Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

Replies

• jessicagreen1828jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133Member Member Posts: 133Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    How many grams of sugar does your protein powder have? My powder has 2g sugars per 30g scoop. I seriously should’ve added sugar, because all I tasted was cream of tartar hahaha. Any tips on how to finish eating this? ;) and suggestions on amount/kind of sugar needed to make edible? (I can’t eat sucralose or stevia etc. due to headaches and other side effects). The texture is delightful, btw! I can’t wait to try this again!

Did you add the vanilla extract? Add some more if it wans't sweet enough.

Yep, I added the vanilla extract

• PattyF58PattyF58 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I'm curious what brand of protein powder you use? I have Quest all purpose and its unflavored, but I could always add extra vanilla extract I suppose.
  • zilkahzilkah Posts: 209Member Member Posts: 209Member Member
    I am so trying this tomorrow. I am also convinced most did not make the stiff peaks properly, that's a pain in the *kitten* to do, try again :D will post with results
    Also this guy's cheesecake is the best . Try that one too !!!
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,454Member Member Posts: 7,454Member Member
    zilkah wrote: »
    I am so trying this tomorrow. I am also convinced most did not make the stiff peaks properly, that's a pain in the *kitten* to do, try again :D will post with results

Like I said, if your egg white do not fill up the entire Kitchen Aid mixer bowl when done beating, you are doing something wrong. Let me know how it goes.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,905Member Member Posts: 2,905Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    zilkah wrote: »

Like I said, if your egg white do not fill up the entire Kitchen Aid mixer bowl when done beating, you are doing something wrong. Let me know how it goes.

I found the problem! I don't have one of those o:). I used an old hand beater, so maybe next time I will use the hand-held blender.
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 2,687Member Member Posts: 2,687Member Member
    @PattyF58 i made one once and used unflavored whey isolate. I did add sugar, don't remember how much, seems like maybe 1 tablespoon. Tasted a LOT like regular angel food.
  • stljamstljam Posts: 286Member Member Posts: 286Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    2:1 protein to carb? it look more like 9:1 to me (37:4), or is the 2:1 the cheesecake you referred to?

Franking typo. Trying to do too many things at once after working 13 hour days. Sorry.

• Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    Ok. I think I know what you guys are doing wrong. I just saw it after I saw my sister making it.
    Here it is.

Gently, very very gently fold in the protein powder in the last step. Do not just stir it in or the egg whites will loose the volume and you will end up with a flat pancake or egg white omelet. So gently fold the protein powder and once you see that the mix is loosing volume, stop and dump into your pan and bake.

That's pretty much the rule for any kind of cake that uses beaten egg whites if you don't want it flat and dense.
  • jessicagreen1828jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133Member Member Posts: 133Member Member
    PattyF58 wrote: »
    I'm curious what brand of protein powder you use? I have Quest all purpose and its unflavored, but I could always add extra vanilla extract I suppose.

I used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey vanilla ice cream flavor.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok. I think I know what you guys are doing wrong. I just saw it after I saw my sister making it.
    Here it is.

Gently, very very gently fold in the protein powder in the last step. Do not just stir it in or the egg whites will loose the volume and you will end up with a flat pancake or egg white omelet. So gently fold the protein powder and once you see that the mix is loosing volume, stop and dump into your pan and bake.

That's pretty much the rule for any kind of cake that uses beaten egg whites if you don't want it flat and dense.

Yeap. To you and I it might be obvious, but to my sister and i bet many other, it was / is not.
  • spazztazzticspazztazztic Posts: 39Member Member Posts: 39Member Member
    What size kitchenaid do you have? Mine is a 6qt bowl
    What size kitchenaid do you have? Mine is a 6qt bowl

Same here. Mine is about 6 years old I think.
    I started to make this but had a problem folding the protein in because mine started to clump , as I kept folding to try to work out the clumps gently I started to lose my volume. I'm thinking I need to sprinkle it carefully in .
  • apiro16apiro16 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Do you use plain protein powder? Can you use a flavored one such as chocolate?!
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    goatg wrote: »
    This is going down on my next off day. Or next Sunday (traveling this weekend).
    Looks amazing.

ps,
    No judgment but how can you eat so clean and then consume walden farms?! When I really get into training and clean eating, my body senses and rejects all artificial sweeteners. Lucky, I guess?

You do realize that there are artificial sweeteners in pretty much all protein powders too, right? That's why I stopped using them, I just don't like the taste.
  • goatggoatg Posts: 1,081Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,081Member, Premium Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    This is going down on my next off day. Or next Sunday (traveling this weekend).
    Looks amazing.

ps,
    No judgment but how can you eat so clean and then consume walden farms?! When I really get into training and clean eating, my body senses and rejects all artificial sweeteners. Lucky, I guess?

You do realize that there are artificial sweeteners in pretty much all protein powders too, right? That's why I stopped using them, I just don't like the taste.

You're so right. I've started using collagen more but I have 3 tubs of isopure left over from the good ole days and I do relish a banana-chocolate isopure-almond milk shake, admittedly. Granted, I usually only use it in a 4:1 or 3:1 carb:protein ratio lately, so it's not as noticeable.

Occasionally I'll also buy a prepackaged tea that has a little monk fruit too, but I can usually taste that.

What do you use now?