Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegetarian vs. Vegan vs. Eating meat..to lose weight?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    HowUdish wrote: »
    I'd recommend making sure you understand what you'll eat before making any sort of diet change. There are a variety of ways to look for recipes and dishes at local restaurants you can eat with with a vegetarian or vegan diet. I personally know several people who've gotten good results from switching to a vegan and I know that one of the biggest factors that contributed to their success is cutting out dairy from their diets.

I go "vegan" twice a year for 1.5 months each. My diet is usually dairy heavy and I abruptly and completely stop eating dairy. I have not found any difference in my weight loss when I'm not eating dairy, but I have issues hitting my protein because dairy is my main source for it (I don't have access to high protein vegan alternatives). I also have to watch very carefully not overeat because I try to eat nuts during these months for fat on days I eat "raw" (long story, Eastern Orthodox Lenten rules) and they're very easy to overeat for me - normally I'm very strict with them and don't have them often.

My experience may not represent the vegan or vegetarian experience due to the extra rules and my limited access to vegan sources of protein, but I find it easier to diet when I'm eating everything. When I'm eating strictly plant-based I'm either overeating or undereating and the rollercoaster isn't good for my diet. Dairy helps me keep a stable less stressful calorie deficit.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    RufasO wrote: »
    I have to say to lose a lot of weight quickly, a high meat, no carb diet will be most effective. I have 2 friends that are currently doing it and they are dropping the pounds fast!!! I don’t think it’s great for your body or long lasting, but it definitely works.
    I recently went vegan myself and believe that to be the best diet for long term health. I have been gaining weight due to my hormones, age and recently quitting smoking. Since I’ve gone vegan I feel amazing! It’s refreshing to read food labels and to understand all the ingredients listed! I also love cooking now...lol!

I personally believe, whether you are vegan or a meat eater like yourself, you really should look at it as a lifestyle change. That’s what I’m doing and I can honestly say that I am enjoying it.

For example, now when I sit down to eat, I’m not in front of a TV, or with any distractions. I’m experiencing and appreciating my food more; the flavours, the textures. And I’m eating a lot slower, which of course takes me a little longer to finish my meals...lol!

I hope my advice helps a little.

IF your advice is Dowatchalike, then bravo. Otherwise it's a tangled mess of propaganda.
  • RufasO
    RufasO Posts: 2 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rabbit1295 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel like the responses did answer that question, but... oh, well.

The pros and cons will be different for different people. You need to find the right way for YOU to eat - what fills you up, what tastes good to you, what gives you energy, what weighs you down, what is practical for your lifestyle, what fits with your ethics and priorities. No one can answer that for you. Sounds like bad news, but the good news is you don't have to eat food you don't like to lose weight or be healthy.

A lot of MFP veterans replied to your posts - people who have already lost their weight and are maintaining successfully. And we all have different ideals, activity levels, and lifestyles and all eat pretty different diets.

It's not really a question that I'm asking. I was only curious what people had to say. Especially when you read online and some sites say "go vegan for a healthier lifestyle!" or "why meat is destroying our bodies!" etc. I live in an area where people are vocal about what form of diet or rather lifestyle is better than the rest. (and they get very defensive as well...) I don't know. Was just looking as just trying to make conversation is all. I will always eat meat. I'm just very conscious about where my food comes from. I try to support the local farmers.

Btw..I'm probably going to sound extremely stupid for asking this but..what does MFP stand for?

Maybe it's just me, but I skimmed back over the thread, and I think everyone answered the question you literally asked, and you got responses from committed vegans, vegetarians and omnivores.

Perhaps surprisingly, they mostly agreed with each other: Food preferences or choices make no difference for weight loss, except insofar as they affect satiation, pleasure, convenience and therefore long-term sustainability. Most/all of the responders have been very successful at weight loss, so in that sense maybe it's not surprising we have some common thoughts.

Further, they all seem to feel that the same rules for good nutrition (thus health) apply to all, but with some diets making certain aspects of nutrition something one needs to pay a manageably small bit more attention to in order to achieve good balance.

If you had asked the question you say you really had, about pros and cons of various diets for health and weight loss, I'm not sure I would've even bothered to post. I'm a committed vegetarian - 43+ years, for heaven's sake - but I have no inclination to proselytize, especially not on health or weight loss grounds.

I became vegetarian out of an ethical desire to do less damage. Back in 1974, there was more famine world wide, meat production then and now consumes much more protein than it produces, and I felt like vegetarianism was a step I personally could easily take to reduce the harm my presence in the world was doing.

We in the first world, IMO, are unavoidably each little bundles of planet-wide harm. We can't, in any practical sense, "fix" that. It's not worth being constantly angst-ridden about it, either, since it's pretty unavoidable unless we stop living like a first-worlder, which would be global disaster in other ways if we all did it. But, again IMO, it's good ethics to reduce the harm we do, and it makes practical sense to pick the easier methods (which vary by individual).

I didn't much care for meat, so vegetarianism was easy for me. Other harm-reduction things would be easier for other people, maybe bicycle commuting or joining the Peace Corps or building a net zero energy house . . . I dunno, and don't care. Their problem. (I do other harm-reduction things, too, but they're not relevant here.)

