Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

Replies

• mybigfatmybigfat Posts: 162Member Member Posts: 162Member Member
    That is awesome
  • DamienAngelicaDamienAngelica Posts: 281Member Member Posts: 281Member Member
    I made one this morning with egg whites from a carton. I poured out what I needed into my mixing bowl and let it sit for two hours to bring it to room temp. I used a hand mixer this time instead of beating the egg whites by hand.

I ate it topped with apples, raisins, and cinnamon I cooked together in the microwave. It was fantastic, and I ate the whole thing!
  • JaydedMissJaydedMiss Posts: 4,297Member Member Posts: 4,297Member Member
    I made one this morning with egg whites from a carton. I poured out what I needed into my mixing bowl and let it sit for two hours to bring it to room temp. I used a hand mixer this time instead of beating the egg whites by hand.

I ate it topped with apples, raisins, and cinnamon I cooked together in the microwave. It was fantastic, and I ate the whole thing!

I was told and listened for months that cartoned dont work, They so do. And even as little as liek 10 mins to cool down works just fine for me. To be safe i use a large bowl and just put it in warm water for 10 mins. Saves alot of time. 2 hours is definatly not necessary though
    Good to know, thank you! I poured them out, had coffee, practiced yoga, and took a shower so the wait wasn't a problem today.
    edited April 2018
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,428Member Member Posts: 7,428Member Member
    I dont even wait for them to warm up and they still work. I just start beating them on slow for couple minutes until foamy, and then let it rip full speed.
    Thank you for the info @crazyravr . I'm not a baker at all, so forgive me if this is an obviously answered question, but do you think it would still bake well if you dropped blueberries into the cake after you put it into the pan (but before cooking)?
    edited April 2018
    Thank you for the info @crazyravr . I'm not a baker at all, so forgive me if this is an obviously answered question, but do you think it would still bake well if you dropped blueberries into the cake after you put it into the pan (but before cooking)?

Nope. They will sink to the bottom and the mix will not rise as much. Add blueberries after its cooked on top. Maybe even make a quick blueberry jam (heat blueberries on the stove top, with a bit of water and mush them).
    crazyravr wrote: »

Nope. They will sink to the bottom and the mix will not rise as much. Add blueberries after its cooked on top. Maybe even make a quick blueberry jam (heat blueberries on the stove top, with a bit of water and mush them).

Thank you kindly!
  • hgyctahgycta Posts: 2,960Member Member Posts: 2,960Member Member
    First cheesecake and now this? Seriously, take all your recipes, put them in a cookbook, and sell it to me. I'll write you a check, send you cash, pay with a card, send a transfer on Paypal, whichever you want. I need these all in one convenient place that I'll never lose!
    hgycta wrote: »
    First cheesecake and now this? Seriously, take all your recipes, put them in a cookbook, and sell it to me. I'll write you a check, send you cash, pay with a card, send a transfer on Paypal, whichever you want. I need these all in one convenient place that I'll never lose!

No you wouldnt. No one would. Not in the days of google :)
    edited April 2018
  • hgyctahgycta Posts: 2,960Member Member Posts: 2,960Member Member
    hgycta wrote: »

No you wouldnt. No one would. Not in the days of google :)

You'd be surprised! In the days of self publishing on Amazon what have you got to lose? Try me :p
  • Jacky2011Jacky2011 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    "Box of Egg Whites" Do you mean carton of liquid egg whites? I always heard that the whites in the carton don't whip up like regular whites from whole eggs!? Did you use whites from the carton or regular eggs? Yum!
    I would never waste food like this. Eggs whites from the box. Posted about this before. Look through the pages.
  • salleewinssalleewins Posts: 739Member Member Posts: 739Member Member
    Awesome treat! Thanks for sharing! You make great recipes!
    salleewins wrote: »
    Awesome treat! Thanks for sharing! You make great recipes!

Thanx.
    Bumping this cause many are looking / asking for the thread.
  • travelling_lotstravelling_lots Posts: 378Member Member Posts: 378Member Member
    Last night this protein angel food cake happened because my box of egg whites was about to expire.

8 egg whites or 1 cup
    15g protein powder or half scoop
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1tsp vanilla extract

Beat all but protein powder until peaks form.
    Fold in protein powder
    Bake at 350F for 20 min.

wnlohzhbzs3g.jpg

Had half this morning with fruit and coffee for breakfast topped with Walden farms syrup.

Thanks for receipt. And reminding me I have egg whites ready to expire as well. 😟
  • travelling_lotstravelling_lots Posts: 378Member Member Posts: 378Member Member
    It looks delicious. Thanks
  • raymax4raymax4 Posts: 6,024Member, Premium Member Posts: 6,024Member, Premium Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @crazyravr
    Did you separate the egg-whites from the eggs or did you use the packaged egg whites? I am asking because my mix didn't peak after beating, and I don't know if I didn't beat the mix enough or it is because I used Kirkland real egg-whites.

If you read the very first post, it has all the ingredients and the instructions. I used pasteurized egg whites from a carton. These are what I always buy and use when a recipe calls for egg whites. No way am I destroying whole eggs for something like this. My thoughts is that you did not whip them long enough. You should have a kitchen aid bowl fill of the beaten egg whites with very firm, stiff peaks.

3701572.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png
    I just fount this thread, I was just reading about using whole eggs and was thinking through things that use a lot of egg yokes
    Lemon curd, Disaster to my diet because it keep coming back and eating it
    German chocolate icing that would be worse
    and
    home made egg noodles, chicken noodle soup, a possibility

I think most of the time a carton of egg whites would be much easier.

If I used lemon instead of cream of tarter would it have a lemony flavor. does it work as well as cream of tarter?
    raymax4 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @crazyravr
    Did you separate the egg-whites from the eggs or did you use the packaged egg whites? I am asking because my mix didn't peak after beating, and I don't know if I didn't beat the mix enough or it is because I used Kirkland real egg-whites.

If you read the very first post, it has all the ingredients and the instructions. I used pasteurized egg whites from a carton. These are what I always buy and use when a recipe calls for egg whites. No way am I destroying whole eggs for something like this. My thoughts is that you did not whip them long enough. You should have a kitchen aid bowl fill of the beaten egg whites with very firm, stiff peaks.

3701572.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png
    I just fount this thread, I was just reading about using whole eggs and was thinking through things that use a lot of egg yokes
    Lemon curd, Disaster to my diet because it keep coming back and eating it
    German chocolate icing that would be worse
    and
    home made egg noodles, chicken noodle soup, a possibility

I think most of the time a carton of egg whites would be much easier.

If I used lemon instead of cream of tarter would it have a lemony flavor. does it work as well as cream of tarter?

No idea. You would get the lemon taste for sure from a lemon, duh, but here the cot is used as a stabilizer.