Weight loss math doesn't work, so confused!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    aeloine wrote: »
    Thank you aeloine! These graphs are really helpful to see how large the swings are. I was starting to get frustrated by the scale after only 2 weeks. Now I know I need to collate data for much longer before I start to be able to create a downward trend. Thanks for sharing

@jocelynmoore08 here's my ALL time graph (3+ years). The day to day above looks like it's all over the place but it evens out. Hang in there!

qdjkmqtu45jn.png

EDIT: Obviously I didn't want to GAIN. I just wasn't committed to losing for a couple of years. The down trend started around April of last year.

Yep, gains can happen if you lose focus and no longer care about controlling your diet. I'm only just starting to get my downward trend back after several months of gain. Here is my graph since I started using trendweight (my actual starting weight was much higher). Only to show that scale fluctuations are normal, and that even if you regain, you learn from it and move on.

ut241i2boxtj.png
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

So how do people actually starve to death, if what you are saying is true?

by remaining in a calorie deficit, although the lack of essential nutrients is probably more influential, hence "rabbit starvation" where there are available calories but a lack of nutrients.

It's also why you have some folks with significant malnutrition problems even when they are in a calories surplus when living on low cost, high calorie, low nutrition diets. Oh and some extreme forms of paleo (eat your greens folks!)

So by your own admission you can still lose weight if a deficit is present. If there's no deficit you won't lose weight.
    And what does Protein Poisoning have to do with what you're saying? Even if a person failed to get adequate fat in their diets if they were still in a deficit they would lose weight. Mark Haub already proved this by going on a Twinkie diet, it's not nutritionally sound but that's not what he was trying to prove. He was trying to prove that calories are what matter for weight loss.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    Hi- it's me.. The OP. it's amazing how 4 pages of discussion can do everything from debate to preach to accuse but fail to answer my question. I now know (thank you Google) that to lose 2lb/week. need a7000 cal deficit. Very difficult when my BMR is only 1500 - I'm also guessing my Fitbit is grossly exaggerating my calories burned. (Yes I am active but not hyperdrive active) 1200 calories is actually a good about of food (when it's not boxed or packaged) I'm almost 50 and know my body.. I'm good and in no threat of ever starving lol! Thank you to the posters that see through all of the noise to support me and encourage. I appreciate it.

People have offered you advice but it just keeps going round and round, since there isn't enough information to actually understand what you are asking.

What are your maintenance calories or your TDEE for your current weight? That will determine where to start with the math. I don't think you have indicated that in this thread. My BMR is 1576 and I'm 52. However, if I weighed less, (I'm currently at 199 or were taller it would be different). I'm losing 1 lb. per week eating 1500-1600 calories plus all my exercise calories. My TDEE or maintenance calories are around 2000-2100. I was losing 2 lbs. per week when I was heavier, but couldn't sustain it past a 25 lb. loss. My SW was 237.

I give my stats only for example. Each body is different but there are averages/estimates. I work out about 400 minutes per week and that includes walking, zumba and in the summer/early fall, swimming. According to calculations I would have to eat 1000 calories more or less to burn a pound of fat per week. I tried 1200 for about 4 days and it didn't work for me because I was too hungry. You said it's working for you as far as hunger and energy level, which if we are similar weight and height (I have no idea) you should be losing. So something is not right. That could be your logging, it could be that you are already close to an ideal weight with a low BMI, but you haven't given enough information.

You seem to think that people were preaching and accusing, but we were only reacting to the information that you gave. If you want to get "better" answers, you need to give more specific information, IMO.

Oops I'm responding to my own post because it's too late to edit. It should read "I would have to eat only 1000 calories per day to lose 2 lbs. per week". (2000 TDEE - 1000 deficit).
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    May I ask: Have you had your thyroid function checked within the last year? In addition to all the other changes with evolving (cause that's what I call aging and I'm sticking to it) the efficiency of our thyroid can deplete with age. Mine is at the lowest end of normal, which doesn't mean I have a clinical thyroid deficiency, but with a tiny thyroid booster (a little medication), I feel better and I seem to be able to eat more normally and lose weight.

Also, do you know what your lean muscle mass is or percent bodyfat? I went through almost a year of sinus infections, which meant that my head throbbed too much for me to do more than work and exist. In a year, I went from 18% BF to 25% BF. The 1,700 to 1,900 calories a day I ate to lose weight became 1,700 to 1,900 calories per day which put 10 lbs on me in the last year.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    Can somebody with some experience please explain weight loss math to me. My BMI is 1560, I'm eating just under 1200 calories a day, I walk 15000 steps. My total calorie burn is approximately 2400 to 2700, my goal is to lose 2 pounds per week, but I just seem to stick at one number and not move. I eat clean, no processed food, drink plenty of water and get eight hours every night. I feel like I'm checking all the boxes . I do feel great, and I feel like I look better but I can't get past numbers.can someone please explain what I need to do to make the pounds go.

I doubt that your "BMI" (body mass index) is that high. You would be long gone if it was :'( . I think that you are referring to your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate.

"Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest. Use this calculator to find out your BMR, determine your caloric needs, and lose or gain weight." https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.

I would suggest that you re-calculate your BMI and BMR in order to get the right information.