Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

14567810»

Replies

  • LadyKatie_xoLadyKatie_xo Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    Can I use bovine hide collagen?
  • Panini911Panini911 Member Posts: 2,325 Member Member Posts: 2,325 Member
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.
    edited March 2019
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.
  • Safari_GalSafari_Gal Member Posts: 888 Member Member Posts: 888 Member
    Must try this! I guess I need to get whey protein powder...
  • Panini911Panini911 Member Posts: 2,325 Member Member Posts: 2,325 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.

    don't use grease for much of anything and used boxed eggs whites ;)
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 3,768 Member Member Posts: 3,768 Member
    I messed up. And I loved it!
    I usually put this in 2 pans, so it is just 1/2 as thick. Today I only made 1/2. I guess I didn’t have my glasses on, cause I accidentally put the oven on broil instead of bake. It is so crusty and good! Just had 1/2 the pan with frozen yogurt for 91 calories and 12 grams protein. Yum!
    edited September 2019
  • NoHookUpZoneNoHookUpZone Member, Premium Posts: 1,571 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,571 Member
    What is this witchery!
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    I messed up. And I loved it!
    I usually put this in 2 pans, so it is just 1/2 as thick. Today I only made 1/2. I guess I didn’t have my glasses on, cause I accidentally put the oven on broil instead of bake. It is so crusty and good! Just had 1/2 the pan with frozen yogurt for 91 calories and 12 grams protein. Yum!

    Surprised it did not burn lol. Sometimes by messing up, we come up we great ideas.
    Accidently I whipped all the ingredients together and ended up with a "pavlova" kind of lol
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    Trying my best at easy portion control fully knowing that this will gone by the end of the day lol

    3npnj1scr0y8.jpg
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    Why have one when you can have this many fluffy pillows.

    qeh1z2b93vb9.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,522 Member Member Posts: 6,522 Member
    ekwmt2eujtjp.jpg
    cmxrt09n1ool.jpg
    Yes...you inspired my need for some fluffiness 😁...35 calories each photo...not bad for 70 calories in all!
  • oocdc2oocdc2 Member Posts: 1,285 Member Member Posts: 1,285 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.

    don't use grease for much of anything and used boxed eggs whites ;)

    My understanding was boxed egg whites don't whip up as nicely--something about the pasteurization process?

    Though, would xanthan gum help make them fluffy, if they weren't fluffing?
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 3,768 Member Member Posts: 3,768 Member
    There was a long discussion about it earlier. THe outcome seemed to be: if you can get egg whites in a carton that are just egg whites, they will work, but if they have any additives or have been processed, they might not work, so it might be best to just use actual egg whites. I don’t know about xanthum gum. I’ve never used it.
    edited April 25
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.

    don't use grease for much of anything and used boxed eggs whites ;)

    My understanding was boxed egg whites don't whip up as nicely--something about the pasteurization process?

    Though, would xanthan gum help make them fluffy, if they weren't fluffing?

    False. I only use boxed whites. Otherwise you are just wasting egg for no reason.
  • joygrrrljoygrrrl Member, Premium Posts: 19 Member Member, Premium Posts: 19 Member
    This is fabulous!
    Thank you✌️
  • oocdc2oocdc2 Member Posts: 1,285 Member Member Posts: 1,285 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.

    don't use grease for much of anything and used boxed eggs whites ;)

    My understanding was boxed egg whites don't whip up as nicely--something about the pasteurization process?

    Though, would xanthan gum help make them fluffy, if they weren't fluffing?

    False. I only use boxed whites. Otherwise you are just wasting egg for no reason.

    There's always custard--that's what my mom used to do with them. Or, feed them to the dog.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,142 Member Member Posts: 9,142 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i tried and it was a fail :P The egg whites were not forming still white peaks (10mins of beating in) but i decided to try anyway. did not fold in the protein powder nearly enough so while it "looked" ok, it tasted like eating raw protein powder very gross grainy, i tossed it :P i was VERY careful not to overfold given the warnings to...not overfold!

    will try again.

    If you are cracking eggs to get egg whites, make sure no yolk gets into the bowl. None.
    Also, make sure there isnt any grease in the bowl.

    don't use grease for much of anything and used boxed eggs whites ;)

    My understanding was boxed egg whites don't whip up as nicely--something about the pasteurization process?

    Though, would xanthan gum help make them fluffy, if they weren't fluffing?

    False. I only use boxed whites. Otherwise you are just wasting egg for no reason.

    There's always custard--that's what my mom used to do with them. Or, feed them to the dog.

    And you are still wasting perfectly good whole egg feeding them to a dog. And I bet you are not making custard every day.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 565 Member Member Posts: 565 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Last night this protein angel food cake happened because my box of egg whites was about to expire.

    8 egg whites or 1 cup
    15g protein powder or half scoop
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1tsp vanilla extract

    Beat all but protein powder until peaks form.
    Fold in protein powder
    Bake at 350F for 20 min.

    wnlohzhbzs3g.jpg

    Had half this morning with fruit and coffee for breakfast topped with Walden farms syrup.

    Again, catching uphere.... omgosh!
Sign In or Register to comment.