Glass food storage- current favorites? Question for the fit foodies.

2»

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have pyrex and it is good for storage in the fridge and such but what stinks is they are not microwave safe from the fridge (fine to microwave at room temperature). It defeats the purpose of packing a lunch in them to stick in the fridge at work and heat up later.

Edit: typos

I’ve never heard that you can’t put them from the fridge into the microwave, where did you hear this? That isn’t even something Pyrex says not to do. We’ve been microwaving glass Pyrex from fridge to microwave as long as I can remember and have never had an issue.

It was in the care instructions when I got the pyrex. I looked it up online and apparently they can explode if put in the microwave directly from the fridge. The site also said this is only a United States problem so if you are outside the US apparently they are made better and can go right from fridge to microwave,

I use Pyrex too and never had that issue.

I'm starting to wonder if someone gave me realistic looking but knockoff pyrex for my wedding lol :/

Well it does say on their website to avoid sudden temperature changes, but I don't think that fridge to microwave is an issue as much as very hot container in cold water or something.

I have leftovers in Pyrex I am having tonight so I am just going to stick it in the microwave and see what happens. My instructions do say "sudden temperature change" and when I looked that up online people reported them exploding which scared me into sticking one from fridge into the microwave.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have pyrex and it is good for storage in the fridge and such but what stinks is they are not microwave safe from the fridge (fine to microwave at room temperature). It defeats the purpose of packing a lunch in them to stick in the fridge at work and heat up later.

Edit: typos

I’ve never heard that you can’t put them from the fridge into the microwave, where did you hear this? That isn’t even something Pyrex says not to do. We’ve been microwaving glass Pyrex from fridge to microwave as long as I can remember and have never had an issue.

It was in the care instructions when I got the pyrex. I looked it up online and apparently they can explode if put in the microwave directly from the fridge. The site also said this is only a United States problem so if you are outside the US apparently they are made better and can go right from fridge to microwave,

I use Pyrex too and never had that issue.

I'm starting to wonder if someone gave me realistic looking but knockoff pyrex for my wedding lol :/

Well it does say on their website to avoid sudden temperature changes, but I don't think that fridge to microwave is an issue as much as very hot container in cold water or something.

I have leftovers in Pyrex I am having tonight so I am just going to stick it in the microwave and see what happens. My instructions do say "sudden temperature change" and when I looked that up online people reported them exploding which scared me into sticking one from fridge into the microwave.

Yes, Pyrex and Corningware will break from sudden temp changes.

I've had more than one Pyrex measuring cup crack when I poured boiling water into it. The cups were at room temp. And I've also had Corningware crack into a hot preheated oven when putting it cold w/food in it from the frig. Doesn't happen every time but it can happen.

Don't pour boiling water straight into a Pyrex cointainer anymore but have no problems boiling cold water in one in the micro.

The micro isn't like a hot preheated oven because the contents are heated gradually. So, there's less likelihood of heat cracking using it.

I also do not place cold Corningware directly in the oven anymore. I'll let it (and the food) come up to room temp 1st or transfer the food to another (warmer) container 1st.

On the other hand, I've never broken any Corningware when putting it cold in the micro or even directly on a burner set on LOW heat.

No more heat broken Pyrex or Corningware after taking these precautions.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    The only thing I have really found online is not to microwave food that has no moisture in it (like, dry oats?), and not to overheat oils because they can get too hot. Every other precaution has been stuff like, don’t put containers from the freezer to oven, don’t put hot containers into cold water, don’t put hot dishes from the oven onto a cold metal stove/burner, no boiling water. Microwaving seems to be the least problematic way to heat.