WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,443 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    sweet potatoes recently I learned about resistant starch so I tried something new - In the morning I cut the sweet potato into strips (like home fries) and boil. Then cool on a rack, then in the fridge. That night I pull out the cooled sweet potatoes and use PAM coconut oil spray and salt and roast them in the oven. I think they are delicious and twice cooking makes them tender inside like restaurant fries and deliciously crispy outside. ( this works for regular potatoes too).

Two interesting things: my DH, Who won’t touch sweet potatoes unless it was Thanksgiving and they were coated in molasses and brown sugar and other sweetnesses, thought they smelled wonderful and asked try one. He likes it so much that he said he thinks it’s his favorite way to have sweet potatoes and he has requested that I make them several times!

Whenever I do a slowcooker meal, I put half a sweet potato in. I've discovered that it breaks down and acts like a thickener. You'd be hard pressed to pick out the sweet potato! So my husband who doesn't like sweet potatoes can't identify them in whatever curry I've made. At some point, I did tell him there was sweet potato in what I made, but because he can't detect it, it's OK. :)

Pills and meds I take lots and lots of daily pills, but no meds. Lots of dietary supplements (and I have tried most everything for hot flashes that I can find recommended). I am very thankful for my good genetic inheritance that I do not have to take any medications such as statins and blood pressure meds.

Another good gene, my mother had and I have, must account for our remarkably low resting pulses. Even when I was completely sedentary and obese my resting heart rate was in the 60’s. After 10 months regular exercise and good diet my Apple Watch reports a resting heart rate on par with athletes - at 44-47 bpm usually. I am happy and quite thankful for this, not full of uncalled for pride - it is luck not my hard work that accounts for it.

Me as well ... lots of vitamins and minerals but no prescriptions.

And also a relatively low resting HR. Last time I checked it was about 54, but that was just taking my pulse after being woken by my very loud radio ... so, my real resting HR is probably lower.

Veg servings what exactly does the advice to get 5 veg servings in a day mean? 5 100 gram portions? Can you use fruit for 1? Do starchy veg like potatoes and sweet potatoes count? What about the serving of cherry tomatoes I eat most days? I have such a hard time getting enough veg in even when I try unless I can count those things. Anyone else struggle to eat veggies?

This might help:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canada-food-guides.html

For those of us over 50, the recommendation is 7 servings of fruit and veg.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/canada-food-guide/food-guide-basics/much-food-you-need-every-day.html

What is a serving?
    Examples of one Food Guide Serving are:

Vegetables and Fruit

125 mL (½ cup) fresh, frozen or canned
    vegetable or fruit or 100% juice
    250 mL (1 cup) leafy raw vegetables or
    salad
    1 piece of fruit

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/canada-food-guide/food-guide-basics/what-food-guide-serving.html

More examples:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/canada-food-guide/choosing-foods/vegetables-fruit/what-food-guide-serving-vegetables-fruit.html

So each day I usually eat the following:

About 350 grams of mixed veggies, frozen then steamed. That's almost 3 servings.
    About 125 grams of raw veggies. 1 serving.
    2 pieces of fruit. 2 servings.

Not quite the 7, but sometimes I throw in some extra. :)

Drinking calories I happily drink smoothies, tomato Juice, a non-fat latte, a glass of red wine, and tonic water or champagne for celebrations. But, honestly, except for tomato Juice, those are show up on my diet rather rarely. I miss my after dinner drinks tho, I’ve pretty much eliminated alcohol on my diet so the one or two after dinner drinks I used to enjoy haven’t been on the diet. Now that I’m heading to maintenance maybe I’ll try to plan ahead for one each weekend. A Gibson Martini, some Coffee flavored tequila, and a black Sambuca - I do miss those drinks. So I guess if it is tasty enough I’m happy to drink the calories. But if it is just liquid sugar seeetness I’ll pass (fruit juices and soda). Oh, except a frosty root beer with smoked bbq on the Fourth of July ( a family tradition I love).

I find that liquid just doesn't make me feel full. I can drink a glass of 100% pure fruit juice (which might qualify as a serving of fruit and veggies) but about 3 minutes later, I'm hungry. Whereas if I eat a big bowl of veggies, I can go an hour or two before I'm hungry again.

Our Sweetheart seems to have acquired a friend. We call his black and white friend Mr. Mustachios. They seem to be sharing the food and water we put out for Sweetheart. Yesterday morning, I heard a plaintive cat wail out my window - it was Mr. Mustachios and he was sitting looking at the food plate. I hurried to dress and put some food out, but then he quieted down. So I looked out and saw Sweetheart come over and the two cats brush tails hello. I think the plaintive cries I heard were a friendly greeting, not a wail for feeding. Lol. I worry about them, but with three cats I can’t take more in, so we are trying to give them an advantage with the food, water and warmth.

:):):)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    ydailey wrote: »
    Machka - Now I have just got to try my hand at cherry jam. I made some a couple of years ago but I couldn't get tart cherries so it wasn't very successful. I've since found out I can order them online.

-Yvonne in TX

Ours are super sweet cherries ... that's all my husband grows in the orchard he manages because that's what the demand is.

