How to track HIIT, specifically Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    me0231 wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that 99% of people who complete a real HIIT session wouldn't return for another one, especially a good percentage of people around here who are not your average high performance athlete. That is not a knock on anyone, it's simply not fun to nearly puke while desperately trying to catch a breath and unless you're training for something specific it's not necessary.

Lol, true! If you've ever done a true HIIT session, you know the difference.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    me0231 wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that 99% of people who complete a real HIIT session wouldn't return for another one, especially a good percentage of people around here who are not your average high performance athlete. That is not a knock on anyone, it's simply not fun to nearly puke while desperately trying to catch a breath and unless you're training for something specific it's not necessary.

FIFY, based on my experience at least. Ug.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    That’s my take on HIIT! HIIT = puking
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    For anybody who's interested, you can read the description of BodyShred here (straight from Jillian's website itself). Complete with all the usual industry buzzwords and marketing woo.

Not HIIT.

Just to note OP asked about the 30 Day Shred which is a home workout that lasts about 24 min, not the BodyShred class.

It is still the 3-2-1 format.

Still not HIIT though.

Cheers, h.

Yeah but what you’re missing about the 3-2-1 format is that the 3 and the 2 min intervals are high intensity intervals and the 1 min intervals are low intensity/reat intervals (ex: hold a plank or boat pose).

Suppose you wanted to argue that HIIT is different from interval training and Body Shred would qualify as interval but not HIIT. I suppose you could say that but that still doesn’t make Body Shred circuit training.

I never said it was circuit training. I said I logged it as gymnastics, not that it was gymnastics, and that is what I advised, with other options.

It comes down to what one can equate it to with regards to perceived energy expenditure, and previous experience.

remoore23 wrote: »
    When I searched for both "HIIT", "High Intensity Interval Training" and "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred", there were no results. This is a workout that has three six-minute circuits of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work, and it meant to be very intense. How do you record things like that? Thank you :smile:

I logged it as gymnastics. It worked for me.
    Basically, choose, aerobics, Pilates, circuit training, or gymnastics, etc, log, and monitor. Adjust your calories depending on results.

Cheers, h.

You are talking about a 'shred' studio class, not the home '30 day shred'. Most of the responders are talking about the latter- a fun, effective 24min workout.

Cheers, h.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I'm not sure why these threads amuse me. It is kinda sad how the fitness and diet industries keep people so confused. To the folks who fall for this nonsense, keep your credit cards handy and be ready to jump on the next big thing. We'll see you again next year when you start over (for the 7th time)...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why these threads amuse me. It is kinda sad how the fitness and diet industries keep people so confused. To the folks who fall for this nonsense, keep your credit cards handy and be ready to jump on the next big thing. We'll see you again next year when you start over (for the 7th time)...

Sad but true. Always searching for the magic bullet instead of just doing the plain old work.