Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Net Carbs

nonnisuenonnisue Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
Why doesn’t MFP show net carbs? Only shows full, not subtracting fiber or sugar alcohols.

Replies

• AnvilHeadAnvilHead Posts: 15,278Member Member Posts: 15,278Member Member
    Because the USA is one of the only countries whose labels don't already show net carbs, so if MFP subtracted fibre from carbs on anything but a USA label, it would be a double subtraction and would be wrong. The database already has millions of entries, and applying an algorithm that subtracted fibre from carbs would render most of the entries completely unreliable. To complicate, thousands of the entries in the database (particularly UK, Eurpoe and Australian entires) ARE net carb, because the info has been taken from labels.

You should save this for a cut and paste into the incessant 'net carbs' threads which show up on a pretty much daily basis.
    edited January 25
  • RJWenzelRJWenzel Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    Perhaps it could be a Premium option . . .
  • MySweetLaviniaMySweetLavinia Posts: 75Member Member Posts: 75Member Member
    Could it not be made an option? You can already choose which macros your food dairy shows, so why not just make it one more you can choose from?
  • tammyfranks2tammyfranks2 Posts: 125Member Member Posts: 125Member Member
    i just add it in my notes , like a thinslim bagel has 16 carbs but when ya subtract the 14 fibers makes it net carb of 2 , so I just do it myself . I know if i write it down I will stay on tract . so if ya look at my diary you will see it in my notes.
    edited February 3
  • malibu927malibu927 Posts: 16,608Member Member Posts: 16,608Member Member
    Could it not be made an option? You can already choose which macros your food dairy shows, so why not just make it one more you can choose from?

It is not an option because of the reasons listed above
  • MySweetLaviniaMySweetLavinia Posts: 75Member Member Posts: 75Member Member
    I don't see those as valid reasons, since it would be turned off my default and only added in if the user chose it. Yes, only American MFPers need this feature, but we do make up a pretty decent portion of the population here, and it wouldn't be forced on anyone.
  • AnvilHeadAnvilHead Posts: 15,278Member Member Posts: 15,278Member Member
    You may not see them as valid reasons, everybody wants what they want. But the developers apparently do, because people have been begging for this over and over and over and over again for years and it still hasn't happened. There's obviously a reason for that. Which has been explained above, and in every single other of the hundreds of "net carbs" threads.
  • RJWenzelRJWenzel Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    It seems to me that when "people have been begging for this over and over and over and over again for years" you'd think from a purely capitalistic standpoint, an enterprising complany would think "hey, there's money to be made here." But instead, what we have is customers that want something, and people telling them that they shouldn't want it. Whatever.
  • VintageFelineVintageFeline Posts: 6,782Member Member Posts: 6,782Member Member
    Let's be realistic here. This is only an issue for US users. Further, this is only an issue for US users who are tracking net carbs. That's not going to be a significant number of users, certainly not enough to warrant the writing of a whole algorithm purely for US entries for that small subsection of users. It's just not a sensible business decision.

Forum population isn't an accurate way to assess business need and low carbers do seem especially vocal about everything relating to their dietary choices so offer a skewed view of need.
  • notreallychrisnotreallychris Posts: 506Member Member Posts: 506Member Member
    RJWenzel wrote: »
    It seems to me that when "people have been begging for this over and over and over and over again for years" you'd think from a purely capitalistic standpoint, an enterprising complany would think "hey, there's money to be made here." But instead, what we have is customers that want something, and people telling them that they shouldn't want it. Whatever.

It's a free app...Unless you paid for premium. In which case it's not even an option. Because of the reasons listed. Someone does have a script that does it for you, but I'm not that savvy to recall how it worked.
  • danceandplaydanceandplay Posts: 14Member Member Posts: 14Member Member
    Diabetics must track net carbs. We already have enough math to do to not die. Our insulin injections are dependent on knowing how many carbs will be absorbed.
  • TeaBeaTeaBea Posts: 13,372Member Member Posts: 13,372Member Member
    Diabetics must track net carbs. We already have enough math to do to not die. Our insulin injections are dependent on knowing how many carbs will be absorbed.

That's fine.....but the point still stands this site is international. Because there are different dietary reporting rules for different countries some entries are ALREADY net carb, and some are not. MFP has no way to sort these entries out as users aren't asked to label entries with a country of origin.

Look in one of the low carb groups....there is program to download that applies the "math" for you. But you still need to be careful as to not choose entries that are already net carb, or you will get double "credit."

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 24,722Member Member Posts: 24,722Member Member
    Also, if you go to the Printable version of the food diary, the carbs, sugars, and fiber are tracked by default on that page. Not many people eat more than 40-50g of fiber. How hard is it to do the maths in your head? It's already on the page.

142g carbs minus 22g fiber ....uhhhhhhhhh...120!!

C'mon. It's really not rocket surgery.

Go to the bottom of your FOOD page and click the green button that says, "View Full Report (Printable)"

:drinker:
    edited April 11