• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited February 2018
    eeek posting malfunction!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is just like marketing where 60% of the product is made with natural, organic ingredients. Sort of like 60% vegetarian and 25% ketogenic.

In fact, I too was 100% vegan during one meal yesterday!

Does it count as vegan if your food was a vegan?

I joke of course!

You bring to mind humanitarians :lol:

I like them even more than I like vegetarians :wink:

And I do always wonder what they eat!!!

• PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    Was it oreos? Fess up. :D

I see my cookie monster reputation...

670g of rutabaga/swede mashed with 13.5g of table sugar! (273 Cal, ~64g Carb, 1g fat, ~6.5g protein, ~14g fiber)

The 50g of honey graham cookies/crackers, which based on the ingredients look vegan too, came later in the evening ;-) (OK as logged 41.67g of cookies for 183 Cal, because a certain Skylar got her 16.67% tax) :lol:

actually whey/milk/yogurt were the only animal products consumed...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Aw, Skylar is such a good girl helping you out like that!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited February 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Was it oreos? Fess up. :D

I see my cookie monster reputation...

670g of rutabaga/swede mashed with 13.5g of table sugar! (273 Cal, ~64g Carb, 1g fat, ~6.5g protein, ~14g fiber)

The 50g of honey graham cookies/crackers, which based on the ingredients look vegan too, came later in the evening ;-) (OK as logged 41.67g of cookies for 183 Cal, because a certain Skylar got her 16.67% tax) :lol:

actually whey/milk/yogurt were the only animal products consumed...

Sorry to burst your ~25% vegan bubble, but don't honey graham cookies/crackers have . . . honey? (ETA: I could be wrong, though. I bought some fantastic "bacon" habanero tortilla chips the other day, and they definitely didn't include actual bacon flavor.)

OP, I agree with the regular, reliable posters. I would definitely start with taking a diet break. I won't repeat all recommendations, but just say I'd follow kimny72's advice right above.

And, I have found my fitbit to be very reliable. I think I will have used a fitbit for three years come April or so.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your ~25% vegan bubble, but don't honey graham cookies/crackers have . . . honey?

Nah, my vegan cookie bubble is truly and fully busted!
    Honey.
    I guess them Bees ain't vegetables!
    Who would have thunk it! :disappointed:

As to the rest of it, me thinks that this here @kimny72 keeps showing a remarkable knack for common sense! :love: :blush:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    jennygutt wrote: »
    jennygutt wrote: »
    I'm with PAV8888 on this because even if you're not using a food scale and not tracking some things and even if your Fitbit is off (I really wish people would stop pushing this narrative, because a lot of us find them perfectly reliable), you have quite a disparity going.

I get 30K steps a day and know from scale performance just how many calories that can burn, and I weigh less than you, OP. Granted, most of mine are at brisk pace, I don't know what pace your are at and that can affect your burns.

Saying that, we're still talking margins here where you should be in a deficit, and that is my main point. Even with inaccurate logging and possibly less than ideal reporting from the Fitbit, you are still in a deficit, so something else is at play here.

I strongly suspect that you have been eating at deficit too long and are experiencing hormone downregulation and also experiencing water retention from increased activity and raised cortisol.

I also recommend taking a 2 week diet break while eating at maintenance calorie levels, and I recommend that you read the diet breaks thread.

Finally! Lolthank you that's what I was trying to say I didn't know how to say... Even if my fitbit's saying a little more and my calories is a little more I would still been at of deficit... even if ibwas actually eating 1400 instead of 1000 cals and only burning 2500 a day instead of 3500 i am still at a deficit....but i plan to eat a little more and weigh and track hope to see some results.

That doesn't make sense to me. Op was not weighing her food so she didn't have an idea of how much she was actually consuming she thought she was consuming 1,000, but that wasn't true. I think op consuming the calories MFP suggests and actually using a food scale will benefit her a lot. I think the mentality that she was not eating enough is not accurate because she was in fact eating more than a thousand calories. Not to say if op actually was eating that much calories if she was using a food scale would've been a good idea because it's not.

Well you are correct I was not weighing my food I'm still not convinced I was eating more than a thousand calories. I know you don't know me and it's impossible for you to know this but I am OCD and very strict and very particular. If a package is listening had 16 crackers is 120 calories out literally counted out 16 crackers. I did not skimp on things. As a matter of fact I usually over estimated to be safe. If I got two tablespoons of sour cream I usually with track three to make sure I didn't go over. I always overestimate instead of under. And the only way you would really know and could take my word for that is if you knew me at all people that know me know 100% that I mean that but it's true I really do.

But with that being said I am loving the scale weighing ideal I'm looking forward to be more precise and knowing exactly what I'm eating

Love, if you are able to understand German I could show you a thread in another forum that I started some 5 years ago. I said that I was only eating about 1000kcal and that it's so strange that I'm gaining weight. Guess what: I was not. I was eating more than twice that amount, based on the weight I gained between that post and being at my maximum weight (75kg, 169cm). It's so easy to get it completely wrong.

The point is that it's not a generalized narrative that "Fitbits are off". You can track them to real world results and find if you're an outlier and calibrate them as needed.

It's the offhanded comment that I find unnecessary and often unhelpful. Again, it's too generalized. There are a great many of us who find them useful because we know how to work with them.

It's also generalized to conflate exercise burns based on one's own experience with another person's experience (even though I did that in this thread to demonstrate that OP's burns weren't out of the realm of possibility) because burns are dependent on a lot of different mitigating factors that most here aren't accounting for. I find this happens a lot in these threads, and it's a common trope on these boards to be dismissive out of hand without thinking critically about these inherent differences.

How would we go about properly using the Fitbit to get it to be more reliable?
    Not being argumentative. Looking to learn and maybe help others with my experience improve theirs. :smile:
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited February 2018
    rofltoma wrote: »
    If it would help in any way.. My experiences of going from 198 to 175 lbs. First like everyone mentions is caloric intake. But the key to it I've learned is the what kind of caloric intake. I restrain all my carbohydrates to ONLY and very strictly only green vegetables. That's it. No potatoes no rice no bread no nuts of any kind. I do a hybrid approach of ketogenic diet and vegetarian. I only eat 4 ounces of meat a day and one meal that has non fat greek yogurt pushes to 40 grams of protein in one shot. Also I implement intermittent fasting either skipping breakfast or dinner. Now last thing that helped me.. break away from your diet. So what I do here is a ratio of 3:1 of 3 parts dieting and one part of just eating what you normally would (not letting go!) and then back to dieting. So lets say 6 days dieting 2 days normal .. this pushed my weight loss so much at one point I lost almost 6 pounds in one week (scary I know but I felt perfectly normal)

For your situation right now what I would do if I were you is reset your metabolism. I don't know all this mumbo jumbo but try eating normal for a few days while still exercising. Lets say 1600 calories and 200 calories of workout. (take a break!) Hope it helps! I've recently fell off track and might be my final point lol.. DONT STOP! Keep that discipline going it is so very much worth it. Living and feeling great and healthy.. is worth all the discipline required. (also remember 65 ounces of water a day!)

Haha! This has to be a troll post. The woo to legitimate content ratio is approaching infinity here.