Dry January!

Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
Drop the booze, drop the weight. Anyone else with me?

Replies

• xiaoguai
    xiaoguai Posts: 49 Member
    I am in. How to join the challenge? I am a newbie.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Just post in this thread, then update as many times as you want during the month to tell us how you're doing. Best of luck!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I'm in, got through December dry, January should be a breeze!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    ... a day late ... so, in for 30 days ... Looking forward to it!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Great to have:

@Jthanmyfitnesspal (me)
    @xiaoguai
    @MsArriabella
    @Skyweigh

It's not too late to join!
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    I'm in, with the exception of one night this month. We are finally having a date night out for the first time in months. Looking forward to it as I've been so bad lately.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Welcome @hokiemom14!

I've been hitting the craft beers pretty regularly during the holidays as well! Very delicious, but each one is close to 10% of my daily allotment.
  • krissie8882017
    krissie8882017 Posts: 33 Member
    Yes please! I'm in!!! ☺️☺️
  • ku1980rose
    ku1980rose Posts: 7 Member
    I'm in. Will be hard, but we can do 30 days, right?
  • KerryHalter
    KerryHalter Posts: 24 Member
    I'm in! I started yesterday on my own anyway! It'll be more fun and hopefully a little easier with a group!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Welcome @krissie8882017, @ku1980rose, @thiswillhappen, and @KerryHalter. Now we have 9!

Anyone else should feel free to join. There are plenty of days left in the month!
  • mvusenh
    mvusenh Posts: 1 Member
    I’m in!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    I’m in! Started today :)
  • courters123
    courters123 Posts: 13 Member
    Im in :D
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Welcome @mvusenh, @SanDiegofitmom, and @courters123! Now we have 12.

Anyone else interested should still join!
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Happy to report that I've been dry for all of January 2018 so far! :)
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Drying this January (from yesterday-- I drank wine on New Year's Day). Over the past year or so, I have managed to drink a lot less, a few times going a couple of weeks without, and congratulating myself for each night I abstain, marking on my calendar. I do not like how alcohol affects my sleep patterns; I sleep easily after wine, and wake up early (that has often been a good thing, though). My sleep without is deeper and more restorative. I too, also feel a kind of panic when the afternoon transitions into the night, but often, when I'm over that, it's okay. I also notice craving wine when I see people drinking out of wine glasses on tv. Another (major) reason for abstaining is that it takes up too much "mental real estate" .... that is, planning, thinking about, budgeting for, etc. There used to be a commercial saying, "alcohol makes my world smaller" and the truth of that rings for me.

Presently, one of the biggest stumbling blocks (fears, discomforts) is my bff. That is because we have socialized usually around a bottle of wine (or more!) but I have now told her I am abstaining at least for January, and suggested we resume visiting the gym together. We haven't yet had our "Holiday Party" as she was sick during that time. I am contemplating, rehearsing, hanging out with her and drinking water or green tea while she sips wine, but it may be tempting temptation. I am grateful for any comments and suggestions people may have for dealing with this? So far, dealing with this involves kind of re-inventing myself, as with quitting smoking (27 years ago). If I can think of myself as a person who does not drink (and I know a few who just have never had a taste for it) there will be other "go to" strategies.

Happy January, everyone!
  • torinoodle92
    torinoodle92 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in! Didn't drink yesterday so that's my start day!