SUCCESS STORIES:LOW CARB ATKINS OR SOUTH BEACH!

1234568»

Replies

• JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Your body is an amazing thing it will switch fuel sources in any situation to survive. I've lost weight eating carbs and keto. I had my best results on Keto and I'm back on it now as I like to switch things around so my body does not get too used to one thing and it's working for me. I also lift weights 3-4 times per week, am I worried about having next to no glycogen in my muscles? Hell NO.

Do what works for you, tweak it to what works for you. it's not one size fits all you have to find what works for you and then do it.

I'm currently following the Dave Palumbo Keto diet it's pretty strict but I enjoy doing it along with IF. When I first started it with no exercise at all I shifted loads of weight. So far over 70lbs down in just under 5 months through a mix o a strictf keto diet and another plan I did for myself which had around 150g carbs per day.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I am pleased with my success on the Dukan diet - but I followed thru on all four phases with the on line coaching. I still don't eat rice, potatos, pasta or bread. I try to stay gluten free and treat gluten like it's a special treat. I lost 46 pounds in about 6 months. I did log my calories in the whole time and still do on maintainance. I have kept it off for about 15 months now.

I eat carbs, but not the ones mentioned above. I have plenty of energy.
  • bump
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    I've been doing Atkins for about 2 1/2 months. So far I lost 22 lbs. I am losing my weight slowly but surely. I still have 40 more lbs to go, but I am already feeling great. Atkins is working for me because I am not feeling hungry. I love eating meat, eggs, fish, cheese and veggies so it works for me. I'm looking forward to moving on to phase 2 soon. I'm looking for more friends so feel free to friend request me.

Good luck in your weight loss journey!
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Glad you guys seen and are still seeing results awesome! !!
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Not even near goal yet, but progress is success! Here's a note that I sent to a friend asking about what I do, since it explains it all:

I've only carbed out twice since I've started and I have a hard time finding an excuse to do so!
    And this is why...

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet allows you 1-2 Complimentary Meals that are low to no carb and then a reward meal
    EVERY NIGHT. This is when you want to eat your nutrients like sweet potatoes, brown rice, higher carbed fruits and
    veggies...DoN"T FORGET desert. There is no portion control as long as you keep all your meals balanced. Here's the catch...
    NO SNACKING, and your Reward Meal has to be eaten within 60 minutes, no longer!

The first couple of weeks I ate like a pig and still lost, even consuming over 2000 calories and no exercise. Then sometime during the 3rd week, I realized that I didn't want to be a pig pig for the rest of my life and lowered my REAL reward meals to 3x's a week.
    I started tracking my calories, and as each week passes I find myself eating less and less. I have never felt so satisfied by food in my life, and I'm losing to boot.

After 6 weeks of solely doing the CAD, I started introducing completely low carb days to induce a faster loss. I have a fractured back, and am restricted to low impact exercise, and I don't want to be skinny-fat. Hopefully, if I can get to 250 or 225, the spine DR will release me for some higher impact fun, like zumba, soccer, etc. With CAD you will lose about 1% of your body weight a week.
    So at 250, you should lose 2.5 a week.

So for the past 4 weeks I have been doing 2 days low carb, 1 day CAD, and so forth. It's really working, especially for a carb addict like me. THE PLUS SIDE....NO CRAVINGS! I don't crave any carb rich foods hardly at all. If I eat something, it's because I truly want it, and I am not driven by the urges that tell me I NEED it!

I don't try to mess with anyone's WOE, because I know everyone is different metabolically. But I seriously suggest getting the book. I got mine from Amazon for $.01 plus shipping and handling, a total of $4. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. No more suffering on the low carb forever deal. I have lost 33.7 lbs in 10 weeks and I've gone from a size 26 to a very loose 22.

The confidence in knowing that I will be able to maintain my weight loss has given me so much confidence in continuing!

Here's a few links if you are interested in knowing even more...
    Official website: http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/

My almost daily blog with logged foods: http://razing7.blogspot.com/

The best support group besides MFP ever: https://www.facebook.com/groups/245919655427576/
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    When I first started trying to get healthy and had no idea about fitness and nutrition, I wanted a quick fix. I tried South Beach. Yes, I lost about eight pounds, but I was also out of energy, irritable, and felt like garbage all the time. Once I started counting calories, and then joined MFP, I learned how to actually fuel my body, instead of treating it like the trash I was putting into it.

Humans are large organisms, and we need to intake a good deal of calories to maintain our bodies and cellular respiration REQUIRES complex and simple sugars. Cutting out sugar and carbs is not something I advocate.

