Feet go numb while using elliptical

2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Which part of your foot? Where does it start? Like, does it start in your toes and spread backwards? What elevation are you on (none, low, medium, highest)? Are you wearing running shoes? shoes with an arch? A lot of running shoes are designed to help you propel forward, which won't work on an elliptical.

Are you short? if you're reaching forward for the hand-holds, you could be rolling onto your toes too much.

• TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    I also pedal backwards for a bit when this happens and it helps
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    Which part of your foot? Where does it start? Like, does it start in your toes and spread backwards? What elevation are you on (none, low, medium, highest)? Are you wearing running shoes? shoes with an arch? A lot of running shoes are designed to help you propel forward, which won't work on an elliptical.

Are you short? if you're reaching forward for the hand-holds, you could be rolling onto your toes too much.

Yes to all of the above. I am wearing running shoes, with arch support and I'm short
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I shift my feet either inward or outward, and my weight back and forth onto my toes then heels to prevent it. Changing directions and speed helps also.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I literally just asked one of the trainers at my gym today about this because it happens to me all the time. And he said it happens to him too! He thinks it is due to foot position, especially if your feet creep up towards the very front edge of the platforms
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Happens all the time with Elipticals that allow you to support part of your weight on side bars. When You have the ones with moving arms I don’t notice it as often. When I do feel it, I have Diabetic Neuropathy as well it helps to rock your heel and ball of my foot. Numbness is a sign of pitched nerves or lack of circulation. Try rocking your feet or changing your foot position, if that helps your good’
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Your shoes may fit well, but on the elliptical, your feet need a little extra space. Loosen the laces nearer to the toes and make sure you are engaging your heel on the downstep, and not the toes. It makes a difference.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Your shoes may fit well, but on the elliptical, your feet need a little extra space. Loosen the laces nearer to the toes and make sure you are engaging your heel on the downstep, and not the toes. It makes a difference.

Thats eexactly what i did yesterday. Much MUCH better. Thank you!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I get this too, with all shoes, laced differently. Starts in my big toes after about 10 minutes. I just deal with it.