I'm not sure I could get tart cherries.

Anyway, the sweet cherries made a really nice tasting jam ... with about half the recommended sugar in the jam making process. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Just a quick note. I'm on the mainland in northern Norway now, in Tromsø. I looked out my window this morning I saw no fewer than SIX white-tailed eagles sitting on the rocky point just below our apartment. :heart:

Gotta love it!
    /Penny, currently 2000 km from the t07190.gif

Nice!

We get wedge-tail eagles around here. :)
  • Machka9
    Friday -- Australia Day!

Today we cycled our January Century ... 100 miles!

We had to wait till the end of January to do our January Century which meant that it has been almost 7 weeks since we've done a century, and my longest ride since then was the 63.7 km last weekend. Meanwhile my husband has been working rather than cycling. So this was a bit of a challenge!

The first challenge was trying to find a relatively flat, unchallenging route. In the Hobart area?? Hahahaha! But what we ended up with was probably one of the flatter options for a ride of that length without too much route duplication ... believe it or not.

The second challenge was that we also wanted to complete a Permanent (ride on the Audax list) for the Petit Year Round Randonneur challenge. We've kept that challenge going for 15 months now. Fortunately, Permanents can be as short as 50 km.

So we decided to ride the flattest 50 km Perm in the area, then immediately upon finishing it we returned the way we came and went quite a bit further out then returned to the start. Essentially it was two out-and-backs, one short and one long.

In one direction, we were able to keep up a pretty good pace with the tailwind ... in the other direction, things slowed a bit. But it kind of balanced out and we actually finished the ride within Audax time!!

The temp hit a high of 28C and the wind spent most of the day at about 22 gusting to 30 km/h with the occasional gust up to 50 km/h.

Distance: 161.83 km (100.5 miles)
    Elevation: 1,702 m (5584 feet)

Yeah ... that's relatively flat for the Hobart area.

Moving Time: 8:35:23
    Elapsed Time: 10:07:06
    Speed: Avg: 18.8 km/h | Max: 54.0 km/h

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Good morning and Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance again! Woo-hoo! I have been stressing just a bit about my childcare license renewal. Not sure why, I have never had a problem with a visit from licensing in all of the years I have been doing this; but it just gets my knickers in a twist.
    Heather-Your Burns Night looks like a success! Have fun at your Singalong! Enjoy yourself on the trip there and back!
    Machka-The cherries look beautiful!
    Penny- Don't you just love to see the big raptor birds?! We have bald eagles and all sorts of hawks around here. Snowy owls are beginning to show up in West Michigan also. Unfortunately, I am sure that is because their normal habitat is being destroyed.
    Wendy-I love your pics from your day trip with your daughter! I love the LOTR trilogy; but my older brother grew up reading them over and over. He even went so far as keeping a diary in dwarvish runes. And he has learned a bit of elvish. I am not sure how he accomplished these things before technology (the internet, Google); but I am sure there were books out about the languages of LOTR for those so "geekily inclined".
    Welcome new ladies! - Jump in when you so desire and please sign your name or what you want to be called after your posts. Remember to bookmark our page and next week, look for Barbie's last post to take us to the month of February!

Sending love, warm thoughts, strengthening vibes to those who need them! <3

kids arriving! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka-The cherries look beautiful!

Those aren't ours ... not sure where Becca(?) found the photo. But ours might look something like that way back in early December before they've ripened up. :)

Machka in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Will go to the deep water class. The plan is to drop my membership at the Y today assuming Gina is there (she usually is on Fridays) and then enroll at the other gym. In a way, I feel like I'm losing my right arm, I've been a member of the Y for so long. But I know that it's the best decision for me. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Power Hour DVD.

We'll be looking into Medicare (yikes!). Vince will be eligible next year. Is Silver Sneakers included in Medicare or do you have to get a special suppliment in order to get it? I don't think our insurance has it (why, I don't know), so I'm wondering if it's covered under Medicare. Anyone know?

I need to go to Aldi and WalMart, not sure when I will be able to. Steve is still here, not sure when he's planning to leave. Need to get things for cooking over the weekend.

Becca - so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I'll be thinking of you guys when the next surgery come about. Boy, you sure do have your hands full! I believe that many times people don't know to ask if you would like help in the kitchen or they volunteer to help cleaning up. I know Denise doesn't. She expects to be served. When she was down for Christmas this year, I did all the cooking and cleaning (well, Vince helped clean off the table). Now when Amanda, Andy, Aiden and Sue were here, they all helped. Well, not so much Andy or Aiden. At least they brought something, tho. Jess did all the cooking that night. Love your pic about the heart.

Jayne - welcome. The only other thing that you need to do to become part of this community is continue to come in and post telling us more and more about yourself. That's IT

M - Vince went to an allergist in FL because he was having problems with his allergies. Seems there's a certain mold that's only around the time when we're usually there. Anyway, he found that he was slightly allergic to CATS. We've only had cats for over 20 years. Seems you CAN build up a resistance to your allergens. Tell me more about how you add a sweet potato to the crock pot. I'd love to get Vince to eat a sweet potato, but I didn't know how since he'd see the different color. I assume you probably peel the potato, does it then break down? Do you have to mash it up some?

