Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Replies

• etguillemette
    etguillemette Posts: 16 Member
    My two cents. Getting used to and eventually reveling in the harsh bitterness of black coffee and espresso enhances the subtleties of other foods. Conversely, getting used to sweeter flavors tends to set your palate's baseline somewhere on the sweeter end of the spectrum. And it's a lot easier to stick to a healthy diet if you're not constantly craving sweetness.
  • macbaydn
    macbaydn Posts: 2 Member
    I cut out 'fat' coke and only drink Zero now. I don't drink beer, wine, cider or spirits so a glass of Zero a day shouldn't do me too much harm. I also drink 2 litres of water a day.
    I have Unsweetened Almond milk in my tea and coffee (1 cup of each a day) without sugar.
    A Starbucks Almond milk latte is only 80 calories compared to almost 200 for a standard milk latte. I only have this about once a month and they taste superb.
    I haven't purposely gone dairy free it just seems to have happened that way.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    I would cut out both to be honest. Any carbonated drinks aren’t great for your teeth .. coffee just makes you dependant on it for energy .. I can’t drink it as it gives me heart palpitations but people who I know who do drink it try to cut back on it

Same here with the heart palpitations, but I'd also get charlie horses. I found out what the problem was... for some reason caffeinated stuff seems to really suck the potassium outta me. If I consume extra potassium it goes away.

I was freakin out the first time I got heart palpitations. thought I was gonna have a heart attack or something. But I'd always had charlie horses and my doctor told me to eat a few bananas each day.

I accidentally figured out caffeine was causing the heart palpitations too because I would take the potassium for the charlie horses and the heart palpitations would go away with em.

Apparently, for some ppl, too much caffeine causes hypokalemia (I probably chopped that spelling up)... I would definitely fit well in the group who overdoes it on caffeine... it's one of the last bad habits I still have to kick.

I quit smoking, quit drinking, quit with the junk food, but I'm having a hell of a time with the caffeine.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I would cut out both to be honest. Any carbonated drinks aren’t great for your teeth .. coffee just makes you dependant on it for energy .. I can’t drink it as it gives me heart palpitations but people who I know who do drink it try to cut back on it

Been drinking (diet) carbonated drinks most of my life. My dentist is quite happy with my teeth. It's called brushing.

Not sure how good your dentist is, but drinking fizzy drinks is bad for your teeth .. FACT

Drink with a straw. No fizzy liquid near teeth, so no erosion. As PP pointed out, fruit juices erode teeth as well. WIll you cut out all fruit?
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member

Same here with the heart palpitations, but I'd also get charlie horses. I found out what the problem was... for some reason caffeinated stuff seems to really suck the potassium outta me. If I consume extra potassium it goes away.

I was freakin out the first time I got heart palpitations. thought I was gonna have a heart attack or something. But I'd always had charlie horses and my doctor told me to eat a few bananas each day.

I accidentally figured out caffeine was causing the heart palpitations too because I would take the potassium for the charlie horses and the heart palpitations would go away with em.

Apparently, for some ppl, too much caffeine causes hypokalemia (I probably chopped that spelling up)... I would definitely fit well in the group who overdoes it on caffeine... it's one of the last bad habits I still have to kick.

I quit smoking, quit drinking, quit with the junk food, but I'm having a hell of a time with the caffeine.

The heart palpitations really suck don’t they! I haven’t drunk coffee in years now as it’s just not worth it .. green tea I can have a few of but then need to stop. What are Charlie horses?