One year later and only a couple pounds lighter... how long did it take you?

2»

Replies

• MissMarlyIc
    MissMarlyIc Posts: 5 Member
    Took me 2 years of very hard to lose over 10kg/over 20 lbs and put on quite a bit of muscle mass(main goal now). Been working out 5-6 workouts per week, a lot of weight training and cardio(weight training for an hr then 10-30 mins cardio after unless it’s intense leg day- also 1 day per week just cardio eg. run, swim, hike etc.). Logging everything and staying accountable. Eating minimum 1500-1600 on a cut, doing mini cuts and bulks(2500-3000kcal during bulking) never longer than 6 weeks. Also have a flexible diet when nothing is restricted really eg. Having couple glasses of wine on Saturdays or takeaway after a hike, but other than that I eat very clean. I also have times when I maintain. There have been ups and downs but for me slow and steady wins the race and health above all. Only have 2kg to go which is very difficult to accomplish since strength and workout performance come first now! Good luck, just don’t give up no matter how small changes you see, you’re still progressing!
  • teniahhowell
    teniahhowell Posts: 7 Member
    You got me thinking and I went back and was reading through some old blogs I had written and realized that I have been on my own personal journey for over 10 years now...I thought this could be encouraging to you, as well...That even if you have to keep at it for 10 more weeks or 10 more months or 10 more years it's TOTALLY worth it for the healthy life that you will have...From Dr. Yami "Regular physical activity decreases your risk of chronic disease, strengthens your bones and muscles, and it brings joy into your life. In my opinion, the mental health benefits are the greatest reward. A study in 1999 found that after a 16 week trial, exercise was just as good at relieving depression as Zoloft. Furthermore, of the group who exercised, those who continued to exercise were less likely to have a relapse. My plea to you is, don't use exercise as a punishment for your body, but treat pleasurable movement as a reward and a gift, and I guarantee you will be more likely to stick with it."

And of course we both hope that we will see some muscle tone and weight loss in there too!! ;) All the best to you.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    What I would encourage in your case is to do the weight lifting as others have suggested at a time that will realistically fit into your schedule (Maybe you might have to do leg lifting on Sat and arms on Sunday, and the rest of the week is for the kids)....Be realistic so that you can be consistent!!!

I love this idea! Two work outs a week is better than nothing!

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    What I would encourage in your case is to do the weight lifting as others have suggested at a time that will realistically fit into your schedule (Maybe you might have to do leg lifting on Sat and arms on Sunday, and the rest of the week is for the kids)....Be realistic so that you can be consistent!!!

If you're going to do a resistance training or lifting routine, do full body. That way you're hitting everything twice per week :)
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

If you're going to do a resistance training or lifting routine, do full body. That way you're hitting everything twice per week :)

Full body two days back to back? Not arguing, just clarifying. I don't work out much and claim no real knowledge but I always thought that to gain muscle you needed to rest a muscle for a day or two between workouts so it can rebuild (or something like that, again, I have no clue).
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member

Full body two days back to back? Not arguing, just clarifying. I don't work out much and claim no real knowledge but I always thought that to gain muscle you needed to rest a muscle for a day or two between workouts so it can rebuild (or something like that, again, I have no clue).

Currently i am doing Dr. Jim Stoppani's Full Body Burn program. Full body workout 5 days a week. He has phd and has done tons of research and beleives full body training is the best approach and helps with better fat loss and keep metabolism up and running. Read on more on his website www.jimstoppani.com.
  • Adka0726
    Adka0726 Posts: 4 Member
    I have suffered from hypothyroidism for 20 years an weight loss has been an on going issue for me.. I lose and gain it right back.. I hike, do circuit training among other things and I can't lose weight. Story of my life.. it's to the point that I work out to maintain my current weight. .
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    kshearer13 wrote: »
    How many calories were you eating and how much weight do you need to lose? The tricky part is the lower the weight you need to lose, the slower it comes off and the less calories you need to consume to lose weight. This is likely part of the issue if you're already at a healthy weight.

Also, it isn't necessarily clear how consistent you've been from your post. It says you did a few exercises for a little while etc. But consistency is key. Even if you eat well all week and then eat a whole pizza on Sundays (just as an example) you won't be at a calorie deficit any more and you won't lose weight.

Also, strength training is great exercise if you're looking to change your body composition. I would also say that if you're struggling to get in night time workouts do morning ones. I know some people hate that. I hated it until a few weeks in. Now I wake up at 5am excited to workout. I do 30-50 minute workouts at home (Beachbody) so I keep preworkout beside my bed and jump into my workout clothes right away. I even wear headphones for music so I don't wake anyone up. But I burn calories in the morning, I'm energized for the say, I feel productive, and that one healthy choice leads to a lot of other healthy choices.

I've been eating 1500 calories (except the last few weeks and at 1700 when I was liftiing). I'm 125lbs and started at about 128lbs. I've been pretty consistent (last few weeks aside) but my plans and approach have changed over the year. I ate way less when I first started, more when I was lifting, I paid more attention to mircos at one time, etc.

I think I need to get back to working out but oh man... 5am sounds so rough. How do you wake up enough for that? Getting out of a warm bed is not something I'm good at. And, I was motivated when I went to the gym but I'm not sure about at home. My home work out have been very lack luster. I've got to find a way around that.

One little-discussed but super cool benefit of working out regularly is an increase in total energy reserves. You might be fatigued after a hard workout, but overall, day over day, you'll find you actually have MORE energy to spend on your workouts, your kids, your daily life. And the harder and more regularly you work out, the larger this reserve becomes.

I understand that you're exhausted at the end of the day now, and that adding anything else seems like it would put you over the edge, but regular exercise over time will actually have the opposite effect. And I agree that you'll probably get more out of a morning workout than an evening workout, at least to start. Hopefully, knowing that part of what you're working toward is actually more energy to spend on your family and your life can be the final push toward choosing and sticking to a program.