Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

2456710

Replies

  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    piefeck wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the nutrition facts for me :) I <3 Angel Food Cake!!!

    .. totally depends on your protein powder. ALWAYS enter your own ingredients when you make a recipe.

    I've yet to find a protein powder that didn't taste horribly artificial for me so probably won't try this though.
  • saragd012saragd012 Posts: 706Member Member Posts: 706Member Member
    I wonder if this would make a good base for angel food cake french toast. That's one of my spouses favorite breakfasts when we go out to eat, I might have to try to recreate it with this.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I wonder if this would make a good base for angel food cake french toast. That's one of my spouses favorite breakfasts when we go out to eat, I might have to try to recreate it with this.

    I'm guessing you'd have to get the cake very stale for that to work, or it would disintegrate in the batter (I mean, even a regular angel food cake).
  • EHollander89EHollander89 Posts: 163Member Member Posts: 163Member Member
    Definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!
  • melissa6771melissa6771 Posts: 894Member Member Posts: 894Member Member
    This sounds amazing. Wow, definitely adding this to my list of things to make this week. Thank you!
  • lucys1225lucys1225 Posts: 597Member Member Posts: 597Member Member
    I don't use protein powder and the one my son uses has too much sugar for me. Do you think I can you collagen in place of it?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,435Member Member Posts: 7,435Member Member
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I don't use protein powder and the one my son uses has too much sugar for me. Do you think I can you collagen in place of it?

    Nope. Completely different product. You plain flour or coconut flour but then add the same amount of milk of choice.
  • TeaBeaTeaBea Posts: 14,091Member Member Posts: 14,091Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Is that an 8"x8" pan?

    Yes. Spray and smear a bit of oil in it and the cake wont stick either.
    It will rise as it bakes, way over the top of the pan, but then collapse to level with the top of the pan as it cools.

    A couple of thoughts, I've been making scratch angel food cakes for years. Recipes always recommend ungreased......everything.

    Re: Sticking to the pan and collapsing. If you didn't spray the pan with oil the cake would stick to the pan. If your cake sticks to the pan, you can cool it upside down. If you cool it upside down....there will be no collapsing. Not sure how you "hang" an 8# square pan, but if you have the kind of pan with handles on two sides, it should be fairly easy.

    Having the cake stick to the pan would be a pain, but it might result in a lighter texture. Homemade angel cake is devine.

    Half almond extract/half vanilla is yummy!

    edited February 2018
  • yayamom3yayamom3 Posts: 885Member Member Posts: 885Member Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Is that an 8"x8" pan?

    Yes. Spray and smear a bit of oil in it and the cake wont stick either.
    It will rise as it bakes, way over the top of the pan, but then collapse to level with the top of the pan as it cools.

    A couple of thoughts, I've been making scratch angel food cakes for years. Recipes always recommend ungreased......everything.

    Re: Sticking to the pan and collapsing. If you didn't spray the pan with oil the cake would stick to the pan. If your cake sticks to the pan, you can cool it upside down. If you cool it upside down....there will be no collapsing. Not sure how you "hang" an 8# square pan, but if you have the kind of pan with handles on two sides, it should be fairly easy.

    Having the cake stick to the pan would be a pain, but it might result in a lighter texture. Homemade angel cake is devine.

    Half almond extract/half vanilla is yummy!

    I did not spray the pan, bc I know an angel food cake won’t rise if you do. And I also turned my pan upside down while it cooled. It collapsed anyway, plus the pan was an absolute stuck-on mess. I will def grease the pan next time. As I said above, I didn’t find this a good angel food substitute, but I did enjoy eating it.
  • TeaBeaTeaBea Posts: 14,091Member Member Posts: 14,091Member Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Is that an 8"x8" pan?

    Yes. Spray and smear a bit of oil in it and the cake wont stick either.
    It will rise as it bakes, way over the top of the pan, but then collapse to level with the top of the pan as it cools.

    A couple of thoughts, I've been making scratch angel food cakes for years. Recipes always recommend ungreased......everything.

    Re: Sticking to the pan and collapsing. If you didn't spray the pan with oil the cake would stick to the pan. If your cake sticks to the pan, you can cool it upside down. If you cool it upside down....there will be no collapsing. Not sure how you "hang" an 8# square pan, but if you have the kind of pan with handles on two sides, it should be fairly easy.

    Having the cake stick to the pan would be a pain, but it might result in a lighter texture. Homemade angel cake is devine.

    Half almond extract/half vanilla is yummy!

    I did not spray the pan, bc I know an angel food cake won’t rise if you do. And I also turned my pan upside down while it cooled. It collapsed anyway, plus the pan was an absolute stuck-on mess. I will def grease the pan next time. As I said above, I didn’t find this a good angel food substitute, but I did enjoy eating it.

    Ugh, I had a (real) angel food cake collapse once.....maybe it was old cream of tartar. Anyway, the denseness of it turned me off. Angel food cakes are supposed to be light and airy. A (real) scratch angel food cake should have a light, tender texture, better than any box mix.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,902Member Member Posts: 2,902Member Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Is that an 8"x8" pan?

    Yes. Spray and smear a bit of oil in it and the cake wont stick either.
    It will rise as it bakes, way over the top of the pan, but then collapse to level with the top of the pan as it cools.

    A couple of thoughts, I've been making scratch angel food cakes for years. Recipes always recommend ungreased......everything.

    Re: Sticking to the pan and collapsing. If you didn't spray the pan with oil the cake would stick to the pan. If your cake sticks to the pan, you can cool it upside down. If you cool it upside down....there will be no collapsing. Not sure how you "hang" an 8# square pan, but if you have the kind of pan with handles on two sides, it should be fairly easy.

    Having the cake stick to the pan would be a pain, but it might result in a lighter texture. Homemade angel cake is devine.

    Half almond extract/half vanilla is yummy!

    What about using parchment paper instead of oil, do you think that it would work?

    Edit to clarify that I am not a baker so I have no experience in what works or not in the baking process.
    edited February 2018
  • graysmom2005graysmom2005 Posts: 1,884Member Member Posts: 1,884Member Member
    Making this!
  • igsalemigsalem Posts: 68Member Member Posts: 68Member Member
  • mom23mangosmom23mangos Posts: 2,859Member Member Posts: 2,859Member Member
    Made it last night. Used my lemonade flavored protein powder and lemon juice instead of vanilla. Came out with a nice lemon flavor. Ate (or tried to) with mashed blackberries on top. The taste was fine...I just have texture issues and couldn't really get much of it down. It was just too airy/grainy for me. Plus the blackberry juice made it somewhat mushy too. But that's my own personal food hangups. I think I'd just prefer to eat my eggs scrambled.
  • bbell1985bbell1985 Posts: 4,582Member Member Posts: 4,582Member Member
    Making this tonight. I've followed the protein cheesecake thread but that one looks like a pain for me. I'd eat the whole thing. This I actually CAN eat the whole thing. I might try a little more protein powder.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,902Member Member Posts: 2,902Member Member
    @crazyravr
    Did you separate the egg-whites from the eggs or did you use the packaged egg whites? I am asking because my mix didn't peak after beating, and I don't know if I didn't beat the mix enough or it is because I used Kirkland real egg-whites.
  • ElvenToadElvenToad Posts: 644Member Member Posts: 644Member Member
    I made it using carton egg whites at room temperature and I got peaks to form. I'm pretty sure your supposed to use shelled eggs whites though because after baking for 20 minutes it was as flat as a pancake. I did spray my pan though and the cake still stuck to it. I really must have done everything wrong because I thought it was so bad I couldn't eat it :#
Sign In or Register to comment.