Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    if 33 was it for the day you'ld be right - but throughout the day the average person consumes almost 3 pound 1/3 of a pound of refined sugar daily

Really? So, at 454 grams to the pound, I think that comes in at around 1500 grams of refined sugar daily. The average person consumes that much, on top of protein, fats, naturally occurring/unrefined sugars, starches, etc?

Somehow, when I look at the calories involved in 1500 grams of sugar...

b5xcd87hmvx4.png

I have to question your information. Just a bit.

100 pounds a year/365 = 1/3 pound on avearage

And such an oddly round number. Science based huh?
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    Back to the OP (though the discussion sure has been interesting to read.) There is no one 'healthiest diet' that anyone can recommend for you, with the sole exception that your regular way of eating should nourish you, not harm you.

You may (and I fully advise consulting with a medical professional, because I am most certainly not one) need to start with one basic eating plan, such as Paleo, or whatever eating plan that you settle on, and see what your body best responds to in accordance with your health goals.

Personally, after a few years of trial and error, I eat mainly Paleo, because that's a method of eating that I feel the best on, and eating this way brought my blood sugar from pre-diabetic back into the normal ranges. Also, I enjoy the food, so it's not a hardship for me, and a sustainable, enjoyable way of life. And I really only use 'Paleo' for lack of a better term, because it's a close approximation and therefore easier than rattling off 'I eat protein, and produce and healthy fats, and avoid most grains but enjoy corn and quinoa occasionally, also, since I don't have problems with soy, I use tamari instead of coconut aminos, because they taste nasty.'

Most grains and sugar make me feel cruddy, cause my moods to swing drastically, and literally make me want to eat the world. As a result of this, I don't indulge in the multitude of 'paleo desserts' out there, because while I feel high fructose corn syrup is the devil, other than that, my body treats sugar as sugar, as far as cravings/mood swings go. My body has a higher tolerance for fruit, so I'll eat a couple-three modest servings a week...but again, too much, and it triggers the 'eat the world' urges.

This all being said, my mother tried Paleo, and didn't do well on it. Her system is different than mine, and it wasn't her optimal eating plan. One friend does Keto, and loves it, she feels good, looks great. I tried Keto, and my body hated it, apparently, I need a wider array of produce than Keto allows to feel healthy.

Basically, this long-winded post is saying to just listen to your body.and remember that you don't necessarily have to adopt an eating plan with a label, or buy into what anybody is selling, in order to be healthy.

Oh, don't go being the voice of reason now. We've sailed way past that.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    bottom line 40% is too high - 20% is better - especially when you can get the ATP you need from Fat content - FAT is good for you - small amount of sugar you need but not almost half you diet

I am destined to die now since I eat around 45% sometimes more.

I'm surprised I didn't drop dead from all those refeeds I did in the last few months of last year. I was pushing 300+ grams of carbs a day on weekends, easily over 40% of my cals. And yet here I am, slim, healthy (other than eczema and hay fever, which have no connection to carb or sugar intake, might have tested that one already...), perfect blood work (including A1C). I are special snowflake?

<3 Special Snowflake... lol

I am pushing about 250-275 a day right now daily, maintaining weight, feel great, stamina to do lots of exercise and I will be 50 veeeeerrry soon.

I ran 10 miles today (training run this morning), I wonder if carbs had anything to do with that???

I pay so little attention to my carb intake (and none to sugar). So long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals (and please note bro guy that fat is far from low), I honestly don't care where the rest of the cals fall, other than enough carbs to fuel activity and that's usually going to be over 30%. When the damn weather cools down enough to start running again, it will be higher. I am seriously perplexed as to why healthy, non-diabetic individuals should be remotely scared of carbohydrates. Did we get any sources on that yet?

(secretly waiting for Bro Dude to make outrageous claims about how people in the Palaeolithic ate...)

I have seen no resources on non-diabetic. Did bro guy leave the building?

I too concentrate on protein and fat first. I NEED dietary fat for hormonal balance at my age. Protein is essential to for my exercise (lifting and now running back into my schedule). I let the carbs fall too. And I chose good sources, but I also enjoy a good dessert every night as well. :laugh:

If I had to eat 40% protein and 40% fat I would not feel like eating too much of anything else really.

And today is the only nice day this week to be outside. Winter has killed my outdoor running, treadmills are the worst for training. So I have to take it when it comes, I went into work later so I could run, but don't tell anyone. lol

Treadmill training is sadness (for me). I mean, I'm grateful I can still run, but it's so monotonous. We're forecasted to have a nicer day tomorrow so I've been dreaming all day of my long run and feeling the sun on my face.