Eat a safe calorie deficit, get in your water and exercise, and lose the pounds in a healthy and safe way that won't leave you feeling awful.
  • shmotzy
    shmotzy Posts: 16 Member
    This is what I plan to do...I am going to restart Atkins again, but this time I am not going to do Induction. I am going to start on OWL and reduce my net carbs to 35 grams per day. If I have to lower that amount in a few weeks, fine. I am also going to track my food intake here on MFP. I need to lose at least 50 lbs, probably more.
  • Ruthie how many carbs do you eat a day?
  • Hi there everyone, I am new here. To begin with i started the atkins diet 3 days ago. I am 42, 5ft 1 and i weigh 66 kilos. I really only want to lose around 10 kilos. Anyway the reason i am posting is to ask a few questions. I am on phase 1 of induction but last night i went to a wedding and yes i drank around half bottle of wine, but i only ate meat and a few lettuce leaves. My question is will this set me back. Really want to get slimed down before my daughter's 18th birthday bash. Another question i have is with me needing to lose 10 kilos will this take a longer time?
    Thanks Elektra
  • Day 5 of induction and lost 2 kilos and an inch or so around my body.... :wink: Was very sceptical about the diet when started, but now i am hooked....68159116.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    This was the moderators topic:

IF YOU HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH LOW CARB , ATKINS, OR SOUTH BEACH PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY OR AND PICTURES NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON MFP LOOKING FOR THAT PUSH THATS NOT JUST ABOUT CALORIES!!!!! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP GIVE SOMEONE THAT PUSH!!

When I read this, I was initially thrilled because what I thought I was going to see was various people telling their low carb lifestyles with results. For 6 pages, I have consistently read various persons input on why low carb does not work, bleeding the word "calorie" until it was dry, and various citation of studies to prove why they are right. It fine that you have all this proof of why low carb is "fad" but that is not what the moderator asked for therefore I must be inclined to believe either (1) you were unable to read and understand the moderators question, (2) your a health bully; you found a way that worked for you and know everything else must be wrong, (3) you just don't care that you never answered her question, or (4) you are too afraid to start your own post/thread stating why low carb in not a real, true, healthy.... whatever! and you must impose onto others threads and over exert your (unsolicited ) opinion on a thread which was seeking success stories while on low carb. You would be highly insulted in an everyday scenario if a various person walked into your group conversation and said... "Well, I think A,B,C,D". Being honest with yourself , your first response would be "who asked you".

I am sorry my rant is sooo long. I really did click upon this thread hoping to see success stories and pictures of those who embraced a low carb lifestyle.

i agree.
  • Beaconkitty
    Beaconkitty Posts: 5 Member
    I am on Atkins now and I am doing great, i have been on every diet in the world , starting when I was 12 and I am 50 now. I like low carb because I feel full. However, Dr Atkins did not say to eat like a pig so I am paying attention to portions and hunger
  • I lost 40lbs on atkins and went from a 16 to a 12/14 last year with no hunger. It does work if you follow it - and I was less sick, my asthma was totally controlled and my digestion was extremely regular. I felt clarity and energy too once I got past the 2 week mark.

Unfortunately, I started a new job, moved and had a bunch of stress and went off the wagon (eating really badly - anything i wanted) and gained it all back.

I am on a lean protein, low carb diet now - it's a mix of aktins and the 17 day diet... basically bad carbs are still off the menu as well as any kind of processed foods.. I try to keep very consistent with the meals. Some people cut out alcohol and coffee. I don't - I mix a zero carb drink (gin, soda, lime & crystal light :) and I drink my coffee with heavy cream as my treat in the morning..

exercise is important and with all the protein you are eating - you can build muscle faster.. so add in some core moves and weights.. a little goes a long way.

What are your favorite low carb meals?
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    August 2013 I started low carb. Weighed 295+ pounds, (36 at that time- male 6-0) I now just over 10 months later weigh 171.4 pounds this morning. I did this with about 6 month eating 50 g or less carbs, exercise, and 1950 calories per day.

Everyone wants to argue against low carb, saying you lose water etc... and honestly don't get this, why does it matter how someone loses weight. Truth is everyone is not the same, I for one ate a lot of simple carbs, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc... When I say a lot I mean way way way too much. For me staying away from carbs 1) kept me full, no late night snacking, 2) helped me burn fat, if you don't get energy from a bunch of carbs where does it come from? And 3) losing water weight helped mentally.

Now was it just low carb? No, but low carb helped me keep my calories down, if I would have ate the same I would be starving because of reduced calories, I couldn't have done it. Some of you think carbs are required to live and that's simply not true, you don't need carbs to survive, you want them. If they don't cause you to over eat then great eat them, eat sugar for all I care, but stop with attacking low carb as you just lose water and scaring off many who may have great luck with low carb, I've been over 200 pounds my entire adult life I couldn't have made it here without low carb. I've lost over 100 pounds and I can tell you after beginning fat came off, other wise your just saying I held over 100 pounds of water...

Do what works for you. If carbs not a problem for you then eat away, but if you are like me, restricting carbs can help you lose the weight and get the body you want. You can exercise with no energy issues, you body will use fat to allow you to perform, why else do you think your body stored fat all over your body?? Do what works for you, can you have success? I'm proof that yes you can. Do you have to have low carb? No, again do what works for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!