BCAAs? has anyone noticed a difference in the speed of recovery and not aching so much after?

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    i have been recommended to take bcaas to speed up my recovery from weight lifting as i can get very sore muscles the next day. just wanted more opinions. has it worked for you?

I use Revolution Nutrition BCAA Splash during my workouts simply as a Water Flavoring. Does it do anything for me metabolically or Anabolically? No, not at all.

It's simply a cost-effective way that has me drinking more water (5-6 Litres /day) which in itself is a strong component nutritionally and one of the most neglected.

I don't mix it full strength though. (It recommends 2 scoops in 250mls). 1 tsp in a litre is enough for me, but again it's strictly a water flavoring. Compared to other "Sport Drinks" (aka "Sugar Water"), I don't see any side effects save increased bathroom trips from all the water I'm drinking.

There are other options out there no doubt, and no it's not needed, but it's what works for my personal budget.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Welcome to one of the most disputed topics on MFP. Both sides quoting "Facts" and "Objective Data," both sides pointing to studies to back up their claims. Both sides swearing the other sides "Facts" or "Studies" are BS.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    It reminds me when someone says keto is the only diet that works because it worked for them. Keto was not the cause of the weight loss, there were other factors that people didn't take into consideration like CICO. Samething with BCAA, people will swear by them, but there are other factors in that which made them believe it work, it could be mental, it could be other foods or supplements they took, who knows. However with all the research being done to them, they are nowhere near in the category of "It does work" unlike creatine or beta-alanine for example. What's great about life is that we have choices with the information we have. You can still buy them or not, in the end it doesn't matter to me or anyone else.
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    It has been proven time and time again in peer reviewed scientific journals that BCAAs do absolutely nothing.

Don’t waste your money.

All the science and studies are pointing towards EAAs. Spend your money on that if you want something worthwhile.

But I wouldn’t even consider EAAs unless your training and nutrition are on point. They are expensive and you need to order them online to get good product.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I've been adding BCAA's to my morning shake for a few months and have seen absolutely no difference in muscle soreness. I'm still sore pretty much every day and so far the only effective solution I've found is foam rolling and buttloads of ibuprofen.

If you want to start you digestive system rotting out (from someone with experience)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I've been adding BCAA's to my morning shake for a few months and have seen absolutely no difference in muscle soreness. I'm still sore pretty much every day and so far the only effective solution I've found is foam rolling and buttloads of ibuprofen.

If you want to start you digestive system rotting out (from someone with experience)

Not if you use it as an enema, I suppose. o:)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member

It's much easier to tolerate if you cap daily dosage at about 1200 mgs with only occasional jumps to 1800. It's irritated ulcers when I've had those and messed with my kidneys a couple of times at higher doses, for sure so I've become more diligent in monitoring my dosage. I drink a ton of water, which helps tremendously with tolerance as well as taking it with food. But it's the only OTC pain reliever I've found to be effective, so not much choice but to work around the side effects as best I can while it's an option.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

It's much easier to tolerate if you cap daily dosage at about 1200 mgs with only occasional jumps to 1800. It's irritated ulcers when I've had those and messed with my kidneys a couple of times at higher doses, for sure so I've become more diligent in monitoring my dosage. I drink a ton of water, which helps tremendously with tolerance as well as taking it with food. But it's the only OTC pain reliever I've found to be effective, so not much choice but to work around the side effects as best I can while it's an option.

Over the course of 15 years It gave me reflux.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    OP, here is the question that needs to be answered. What does your diet look like and do you get adequate protein? How big is your deficit? What does your training look like (frequency and type of training)? Have you tried to time nutrients around a workout?

If you are having trouble recovering, its more likely that your diet and or training protocol is out of whack.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Over the course of 15 years It gave me reflux.

Yep, also my experience. Was taking the vitamin I for back pain. I ended up finding a great physical therapist and determined the root cause of my pain was too much sitting from an office job with long hours and a long commute. With some targeted mobility/stretching got the back to clear up, quit vitamin I and the reflux went away.

Incidents like this is why I'll post on this forum the suggestion to determine and fix the root cause of an issue, before medicating/supplementing.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Welcome to one of the most disputed topics on MFP. Both sides quoting "Facts" and "Objective Data," both sides pointing to studies to back up their claims. Both sides swearing the other sides "Facts" or "Studies" are BS.

Whats wrong with being able to discuss our own experiences in addition to JUST facts and research that's all.
  • se015
    sijomial wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    vtneddo wrote: »
    I am SO GLAD to see literature being touted in this thread instead of anecdote, despite what the OP is naively requesting. Cheers to using the research to shape the future of this field!

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the fact asking people's indidual experiences? Yes okay obviously you can't debate facts, but everyone responds slightly different to products.

If you asked two people about their experience with creatine and the first said they got absolutely nothing out of it and the second said they sharted themselves into unintentional weight loss you would get an entirely false impression of a very widely studied and useful (to some) supplement.

Research, science, expert opinion AND personal experience is fine but excluding everything except anecdotes is silly.

I agree and I never wanted to exclude everything except anecdotes though
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I am SO GLAD to see literature being touted in this thread instead of anecdote, despite what the OP is naively requesting. Cheers to using the research to shape the future of this field!

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the fact asking people's indidual experiences? Yes okay obviously you can't debate facts, but everyone responds slightly different to products.

If you asked two people about their experience with creatine and the first said they got absolutely nothing out of it and the second said they sharted themselves into unintentional weight loss you would get an entirely false impression of a very widely studied and useful (to some) supplement.

Research, science, expert opinion AND personal experience is fine but excluding everything except anecdotes is silly.

Yet, the OP did.
  • se015
    mmapags wrote: »

Yet, the OP did.

I was under the impression that she was seeking out other opinions but I didn't think she wanted to totally exclude research. That was my understanding. Perhaps I was incorrect there.