Better run to the Y now. Thinking of you all.

Michele in NC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Jayne - welcome!

JanetR - congrats on the 10 lbs! That is wonderful! Safe travels as you make the journey to say goodbye to your sister. Enjoy the opportunity to see the other relatives. It is always the best part of a memorial service.

Heather - congrats on your progress! Slow and steady will get you there. I know you will have a great time at your sing a long!

The scale was nice this morning after being up the last couple of days. I've been feeling very puffy and my joints were a little sore so I knew I was retaining water and stepped on the scale midweek. Big mistake. It didn't upset me, but it did make me take a good look at my sodium. It wasn't that bad, but I was able to bring it down quite a bit the last two days and it helped. I was down a lb this morning. I will happily take it and keep moving on!

Have a great day ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• Machka9
    edited January 2018
    exermom wrote: »
    M - Vince went to an allergist in FL because he was having problems with his allergies. Seems there's a certain mold that's only around the time when we're usually there. Anyway, he found that he was slightly allergic to CATS. We've only had cats for over 20 years. Seems you CAN build up a resistance to your allergens. Tell me more about how you add a sweet potato to the crock pot. I'd love to get Vince to eat a sweet potato, but I didn't know how since he'd see the different color. I assume you probably peel the potato, does it then break down? Do you have to mash it up some?

For example, one of the things I made quite often is this:

Lightly brown chicken mince.

Peel and cut up half a sweet potato (I cut it in disks like you do a carrot, and then cut the disks in half
    Peel and cut up a carrot or two
    Cauliflower
    Onion
    And whatever other veggies
    Pop them into a pot with water and bring it to the boil for about a minute. Drain.

Put the mince and all the drained veggies into the slow cooker.

Top with light coconut milk, tomato sauce, spices etc.

Let simmer for the next 6 hours or so, stirring about once an hour.

By then, the sweet potato has broken down to mush and is all mixed in with the chicken mince, coconut milk, tomato sauce, spices etc., and it would be difficult to point to a bit and say, "that's sweet potato". Any bits that may have survived look very similar to the carrot pieces.

It's more or less this, but with chicken mince, and with sweet potato (and maybe some other veggies) added, including maybe tomato sauce. So it comes out looking orangey-red anyway.

https://www.mccormick.com.au/products/recipe-bases/slow-cookers/mccormick-slow-cookers-mild-chicken-curry

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,576 Member
    Michele - our Silver Sneakers came with the Part B Supplemental insurance we purchased. It's not a part of Medicare itself as far as I know. There are several different supplemental insurances offered in our area, and Silver Sneakers was offered in 2 of them. Last year our plan, Regence, dropped Silver Sneakers but replaced it with Silver and Fit (pretty much the same thing) which allows us to use the gym and many of the exercise classes for free. The AARP plan - United Healthcare - still has the Silver Sneakers here as far as I know. It's funny - different plans are offered in different counties here in WA.

I am still amazed at how much Vince is like my DH when it comes to eating healthy food. I would have to hide sweet potatoes as well unless they were swimming in brown sugar!

Becca - I too loved the Heart poster. Touching. Keep us posted on DH's surgery (I know you will!)

Had lunch with a friend yesterday - we both had fish (halibut) and chips which I haven't had in ages. It was yummy! But my stomach did protest later in the day, likely from having deep fried food plus the carbs in the breading and fries. :( Back on the wagon today.

Happy Friday!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Good morning all, I am new to this thread. 52 years old and trying very hard to lose some weight. It’s a long battle but I will get there. Anyway looking for some advice. My exercise is some sort of cardio and a workout DVD. Currently working my way through a 12 week Jillian Mitchell’s set. I want to focus on toning and building muscle. You guys have any favourites dvds or maybe something online that you have had good results with? Thanks for your help.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    Good morning all, I am new to this thread. 52 years old and trying very hard to lose some weight. It’s a long battle but I will get there. Anyway looking for some advice. My exercise is some sort of cardio and a workout DVD. Currently working my way through a 12 week Jillian Mitchell’s set. I want to focus on toning and building muscle. You guys have any favourites dvds or maybe something online that you have had good results with? Thanks for your help.

:) Welcome. I walk and dance and ride a recumbent exercise bike and lift weights so I have no clue about exercise DVD's but someone else on this thread will have suggestions. It helps me to have a plan and stick to it. Also to read this thread every day and be part of the discussion. I frequently read books about exercise, nutrition, longevity, and other health related topics. I learn new things from the reading and am reminded about what's most important in my life.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :) Welcome, Jayne, you have come to the right place. Don't worry about will power for the long haul. Just make a plan for today and stick to the plan. Keep learning about what works and what's healthy and make gradual changes. I had to make health my number one priority to help me along my journey.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    edited January 2018
    Welcome Fiona

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Happy Friday! :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,192 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sharon in Lethbridge—are you using Duolingo? I am 45% fluent! Buenas Dias!

RV Rita