I usually do long runs on Saturdays. Today is/was the last day for the next 7 days, we have rain and more rain starting tonight. I can't win on the weather. I have to say running in sun, 45 degrees this morning was amazing.

I have manged to run 8.5 on my treadmill several weeks ago (a first) and I will never do that again. It was horrible. :sad:

Nothing like a long run on on a Saturday morning in nice weather. Enjoy!

I've got a 10K race Sunday. Looks like -6C, just hoping it doesn't snow before then.

Did 5K on the treadmill yesterday. Hate the treadmill but it's cold and dark outside at 5:30 am.

I have a fairly strict policy of only running if I'm going to enjoy it (other than the short phases I always have to go through when starting up again of 'oh dear god, why do I do this??'). I despise running when it's hot, and I'm pretty sure I would despise running on a treadmill (even if I had access to one). I don't even like road running (though seem to mind it less in my pretty little town than I did in the city). The downside to this is that I will go long periods not running at all, and have to work my way back up. It's actually looking like it will stay overcast today, and not get too hot, so maybe I will run this afternoon :) Gotta burn off that sugar before it kills me!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    thus the Original OPs post was average - what you are talking about are statistical outliers - in general people who eat less carbs - NOT no Carbs but less carbs - will on average be healthier - 40% is too high - the FDA has us eating 75% of our diet Grains Fruit and veg...... too much sugar under those percentages

Tell me, if my protein is adequate, fat adequate, micros being met, what actual, quantifiable harm is the sugar doing to me however I'm eating it?

Inflammation of soft tissue - Insulin sensitivity (High A1C numbers) - heart disease, peripheral neuropathy for starters

Evidence for this? And not one of the spurious links you've already provided.

here is one https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/peripheral-neuropathy-risk-factors-symptoms#1

This article (which is not the same as a study) is about people with diabetes. Do you have any evidence of this being a concern for the majority of the healthy population, or are we talking about those dreaded outliers again?

and pre-diabetic Hig A1C numbers - 40% carbs is too high ---- and will lead to long term inflamation

I live with long term inflammation from a genuine medical condition, and you know what? I eat plenty of carbs and my inflammatory markers are regularly tested to monitor my medical condition. Those markers are perfect.

You know when they weren't perfect?

When I was obese.

You know what changed? Not my diet. It was my weight. I ate carbs then, I eat carbs now.

Yup, technically I have an inflammatory auto-immune disorder. Carbs and sugar make no difference.

Me too
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    bottom line 40% is too high - 20% is better - especially when you can get the ATP you need from Fat content - FAT is good for you - small amount of sugar you need but not almost half you diet

I'm surprised I didn't drop dead from all those refeeds I did in the last few months of last year. I was pushing 300+ grams of carbs a day on weekends, easily over 40% of my cals. And yet here I am, slim, healthy (other than eczema and hay fever, which have no connection to carb or sugar intake, might have tested that one already...), perfect blood work (including A1C). I are special snowflake?

I am pushing about 250-275 a day right now daily, maintaining weight, feel great, stamina to do lots of exercise and I will be 50 veeeeerrry soon.

I ran 10 miles today (training run this morning), I wonder if carbs had anything to do with that???

I pay so little attention to my carb intake (and none to sugar). So long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals (and please note bro guy that fat is far from low), I honestly don't care where the rest of the cals fall, other than enough carbs to fuel activity and that's usually going to be over 30%. When the damn weather cools down enough to start running again, it will be higher. I am seriously perplexed as to why healthy, non-diabetic individuals should be remotely scared of carbohydrates. Did we get any sources on that yet?

(secretly waiting for Bro Dude to make outrageous claims about how people in the Palaeolithic ate...)

I too concentrate on protein and fat first. I NEED dietary fat for hormonal balance at my age. Protein is essential to for my exercise (lifting and now running back into my schedule). I let the carbs fall too. And I chose good sources, but I also enjoy a good dessert every night as well. :laugh:

If I had to eat 40% protein and 40% fat I would not feel like eating too much of anything else really.

And today is the only nice day this week to be outside. Winter has killed my outdoor running, treadmills are the worst for training. So I have to take it when it comes, I went into work later so I could run, but don't tell anyone. lol

Treadmill training is sadness (for me). I mean, I'm grateful I can still run, but it's so monotonous. We're forecasted to have a nicer day tomorrow so I've been dreaming all day of my long run and feeling the sun on my face.

I usually do long runs on Saturdays. Today is/was the last day for the next 7 days, we have rain and more rain starting tonight. I can't win on the weather. I have to say running in sun, 45 degrees this morning was amazing.

