2018 Move It Monday Challenge

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,725 Member
    Dec 10

Lots of walking (I'm trying for 15,000 steps this week), plus my workout with sister. Great Monday!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    Lots of meetings today, so didn't get all my steps in, but I did go up and down stairs quite a bit so it was something at least!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    December 10, 3 Mega Miles Burn & Firm plus 1 Walk Blaster (cool down & stretching)

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    I planned on my regular workout at Curves this morning, but when my sister and I arrived, it was closed because their window had been smashed and they had been burglarized. (Stupid thieves - there is no money there). So, after expressing our sympathy to the owner, we took a walk around the neighborhood to get in a Monday workout.

• 77tes
    I have some super exciting news to share with you about our Move it Monday challenge. Several months ago, I reached out to the Move It Monday organization and told them about our weekly Monday challenge. I’ve had several phone conversations since then with the Move it Monday program director. She has seen our challenge thread and is very impressed with the dedication of our group!

We’ve been seeking a way to collaborate and now have a terrific plan that’s in motion. Starting Monday, January 21, each of our weekly Move it Monday challenges through March will have a specific theme. Something that I’ve selected in advance in partnership with the MIM organization. My hope is that these challenges appeal to you and also to the greater MFP community. As we know, MFP has a lot of new folks joining in January. I’m hoping that our Monday challenges can inspire many of these folks to make exercise a regular habit. I will be reaching out to you for a quick assist in publishing this challenge to MFP in early January. We’ve seen how regular exercise improves our health and our lives. Let’s give a loving nudge to others and help them experience that same magical power of exercise and sitting less by starting the week with movement!

It all starts Jan 21st!

And a special shoutout to @texasgardnr, who first planted the seed of making Move it Monday regular weekly challenge! Thank you Mary!

As I mentioned earlier, we’re going to have a special 9 week Move it Monday challenge starting January 21st. I’m writing a blog post promoting the challenge that I’ll post on MFP in mid January. I’m hoping to get it trend and seen by as many people as possible. I’m convinced starting the week with exercise is one of the best habits we can have.

If you’ve been a regular participant in our Move it Monday challenge, has it helped you and if so, how has it helped you? I would really appreciate your input. I know that I tend to exercise more often the rest of the week when I start Monday with exercise. And regular exercise helps me make better food choices, sleep better, and deal with stress more effectively. What about you?

I want to promote the benefits of participating in Move it Monday, but I need it to reflect more than just my observations! If you’d like to comment here, great! And if you’d like to comment privately, just send me a message through MFP. Anonymous emails can be sent through my website’s comment form:

https://www.quittingthesitting.org/contact-us.html

I really appreciate your help and input on this! I’m getting excited about this challenge and the Move It Monday organization is fantastic to work with.

Thanks for your input!

I promised a few weeks ago that I would share my experience about the Move it Monday challenge.

Being active is a relatively new part of my life after decades of being too busy and tired to exercise regularly. As a result of all those years of inertia, getting moving has been difficult. For me, starting the week well has helped me keep my intention. I started by making a standing appointment with my sister to workout at Curves 3 days per week, and Monday is the first of the 3. By starting the week in an active way, I set the pattern for the rest of the week. In the same way, I try to be careful with my food choices on the first day of the work week. If I have one day down, it is easier to stay the course. Being in a challenge group is another great way to be accountable, and to encourage myself to be active, so I always look forward to posting that I "Moved It" and seeing what others have done to be active. From the others in the group, I've been inspired to try different kinds of exercise. So, even when I can't do my meet-up with my sister, I can do some kind of activity. There is always walking, and if the weather is bad, my friends recommendations of videos I can do in the house leave me with no excuse.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I walked 4.26 miles yesterday.
  • texasgardnr
    For December 17: 5 miles, 5 Mega Miles DVD using the exercise band, 1 Walk Blaster (cool down & stretching).

@77tes, I like how you wrote about your experiences with MIM. Well written! That was sad about your local Curves being burglarized. I'm glad that you were able to take a neighborhood walk instead.

@nebslp, it is awesome how you are finding different ways to move more while taking your road trip. And I especially liked that when the fitness room at your hotel left much to be desired you still found an enjoyable way to move! That was an inspiring post that you wrote!

@PinkyPan1, more impressive mileage! Good for you.

• texasgardnr
    For December 24: 60 minute or so brisk park walk with a stop at the exercise machines there.

Happy Christmas Eve & a very Merry Christmas to one and all :star:

• PackerFanInGB
    December 24th, I was on my feet running around like a mad woman all day. We had all our kids and grandkids here at one time or another, so entertained about 30 people throughout the day. That's about it. I was very carefulk with what I ate. I didn't deprive myself of things I wanted, but I had small bites. :) Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!
  • texasgardnr
    For December 31: 3 miles, 3 Fast & Fun Miles, 1 Walk Blaster (cool down & stretching), gazelle,

Happy New Year's Eve and a healthy, happy 2019 <3

• PackerFanInGB
    Happy New Year to everyone! I didn't get any moving in today as I worked, and it was raining this morning which turned into freezing rain, then snow. I was nervous to slip and fall again, so didn't take my lunchtime walk. Tonight is our 19th wedding anniversary, so we had a nice dinner and movie.

TOMORROW will be my Monday. I will take my dog, Maddie, out for her first walk in the snow. :)
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,645 Member
    @PackerFanInGB Happy Anniversary! Stay safe in that snow.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Thank you @nebslp! The last thing I need right now is to slip on ice and hit my head again. Good golly, I'm still going on weekly visits to the Concussion Clinic from the last fall. I want to take Maddie out in the snow to play, but there is so much ice under the snow my husband has been really urging me not to do it today. Looks like it will be a treadmill kind of day! I plan to try out bringing my iPad with me and reading while I walk. Excited to start 2019 off right!!!!

xoxo
  • 77tes
    I couldn't do my usual Curves workout this Monday because our branch is closed Monday and Tuesday, so instead I took long walks both days.

@PackerFanInGB , better to be safe than risk another concussion, so the treadmill sounds like a good option. And Happy Anniversary!
  • texasgardnr
    for January 7: 3 miles, Walk Your Belly Flat, plus gazelle

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    Got my usual Monday workout at Curves with my sister plus a walk to the Post Office. I feels good to be back into routine.
  • texasgardnr
    Yippee! The 2019 Move It Monday Challenge! has been posted! Thank you Denise for all the work that you have put into it to make it happen! Looking forward to it B) .

:flowerforyou: