Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

Replies

• MelodiousMermaidMelodiousMermaid Posts: 160Member Member Posts: 160Member Member
    I tried this today, but it was a flop re: angel food cake. In retrospect, I believe my issues were two-fold.

First, my shake mix is pure hemp protein powder. No sugar, no additives. I'm guessing the extra stuff that comes in conventional protein shake mixes might make a difference?

Second, other ingredient issues. I used cool egg whites (real eggs, separated) from the refrigerator, not left to warm for any reasonable period of time. Peaks did form while beating, and the initial look coming out of the oven was a raised product, but it flopped really fast and was pretty darn flat. I also added in 1 tsp honey and changed the vanilla to 1 Tbsp. This is why I am not a scientist. :p

It did, however, give me hope that I might enjoy something "pancake" like while I'm on a Dr.-restricted diet. It was pretty decent with some thawed blueberries on top, I might try making the batter, slowly mixing in the hemp protein powder, and frying up a dollop at a time. Any thoughts to share on this (especially regarding where I went wrong) would be appreciated!
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,898Member Member Posts: 2,898Member Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    I made it using carton egg whites at room temperature and I got peaks to form. I'm pretty sure your supposed to use shelled eggs whites though because after baking for 20 minutes it was as flat as a pancake. I did spray my pan though and the cake still stuck to it. I really must have done everything wrong because I thought it was so bad I couldn't eat it :#

Mine didn't peak but the egg-whites were cold, so maybe that was the problem. It did stick to the pan too, but I used a glass/pirex one instead of the baking pan (it was too big for the mix), and the end product was flat as a pancake too. It was also too sweet for me because I added, by mistake, too much vanilla extract. I shared the "stuff" with my husband topped with Redi-whip, and he liked ;) but that man can eat anything. And I suck at baking.

• stljamstljam Posts: 286Member Member Posts: 286Member Member
    Ruh roh. How am I going to decide between cheesecake and angel food cake?

edited February 2018
  • stljamstljam Posts: 286Member Member Posts: 286Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    piefeck wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the nutrition facts for me :) I <3 Angel Food Cake!!!

For the WHOLE thing as is.

Nutrition Facts

Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 185
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 1 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg 5 %
    Sodium 487 mg 20 %
    Potassium 851 mg 24 %
    Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 2 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 37 g 73 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Iron 2 %

Nice 2 to 1 protein to carb ratio. love the potassium count too. This is spectacular. Thanks so much.
  • abirdintherainabirdintherain Posts: 73Member Member Posts: 73Member Member
    Ohh mann this looks good! Might have to pick up some egg whites just to try this - I actually have cream of tartar for some reason, I've never used the stuff, though.
  • erickirberickirb Posts: 12,368Member Member Posts: 12,368Member Member
    stljam wrote: »
    piefeck wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the nutrition facts for me :) I <3 Angel Food Cake!!!

For the WHOLE thing as is.

Nutrition Facts

Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 185
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 1 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg 5 %
    Sodium 487 mg 20 %
    Potassium 851 mg 24 %
    Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 2 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 37 g 73 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Iron 2 %

Nice 2 to 1 protein to carb ratio. love the potassium count too. This is spectacular. Thanks so much.

2:1 protein to carb? it look more like 9:1 to me (37:4), or is the 2:1 the cheesecake you referred to?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,409Member Member Posts: 7,409Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @crazyravr
    Did you separate the egg-whites from the eggs or did you use the packaged egg whites? I am asking because my mix didn't peak after beating, and I don't know if I didn't beat the mix enough or it is because I used Kirkland real egg-whites.

If you read the very first post, it has all the ingredients and the instructions. I used pasteurized egg whites from a carton. These are what I always buy and use when a recipe calls for egg whites. No way am I destroying whole eggs for something like this. My thoughts is that you did not whip them long enough. You should have a kitchen aid bowl fill of the beaten egg whites with very firm, stiff peaks.

3701572.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png
    I made it using carton egg whites at room temperature and I got peaks to form. I'm pretty sure your supposed to use shelled eggs whites though because after baking for 20 minutes it was as flat as a pancake. I did spray my pan though and the cake still stuck to it. I really must have done everything wrong because I thought it was so bad I couldn't eat it :#

If it doesnt look like the one in picture, not 2" tall and has weird grainy texture, you did something wrong for sure.
    Made it last night. Used my lemonade flavored protein powder and lemon juice instead of vanilla. Came out with a nice lemon flavor. Ate (or tried to) with mashed blackberries on top. The taste was fine...I just have texture issues and couldn't really get much of it down. It was just too airy/grainy for me. Plus the blackberry juice made it somewhat mushy too. But that's my own personal food hangups. I think I'd just prefer to eat my eggs scrambled.

So really you did not make this recipe, did you hahaha :)
  • ElvenToadElvenToad Posts: 644Member Member Posts: 644Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Mine didn't peak but the egg-whites were cold, so maybe that was the problem. It did stick to the pan too, but I used a glass/pirex one instead of the baking pan (it was too big for the mix), and the end product was flat as a pancake too. It was also too sweet for me because I added, by mistake, too much vanilla extract. I shared the "stuff" with my husband topped with Redi-whip, and he liked ;) but that man can eat anything. And I suck at baking.

Might be, I had no problem getting the peaks to form, filling up a huge mixing bowl. Same result though, egg pancake. I even made sure my cream of tartar wasn't old and expired so I have no clue. Hey at least your husband liked it!
  • ElvenToadElvenToad Posts: 644Member Member Posts: 644Member Member

If it doesnt look like the one in picture, not 2" tall and has weird grainy texture, you did something wrong for sure.

I even watched 3 different youtube videos on how to make it, pretty sure I did everything right but maybe not :D
  • MostlyWaterMostlyWater Posts: 4,105Member Member Posts: 4,105Member Member
    thank you !!!
  • lucyricky2lucyricky2 Posts: 416Member Member Posts: 416Member Member
    thanks for reposting i am going to try it. have to remember to get egg whites to room temp and oil pan.. there was a previous post on using parchment paper.. Did anyone try it
  • lucyricky2lucyricky2 Posts: 416Member Member Posts: 416Member Member
    also which brand of protein powder does everyone use??
  • mom23mangosmom23mangos Posts: 2,858Member Member Posts: 2,858Member Member
    Made it last night. Used my lemonade flavored protein powder and lemon juice instead of vanilla. Came out with a nice lemon flavor. Ate (or tried to) with mashed blackberries on top. The taste was fine...I just have texture issues and couldn't really get much of it down. It was just too airy/grainy for me. Plus the blackberry juice made it somewhat mushy too. But that's my own personal food hangups. I think I'd just prefer to eat my eggs scrambled.

So really you did not make this recipe, did you hahaha :)

It looked pretty at least.
    Yeap, but thats not what it "should" look like :)
    lucyricky2 wrote: »
    also which brand of protein powder does everyone use??

I always use something from Canada Protein. Get it online, many sample packs and find what you like.
    Also, you dont have to bring the egg whites to room temp, and parchment paper will ensure that nothing sticks.
  • jessicagreen1828jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133Member Member Posts: 133Member Member
    How many grams of sugar does your protein powder have? My powder has 2g sugars per 30g scoop. I seriously should’ve added sugar, because all I tasted was cream of tartar hahaha. Any tips on how to finish eating this? ;) and suggestions on amount/kind of sugar needed to make edible? (I can’t eat sucralose or stevia etc. due to headaches and other side effects). The texture is delightful, btw! I can’t wait to try this again!
    edited February 2018
  • leeshultsleeshults Posts: 223Member Member Posts: 223Member Member
    185 Calories for the WHOLE THING?? I'm in.....
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,898Member Member Posts: 2,898Member Member
    How many grams of sugar does your protein powder have? My powder has 2g sugars per 30g scoop. I seriously should’ve added sugar, because all I tasted was cream of tartar hahaha. Any tips on how to finish eating this? ;) and suggestions on amount/kind of sugar needed to make edible? (I can’t eat sucralose or stevia etc. due to headaches and other side effects). The texture is delightful, btw! I can’t wait to try this again!

Did you add the vanilla extract? Add some more if it wans't sweet enough.