I have manged to run 8.5 on my treadmill several weeks ago (a first) and I will never do that again. It was horrible. :sad:

I've got a 10K race Sunday. Looks like -6C, just hoping it doesn't snow before then.

Did 5K on the treadmill yesterday. Hate the treadmill but it's cold and dark outside at 5:30 am.

I run early as well around this time. Treadmill is okay for my shorter runs, but long ones, forget about it! lol

Good luck on your race!! :+1:
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Wow, this thread got hairy.

Someone is arguing that the SAD is unhealthy to a bunch of people who don't eat the SAD. Awesome.

I eat around 45% - 50% carbs, have never been overweight, but lost 20 lbs when I hit the upper limit of the healthy weight range and have been maintaining for two years. What does this mean I'm gonna die from?

I'd guess from banging your head on the table too hard too many times before you reach the end of this thread. Concussion anyone?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I have a fairly strict policy of only running if I'm going to enjoy it (other than the short phases I always have to go through when starting up again of 'oh dear god, why do I do this??'). I despise running when it's hot, and I'm pretty sure I would despise running on a treadmill (even if I had access to one). I don't even like road running (though seem to mind it less in my pretty little town than I did in the city). The downside to this is that I will go long periods not running at all, and have to work my way back up. It's actually looking like it will stay overcast today, and not get too hot, so maybe I will run this afternoon :) Gotta burn off that sugar before it kills me!!

Can't having you keeling over on us! Death by Sugar, if only she could have done one last run. lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Can't having you keeling over on us! Death by Sugar, if only she could have done one last run. lol

I'm medically restricted from running. Banned. The sugar is for reals going to get me now isn't it?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

That will teach me to have 300g of watermelon in my (fat free) yoghurt for breakfast!!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I'm medically restricted from running. Banned. The sugar is for reals going to get me now isn't it?

yep. especially if you can't run from it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Weird how the sugar industry paid for studies telling us how bad fat was for us in the 1060's

Weird, is too much sugar why William the Conqueror decided to go after that place across the Channel?

(More seriously, that's a really incomplete and distorted story as to what happened, what a shock.)

FTW!! :p
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

That will teach me to have 300g of watermelon in my (fat free) yoghurt for breakfast!!

You feeling okay? About 18 grams of sugar, if you don't come back I will know you didn't make it.

Oh and you said 'Fat Free'. lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

<sigh>

Once again, sugar =/= carbohydrates.

I thought we'd been over this already.

tumblr_or7nkyjLM51ririjeo1_500.gif

As the old saying goes.....you can't argue with stupid.

and that's why i am not auguring with you

Did you seriously just use the "I'm rubber you're glue" argument?

Only If he'd spelled it right......he's trying to dig holes atm...

No, he's trying to read portents atm . . . .
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Evil Sugar Devil is upon you! So yeah you are done, maybe you have a week!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

You feeling okay? About 18 grams of sugar, if you don't come back I will know you didn't make it.

Oh and you said 'Fat Free'. lol

Funnily, no! But I don't think it's connected to breakfast, since that's what I eat every day. Total sugar consumption was 32g (because naturally occurring sugar in the yoghurt and the milk in my coffee). I'm done for!

Oh and I lied, it's low fat yog, not fat free. I figure given that I usually have a fairly decent amount of avocado for lunch, and halloumi for dinner, I'm good on the fat front.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    thus the Original OPs post was average - what you are talking about are statistical outliers - in general people who eat less carbs - NOT no Carbs but less carbs - will on average be healthier - 40% is too high - the FDA has us eating 75% of our diet Grains Fruit and veg...... too much sugar under those percentages

Tell me, if my protein is adequate, fat adequate, micros being met, what actual, quantifiable harm is the sugar doing to me however I'm eating it?

Inflammation of soft tissue - Insulin sensitivity (High A1C numbers) - heart disease, peripheral neuropathy for starters

Evidence for this? And not one of the spurious links you've already provided.

here is one https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/peripheral-neuropathy-risk-factors-symptoms#1

This article (which is not the same as a study) is about people with diabetes. Do you have any evidence of this being a concern for the majority of the healthy population, or are we talking about those dreaded outliers again?

and pre-diabetic Hig A1C numbers - 40% carbs is too high ---- and will lead to long term inflamation

I am neither diabetic nor pre-diabetic. Carbs and I are good.

Again, A STUDY, an actual link to an actual study, not an article, not you shouting MAYO or anything else.

MAYO!

gj24izh2updi.gif