Weight watchers back to mfp?

13»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    About 15 years ago, the points had more of a relation to calories. Generally speaking, 1 point equaled 50 calories. High fat foods had lower calories per point (40), high fiber had more (anywhere up to 80). Since then, it seems that they've gone further afield.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    About 15 years ago, the points had more of a relation to calories. Generally speaking, 1 point equaled 50 calories. High fat foods had lower calories per point (40), high fiber had more (anywhere up to 80). Since then, it seems that they've gone further afield.

A point value now depends on the quality of food, don’t they say that not all cals are equal??? Well that’s how it changed (short version)
    Banana= 0 Smart Points (100 cals) VS cookie=3 Smart Points (100 cals)

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2018
    Maybe "they" say that not all calories are equal, but for weight loss they actually are. For people who find fat satiating, that cookie may foster better adherence to a weight-loss plan than the banana would. But making the banana zero points and the cookies three will:
    • feed into my old anxiety and guilt around the occasional indulgence, which generally locked me into a cycle of 'eat something tasty, feel guilty about it, eat more to numb the guilt, feel guilty about eating more, eat more...' (Note: It's not BED, it's a tendency to go off the rails at a party/social gathering)
    • Probably lead to my overdoing the zero-point foods, because even though nobody in the know actually believes that zero points=zero calories, my mind will equate the two.

Besides, forget the calories for a second: not all cookies are created equal. 100 calories of oatmeal-craisin cookie has a better nutritional profile than 100 calories of shortbread cookie, no?

Plus there's the "blue dot" system. It's like earning gold stars at school. More days in points= more blue dots. Its motivates some, but others like me eat zero point everything to excess to get around it. I got my dot but no weight loss. So I found through double tracking I can exceed points, eat satisfying but otherwise high point/ reasonable calorie foods, and lose weight.

And I'm finding fat is adding satisfaction to my meals. I avoided it for so long.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    jbheller14 wrote: »
    Has anyone else found the new WW plan Freestyle not working and went back to counting calories with MFP?

yep (not "back to," I am here for the first time)
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    lbryans929 wrote: »
    jbheller14 wrote: »
    Has anyone else found the new WW plan Freestyle not working and went back to counting calories with MFP?

yep (not "back to," I am here for the first time)

Welcome! The biggest difference between MFP and WW is MFP assumes you will be exact and weigh everything, WW assumes you will underestimate what you eat. You will get more predictable results with MFP if you use a scale.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    I agree. Thanks.
  • mobs1204
    mobs1204 Posts: 2 Member
    After playing with same 5lbs for 2 months now on WW - I am back to counting everything. My work out plan is on point but I could work on my water intake.
  • canuck_OHS
    canuck_OHS Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2018
    I’m coming up on 2 years as a WW member. I HATE freestyle!!!! I lost steadily until they brought it in. Now I’m just plain hangry all the time, stressed because I can’t stick to my points and generally demotivated. I realized that my weight was slowly going up about 1 pound a month so I’m giving it up!!
    Came back to MFP.

In just a few days I’m feeling better. Not hangry. Happy I can eat anything as long as I am accountable.

I am still going to keep going to ww meetings though. I feel like for the food addict in me I need the human connection and accountability of weighing in front of a person. I plan to make it to my goal using MFP!!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    I am still going to WW for the meetings but I am back with MFP for tracking food. WW tracker only works for points tracking but doesn't allow you to monitor macros of other nutritional markers. Also, there isn't as many food items in the database so there is a lot of inputting to do.
  • JenSchimanski
    JenSchimanski Posts: 77 Member
    @sleepymom5 have you seen this thread?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!