the desktop as much as the app and not being able to find my recipes from the desktop (where I plan meals and print recipes) is a major pain... actually a big part of what pulled me from MFP a year ago even though I find it superior in general to other food logging sites.
  • pansheepanshee Posts: 23Member Member Posts: 23Member Member
    This is really needed!! I can see this issue has been asked about for more than a year - please make this update. My recipe list is getting long and I often edit one or two ingredients. I can search on the phone app but editing doesn't always work; Editing works well on the desktop but can't find the recipes :(
  • nickyeatrunreadnickyeatrunread Posts: 173Member, Premium Member Posts: 173Member, Premium Member
    I totally agree with this. I've been using MFP for years and have SO many recipes (it's the main reason I've never looked at any other app), but not being able to search them on the desktop feature is really frustrating. The app feature is so easy to use--please please please add this! I'm a premium member and it's funny that something so basic is not part of either plan but all the other metrics are.
  • orlandocommandoorlandocommando Posts: 8Member Member Posts: 8Member Member
    I too agree for the need to search My Recipe Box or at least there should be a way to alphabetize the recipes so I don't have to look through multiple pages! Please MFP, make this happen!
  • ritzvinritzvin Posts: 2,400Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,400Member, Premium Member
    Website search of Recent/favorite/my foods as well would be a welcome addition. I wind up having to pull out the phone to add stuff to my diary so I don't have to wade through the entire database search results.
  • jemacaslanjemacaslan Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I would also benefit tremendously from this feature. Ideally full-search functionality, but at least allow us to change the page size so there aren't as many pages to scroll through, and remove the dinner plate image so that the entries don't consume so much space. As is I can only see six recipes on the screen at a time, and I have a 27" monitor.
  • robbn11robbn11 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Even a sort function to sort them alphabetical would be something. It's ridiculous because there are so many good things about MFP ! But the inability to search through my own recipes is a black mark. Seriously. It's software, you can do anything in software.
  • ktekcktekc Posts: 874Member Member Posts: 874Member Member
    i usually find it on my phone and change someting minor like servings and the when i go to desktop it will be at the top of the list.
  • suzyjmcd2suzyjmcd2 Posts: 184Member Member Posts: 184Member Member
    I do ^^^, too, but it would just be so much easier to be able to search my recipes on the desktop!!

• cheekychkcheekychk Posts: 17Member, Premium Member Posts: 17Member, Premium Member
    PLEASE, MFP, give us search for our recipes. I've been using MFP since 2010 and have 30 pages or so of recipes. I have such a hard time finding previously entered recipes. Your product is great, but this feature is sorely needed.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,846Member Member Posts: 28,846Member Member
    cheekychk wrote: »
    PLEASE, MFP, give us search for our recipes. I've been using MFP since 2010 and have 30 pages or so of recipes. I have such a hard time finding previously entered recipes. Your product is great, but this feature is sorely needed.

You can search if you go to "FOOD" and click "Add food" and then the "Recipe" tab, they can even be alphabetized by clicking the dropdown arrow that says Sort by Default or Name at the far right. - I only have 20 or so recipes and I frequently purge ones I don't use often, so I don't know how many they store in that location - maybe 100 or more like in Recent Foods (?) Not sure.

You can't search from the actual "Add Recipe" page or the "Recipe" tab under FOOD, you have to go to
    FOOD (diary page) > Add food.

I do have all my recipe names stored separately on an Excel sheet so I can search more easily. I even copy/paste the URL so I can just go to it directly on MFP. In Excel (or Word or OneNote) I can put all kinds of tags - such as various ingredients - on the recipe too. Makes it a lot easier.

wcktxyyfyopf.png
    edited November 8
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,594Member Member Posts: 5,594Member Member
    In General I wish MFP would just make the website as functional as the app. It is so much easier to do all things on the app. Sometimes I'd like to be able to log from my computer (like when I'm at work) but it's a much bigger pain.