Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 - so appreciate all the videos and other resources you share here. I've gotten a lot out of every one, so thanks. Speaking of resources, I've had this book recommended to me: A Happier Hour by Rebecca Weller. I read the free sample, and it's pretty interesting. About a young woman, a health coach no less, who had a serious drinking problem and had to give up alcohol. From the description: A Happier Hour is a memoir that moves beyond addiction, giving a behind-the-scenes look into what it takes to get (and stay) sober in a culture that celebrates alcohol.

I liked the part about a "culture that celebrates alcohol." SO true.

@Norminv - you've practiced your moderation muscles a bunch so have fun on your trip - sounds like a blast!
    @erikNJ - my mind is blown by those steps - insane. But congrats - just amazing.

Friday's a moderate drinking day for me. We went out to dinner last night. I had one glass of really good Malbec. I enjoyed it, but had no trouble at all saying no to a second. I did have a headache this a.m. This is the second weekend in a row that's happened, and I'm beginning to think that that little amount of wine is the culprit. Crazy to think of the quantities I used to drink!

Hope everybody's having a good weekend. Enjoying catching up with your posts.

Thanks for the book suggestion! I need a new one to read. I love your posts! And I'm happy you had a nice dinner and a good Malbec. Sorry about the headache. Maybe it's allergies.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    To all the new people, let us know how you are dealing with your cut back or cut out of alcohol. Sharing ideas helps us all.
    All of us that have been here a while should share what we've done in the past.
    New people are joining, lets give them the book titles, alternative drinks, etc.!

I'll start: the 6 second rule. If you want a drink (or another one), find something to do for at least 6 seconds. It gives you time to think. :)
  • RubyRed427
    @MissMay Great suggestion. Accountability!
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Yes, I agree, Craig Beck says you have to realized that alcohol does nothing for you. It lies to you. He's so great. And so are you! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    @salleewins I am happy you also resisted that temptation to get something when you drove your friend. You are strong! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Well, I blew it this week. Instead of 3 drinks I went through the better part of a bottle of wine over a 4 day period, then had some Irish whiskey on Friday night, woke up feeling not so great on Saturday and then went out for lunch and drinks yesterday. Felt like crap (only word for it) before I went to bed last night. Woke up ok but disappointed. I, and my body, deserve better. Planning on the next 5 days being AF. Small goals. It is an eye opener for me how easy it is to blow it.

Your honesty always makes me smile. You are so wonderful to be so candid. I would be doing the same thing as you. Once you drank that bottle, it was like a roller coaster ride. BUT you recognize it today that you deserve better. And this week will be great! You'll have those memories fresh in your mind. Maybe even write yourself a note like our other friend did, detailing how badly you feel and tuck it away. Sending you a hug!
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Well, I blew it this week. Instead of 3 drinks I went through the better part of a bottle of wine over a 4 day period, then had some Irish whiskey on Friday night, woke up feeling not so great on Saturday and then went out for lunch and drinks yesterday. Felt like crap (only word for it) before I went to bed last night. Woke up ok but disappointed. I, and my body, deserve better. Planning on the next 5 days being AF. Small goals. It is an eye opener for me how easy it is to blow it.

Your honesty always makes me smile. You are so wonderful to be so candid. I would be doing the same thing as you. Once you drank that bottle, it was like a roller coaster ride. BUT you recognize it today that you deserve better. And this week will be great! You'll have those memories fresh in your mind. Maybe even write yourself a note like our other friend did, detailing how badly you feel and tuck it away. Sending you a hug!

Yes! The idea of the note is genius. I'm going to do it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    Cringeworthy memory

Excellent use of words.
    Can I just comment that I have been on that floor "with you" more times than I care to recall. Not the way I had planned to grow up and adult by being passed out beside a toilet. I totally ruined my 1st year Anniversay celebration 4 years ago by having to much fun that day/night, that ran over me like a freight train.

You will be the rock star this Easter and you will make everyone proud. Hugs

@ehseeker: this was me this past week completely. One led to another and before it was all over I was toast. Keep positive with this new day.

• RubyRed427
    @ehseeker Totally agree with you. I think because I had a plethora of AF choices, I felt special and "Like an adult". It didn't make me feel like I was ordering a Shirley Temple. LOL xo
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Wow, @JulieAL1969, if only more restaurants were like that. I keep saying that I need to start some kind of sober bar - not the (to me) somewhat somber kind where people have AA meetings, but the fun kind with a party atmosphere that feels like a bar, with amazing AF drinks (tea, cool sodas, sparkling waters, juices, smoothies, coffee, kombucha - you name it), games, music -- the whole bit. Of course, I'm the type of person who thinks that because I'm into something the whole world must be, right? LOL.

@ehseeker - oh, you are so right, it's easy to blow it. But the most important thing is that you're here and you have a new plan. It takes so much mental and emotional energy to beat yourself up over something that's in the past and that you can't change. I'm hoping you can turn all that energy toward your own future health and wellbeing. Thinking about you.

@snoo61 - love that idea. What's helping me is saying to myself or to friends/family a version of "I don't do X anymore." Or perhaps a more positive version, which might be what you DO do ("I'm AF free now.") The more I say it the more I believe it, I guess. It sort of redefines me - to myself, most importantly. I remember once, about six months, ago my husband wanted to go to a donut place. I was shocked to hear this coming out of my mouth: "I don't eat donuts anymore, but I'd love to go with you and have a cup of coffee." So . . . I'm a person who doesn't eat donuts now. I'm also a person who doesn't drink Mon-Thurs. and drinks no more than two glasses of wine Fri-Sun. May be too airy, but wanted to throw that out.