Do you pump your own?

1235»

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I’ve never used full service. Seems weird to me. I don’t mind pumping gas. I just click the thing and browse social media on my phone..

What? You don't watch the numbers to try get it on the exact right amount and scream, shout and kick your car if you don't?

haha no. usually just fill my truck till it's full.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Another thing you Americans do backwards is making me pay BEFORE I fill up my car...that just doesn't make sense!!!!

It wasn't always that way. But too many drive-offs without paying changed things. :(
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    I didn't read all the comments here, so I'm probably late to this party but....

.... how bad are you at pumping gas that you smell like it all day long afterward??????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    I didn't even know that people had full service stations anymore. I've never been to one...pumping your own gas isn't that hard and you don't smell like gas...it goes into the tank, not all over your clothes. *kitten* weird...

If I ever came across a full service station, not sure I would even know what to do except shout at them to not touch the bimmer...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Some models of cars are bad about splashing gas out when the tank gets full. My daughter had a car like that. It was almost impossible to fill the tank without getting gas on your hand or shoes.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2018
    Another thing you Americans do backwards is making me pay BEFORE I fill up my car...that just doesn't make sense!!!!

That's the law in parts of Canada, and common practice just about everywhere else. Saves lives, plain and simple. Granted it saves the life of an attendant foolish enough to try to stop a "gas-and-dasher" by jumping in front of their vehicle, but it saves lives nonetheless.

Also, your argument doesn't really hold when you consider all the other things you pay for up front (concerts, sporting events, flights, admission to anywhere where admission is charged.....).
  • mybfisred
    mybfisred Posts: 1,388 Member
    Never been to full service...always self service girl
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Some models of cars are bad about splashing gas out when the tank gets full. My daughter had a car like that. It was almost impossible to fill the tank without getting gas on your hand or shoes.

My jeep is that way, I have to under fill it slightly to avoid splashed gas. It's a pain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

That's 'cuz people pump and run...

I just use my credit card...I also get double miles on my CC for gas, so bonus...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    I had no idea full service gas stations still existed.

edited... major typo
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Haven’t seen full-service in years. :-(
  • EdR55
    EdR55 Posts: 174 Member
    Maybe someday C&C
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    We haven’t had full service gas stations in years here.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I don't think there's a full service gas station within 100 miles of me, so, yeah, I pump my own.
  • Seitnyx
    Seitnyx Posts: 33 Member
    I live in NYC so we can pump our own but some gas stations are full service meaning an employee pumps gas for you. Whenever I go across the river to NJ it’s illegal to pump your own gas. I like pumping my own for the sole reason that I only have one car to worry about so it’s faster getting out. But in the winter it’s definitely nice to not have to leave the car
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I’ve never used full service. Seems weird to me. I don’t mind pumping gas. I just click the thing and browse social media on my phone..

What? You don't watch the numbers to try get it on the exact right amount and scream, shout and kick your car if you don't?

Yes!! And I always try to guess how much I'm going to have to pay! Kinda silly 'cause I suck at math, but typically ~$55 to fill my little mazda 3
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Seitnyx wrote: »
    I live in NYC so we can pump our own but some gas stations are full service meaning an employee pumps gas for you. Whenever I go across the river to NJ it’s illegal to pump your own gas. I like pumping my own for the sole reason that I only have one car to worry about so it’s faster getting out. But in the winter it’s definitely nice to not have to leave the car

Why is it illegal in NJ?