Fatty liver

1235»

Replies

• Saifnasirpk
    Saifnasirpk Posts: 26 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's probably a contributing factor only because it's in foods that are typically consumed without fiber or protein more often than not (especially soda). Not because all else equal it's that different to have a cookie with HFCS vs sucrose.

I personally would cut out soda, for sure (if OP consumes it, which he very well may not), and probably all sugary drinks, probably even juice, and eat fruit instead.

Before I would drink lots of soda. But I'm about 4 weeks clean now.
  • Saifnasirpk
    My husband is in similar situation to OP. Doesn't drink... high ALT and has had an ultra sound scan. GP has also advised him to change his diet - very poor, take outs and junk food. He's due back at the GP next month so it will be interesting to see if change in diet has made any positive impact.

Interesting info re the choline study, not something that is checked for (deficiency in choline)

Good luck to him.
  • Saifnasirpk
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Do you still eat high fructose corn syrup in your food? Cutting that out may help as it is a contributing factor to fatty liver.

How so?
    *Edit- as compared to regular sugar/simple carbs, etc.

Fructose is metabolized by the liver. Too much may contribute to NAFLD.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390127

"Dietary fructose in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.

Abstract
    Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common chronic liver disease in adults and children. A number of genetic and environmental factors are known to predispose individuals to NAFLD. Certain dietary sugars, particularly fructose, are suspected to contribute to the development of NAFLD and its progression. The increasing quantity of fructose in the diet comes from sugar additives (most commonly sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) in beverages and processed foods. Substantial links have been demonstrated between increased fructose consumption and obesity, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance. Growing evidence suggests that fructose contributes to the development and severity of NAFLD. In human studies, fructose is associated with increasing hepatic fat, inflammation, and possibly fibrosis. Whether fructose alone can cause NAFLD or if it serves only as a contributor when consumed excessively in the setting of insulin resistance, positive energy balance, and sedentary lifestyle is unknown. Sufficient evidence exists to support clinical recommendations that fructose intake be limited through decreasing foods and drinks high in added (fructose-containing) sugars.
    "

This makes so much sense. I would drink a lot of coke.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Do you still eat high fructose corn syrup in your food? Cutting that out may help as it is a contributing factor to fatty liver.

How so?

Abstract
    Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common chronic liver disease in adults and children. A number of genetic and environmental factors are known to predispose individuals to NAFLD. Certain dietary sugars, particularly fructose, are suspected to contribute to the development of NAFLD and its progression. The increasing quantity of fructose in the diet comes from sugar additives (most commonly sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) in beverages and processed foods. Substantial links have been demonstrated between increased fructose consumption and obesity, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance. Growing evidence suggests that fructose contributes to the development and severity of NAFLD. In human studies, fructose is associated with increasing hepatic fat, inflammation, and possibly fibrosis. Whether fructose alone can cause NAFLD or if it serves only as a contributor when consumed excessively in the setting of insulin resistance, positive energy balance, and sedentary lifestyle is unknown. Sufficient evidence exists to support clinical recommendations that fructose intake be limited through decreasing foods and drinks high in added (fr uctose-containing) sugars.
    "

I'm not sure why this post got to two "Woo"s. The article that @nvmomketo shared was published in a respected, peer-reviewed medical journal. Perhaps MFP's meaning for "Woo" was misunderstood? It doesn't have a good connotation as in "who-hoo" but rather it refers to pseudoscience/unsubstantiated claims.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    bametels wrote: »

How so?

Abstract
    Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common chronic liver disease in adults and children. A number of genetic and environmental factors are known to predispose individuals to NAFLD. Certain dietary sugars, particularly fructose, are suspected to contribute to the development of NAFLD and its progression. The increasing quantity of fructose in the diet comes from sugar additives (most commonly sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) in beverages and processed foods. Substantial links have been demonstrated between increased fructose consumption and obesity, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance. Growing evidence suggests that fructose contributes to the development and severity of NAFLD. In human studies, fructose is associated with increasing hepatic fat, inflammation, and possibly fibrosis. Whether fructose alone can cause NAFLD or if it serves only as a contributor when consumed excessively in the setting of insulin resistance, positive energy balance, and sedentary lifestyle is unknown. Sufficient evidence exists to support clinical recommendations that fructose intake be limited through decreasing foods and drinks high in added (fr uctose-containing) sugars.
    "

I'm not sure why this post got to two "Woo"s. The article that @nvmomketo shared was published in a respected, peer-reviewed medical journal. Perhaps MFP's meaning for "Woo" was misunderstood? It doesn't have a good connotation as in "who-hoo" but rather it refers to pseudoscience/unsubstantiated claims.

Not sure either. I was thankful for the read. It makes sense.
  • Saifnasirpk

How so?

Abstract
    "

Doesn't woo mean wow? Like Facebooks wow icon. I found this I information to be most useful as I used to drink a lot of soda and juices. Very helpful
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member

How so?

Abstract
    "

Doesn't woo mean wow? Like Facebooks wow icon. I found this I information to be most useful as I used to drink a lot of soda and juices. Very helpful

Not on MFP. Many people, including myself, are frustrated by this relatively new icon. In the MFP world, it does not mean "wow" or have another positive connotation. It's very confusing, which is why I made my post. I did not want MFP readers to think that the article posted and discussed was pseudoscience.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Ugh, my doctor just told me I had a fatty liver. I found this interesting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018

How so?

Abstract
    "

Not on MFP. Many people, including myself, are frustrated by this relatively new icon. In the MFP world, it does not mean "wow" or have another positive connotation. It's very confusing, which is why I made my post. I did not want MFP readers to think that the article posted and discussed was pseudoscience.

It was originally intended to have a dual meaning (one positive, one not), and still gets used positively in some sections on MFP and by some users. You simply cannot presume to know what anyone meant by "woo" in a particular case.

That said, I read the post as suggesting there was a meaningful difference between HFCS and sugar all else equal, and that's not accurate. I'll note that the link wasn't specifically about HFCS, but it was supplied as alleged support for the idea that OP should cut out HFCS as the culprit.

(I do, as stated above, think cutting out certain HFCS containing foods and limiting others is a good idea, but would not consider HFCS different in that respect from added sugar or even fruit juice, if OP hypothetically consumed a lot of that.)
  • Saifnasirpk
    Ck103084 wrote: »
    Ugh, my doctor just told me I had a fatty liver. I found this interesting.

You're not alone. Just look at how much support I got from all these wonderful people. Good luck
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Just keep doing what you are doing. It takes time to correct a fatty liver. If you are cutting junk foods, you have already taken a step in the right direction. Keep at it and have them retest you later.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I had bariatric surgery, and I know they have you go on a low carb diet to reduce fat around your liver before surgery. I'm not sure if that's helpful long-term, but it might be worth researching.
  • sharpbj
    sharpbj Posts: 10 Member
    I had the exact same problem. I'm 6ft. 1 182 lbs, work out and don't drink. My Liver enzymes were so bad that i had to go get an ultra sound done. TWICE. There is something called non-alcoholic liver disease, so make sure you get that checked, but in my case the cause was two thing. 1. Cholesterol meds and 2. Anti biotics. My body doesn't like them , especially my Liver.