Vegetarianism has cons. One has to pay a little more attention in order to get sound nutrition. It can be socially inconvenient, like handling your non-vegetarian new boss's invitation to dinner at his/her home, or negotiating a good life balance with a non-vegetarian life partner. It can make eating while traveling more difficult, especially in cultures that are more meat-centric and doubly especially those where refusing a proffered food treat can be a major affront.

So, those are the main pros and cons of vegetarianism IMO, none of which have anything to do with health or weight loss, and none of which make me think other people should become vegetarian (unless they want to).

Is that how your friends argue about the merits of their dietary choices? ;)
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel like the responses did answer that question, but... oh, well.

The pros and cons will be different for different people. You need to find the right way for YOU to eat - what fills you up, what tastes good to you, what gives you energy, what weighs you down, what is practical for your lifestyle, what fits with your ethics and priorities. No one can answer that for you. Sounds like bad news, but the good news is you don't have to eat food you don't like to lose weight or be healthy.

A lot of MFP veterans replied to your posts - people who have already lost their weight and are maintaining successfully. And we all have different ideals, activity levels, and lifestyles and all eat pretty different diets.

It's not really a question that I'm asking. I was only curious what people had to say. Especially when you read online and some sites say "go vegan for a healthier lifestyle!" or "why meat is destroying our bodies!" etc. I live in an area where people are vocal about what form of diet or rather lifestyle is better than the rest. (and they get very defensive as well...) I don't know. Was just looking as just trying to make conversation is all. I will always eat meat. I'm just very conscious about where my food comes from. I try to support the local farmers.

Btw..I'm probably going to sound extremely stupid for asking this but..what does MFP stand for?

Maybe it's just me, but I skimmed back over the thread, and I think everyone answered the question you literally asked, and you got responses from committed vegans, vegetarians and omnivores.

Perhaps surprisingly, they mostly agreed with each other: Food preferences or choices make no difference for weight loss, except insofar as they affect satiation, pleasure, convenience and therefore long-term sustainability. Most/all of the responders have been very successful at weight loss, so in that sense maybe it's not surprising we have some common thoughts.

Further, they all seem to feel that the same rules for good nutrition (thus health) apply to all, but with some diets making certain aspects of nutrition something one needs to pay a manageably small bit more attention to in order to achieve good balance.

If you had asked the question you say you really had, about pros and cons of various diets for health and weight loss, I'm not sure I would've even bothered to post. I'm a committed vegetarian - 43+ years, for heaven's sake - but I have no inclination to proselytize, especially not on health or weight loss grounds.

I became vegetarian out of an ethical desire to do less damage. Back in 1974, there was more famine world wide, meat production then and now consumes much more protein than it produces, and I felt like vegetarianism was a step I personally could easily take to reduce the harm my presence in the world was doing.

We in the first world, IMO, are unavoidably each little bundles of planet-wide harm. We can't, in any practical sense, "fix" that. It's not worth being constantly angst-ridden about it, either, since it's pretty unavoidable unless we stop living like a first-worlder, which would be global disaster in other ways if we all did it. But, again IMO, it's good ethics to reduce the harm we do, and it makes practical sense to pick the easier methods (which vary by individual).

I didn't much care for meat, so vegetarianism was easy for me. Other harm-reduction things would be easier for other people, maybe bicycle commuting or joining the Peace Corps or building a net zero energy house . . . I dunno, and don't care. Their problem. (I do other harm-reduction things, too, but they're not relevant here.)

Vegetarianism has cons. One has to pay a little more attention in order to get sound nutrition. It can be socially inconvenient, like handling your non-vegetarian new boss's invitation to dinner at his/her home, or negotiating a good life balance with a non-vegetarian life partner. It can make eating while traveling more difficult, especially in cultures that are more meat-centric and doubly especially those where refusing a proffered food treat can be a major affront.

So, those are the main pros and cons of vegetarianism IMO, none of which have anything to do with health or weight loss, and none of which make me think other people should become vegetarian (unless they want to).

Is that how your friends argue about the merits of their dietary choices? ;)

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2018
    Sorry I decided I didn't really want in the debate!
  • dmz1983
    dmz1983 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi! I would suggest monitoring your calories. You said that you love meat and fish, why avoid it ? There are plenty of health benefits to incorporating moderate portions into your meals. From personal experience (ethics aside), I've had the best success on a diet that includes everything and monitoring my calories. Eliminating food groups w/o ethical or physical health reasons, creates a bounce back effect eventually in most people or an obsession with what you are "missing" out on.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2018
    Heyo! Hope everyone is well :)

Something I've been wondering about. What form of diet do you think is better to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight? I'm really curious about REAL (hopefully unbiased lol) testimonials. Do you have to switch diets and commit to it for the rest of my life or what?

I personally LOVE my meat and fish. Especially ocean caught fish and organic chicken. But let me know what you guys think.

Ha, I've done it all! Paleo to Vegetarian, and everything in between :p None of it has made one bit of difference for my weight. I lost the extra weight/maintain the weight loss regardless of what food plan/fad I follow-my weight is controlled by CICO and making sure I'm hitting my calorie targets. This allows me to experiment with new foods/ways of eating and I have a lot of fun with all of it!