Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Protein angel food cake. Make it.

Replies

• just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,206 Member Member Posts: 9,206 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

Buy and use whatever is cheapest. Its all the same stuff (fat and calorie content will differ). Thats about it. Also, I hope you are using this in a cheesecake and not here lol if you make V2.0 of the cheesecake, there is no need for cream cheese at all, problem solved.

Yeah, I guess I went off topic a bit LOL

yep, I'm making the cheesecake...with the cream cheese!

the angel food cake is next - just picked up a carton of egg whites at Sobeys!

Let me know how it goes. If anything pop by for a free and delish see and learn :)
    Also make sure that what you bought are just egg whites and not one of them egg beater mixes.
    edited August 2018
  • FoodfavorFoodfavor Member Posts: 94 Member Member Posts: 94 Member
    I made this last night and it was good but I think I did something wrong. It rose and deflated like I thought, but when I ate it the top was nice and airy, but the bottom was very thick and rubbery, like an eraser. Any ideas?
  • teresa5103teresa5103 Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    Last night this protein angel food cake happened because my box of egg whites was about to expire.

8 egg whites or 1 cup
    15g protein powder or half scoop
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1tsp vanilla extract

Beat all but protein powder until peaks form.
    Fold in protein powder
    Bake at 350F for 20 min.

wnlohzhbzs3g.jpg

Had half this morning with fruit and coffee for breakfast topped with Walden farms syrup.

Looks divine!
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    I made this last night and it was good but I think I did something wrong. It rose and deflated like I thought, but when I ate it the top was nice and airy, but the bottom was very thick and rubbery, like an eraser. Any ideas?

Did you mix anything else into it?
    Did you line the pan or use a spray?
    Did you follow my directions / instructions and ingredients?

I did not mix anything else into it
    I used vegetable oil to grease the pan (glass not metal)
    I THOUGHT I followed your directions... I put everything but the PP into the bowl and mixed it until stiff. I then gentally folded in the PP and when I thought the mixture was starting to get soft I put it in the dish and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes.

I do not have a stand mixer so used an electric hand mixer. Maybe I could have done longer but I wasn't noticing any more volume being added.

I feel silly. I'm not a baker, but I want to do right by you and your recipe! :tongue:

I THOUGHT I followed your directions... I put everything but the PP into the bowl and mixed it until stiff. I then gentally folded in the PP and when I thought the mixture was starting to get soft I put it in the dish and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes.

I do not have a stand mixer so used an electric hand mixer. Maybe I could have done longer but I wasn't noticing any more volume being added.

I feel silly. I'm not a baker, but I want to do right by you and your recipe! :tongue:

Then I have no idea. Maybe your oven does not bake at the temps indicated? Try to bake it for 5-10 minutes longer or increase the temp to 375F maybe? You will be shocked at how various ovens vary in baking temps.

Then I have no idea. Maybe your oven does not bake at the temps indicated? Try to bake it for 5-10 minutes longer or increase the temp to 375F maybe? You will be shocked at how various ovens vary in baking temps.

Will do! Thank you for your help.
  • TheFlyOnTheWallTheFlyOnTheWall Member Posts: 61 Member Member Posts: 61 Member

Let me know how it goes. If anything pop by for a free and delish see and learn :)
    Also make sure that what you bought are just egg whites and not one of them egg beater mixes.

Well this was all sorts of awesome! I used Quest Vanilla Milk Shake protein powder - and I baked it in a gas convection oven

6xvizad0rgbj.jpg

8z5qo3m6ni3r.jpg

d358f57q1oru.jpg

edited August 2018

Well this was all sorts of awesome! I used Quest Vanilla Milk Shake protein powder - and I baked it in a gas convection oven

6xvizad0rgbj.jpg

8z5qo3m6ni3r.jpg

d358f57q1oru.jpg

Exactly how my looks like. Outstanding.
  • butters1butters1 Member Posts: 1,557 Member Member Posts: 1,557 Member
    i need to try this. thanks!
  • VeryKatieVeryKatie Member Posts: 5,591 Member Member Posts: 5,591 Member
    Hmm... 15g of additional protein split into 6 pieces? 2.5 g extra protein per slice... is... nearly negligible... no? Though... to be fair... I guess most would cut it larger haha.
    edited September 2018
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Hmm... 15g of additional protein split into 6 pieces? 2.5 g extra protein per slice... is... nearly negligible... no? Though... to be fair... I guess most would cut it larger haha.

What?

You do realize this is one serving portion no?
  • Jenneke0269Jenneke0269 Member Posts: 28 Member Member Posts: 28 Member

It's 15g of protein powder by mass, not 15g of protein. The amount of protein you get depends on the protein powder you use.

@crazyravr How does this work with casein powder instead of whey?

It's 15g of protein powder by mass, not 15g of protein. The amount of protein you get depends on the protein powder you use.

@crazyravr How does this work with casein powder instead of whey?

No difference at all. I use whatvever on hand.
  • anetkastefaniakanetkastefaniak Member Posts: 45 Member Member Posts: 45 Member
    How long should I allow this to cool before I refrigerate? Maybe 30 minutes?
    Also do you have any favourite topping suggestions other than fruit and walden farms syrups?
    Would like some inspiration :)
    Also do you have any favourite topping suggestions other than fruit and walden farms syrups?

You can eat as soon as its done baking.
    You can top with the protein frosting recipe I posted in the cheesecake thread, or honey blended with cottage cheese etc.
  • RomaineCalmRomaineCalm Member Posts: 3,972 Member Member Posts: 3,972 Member

You can eat as soon as its done baking.
    You can top with the protein frosting recipe I posted in the cheesecake thread, or honey blended with cottage cheese etc.

I think I'll try this over the weekend!
  • anetkastefaniakanetkastefaniak Member Posts: 45 Member Member Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for the topping suggestions, I will definitely try those.
    edited January 2019
    Anetka, Polish? So am I.