Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

1789101113»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2018
    Katherine,

I agree that fast food can be a true, debilitating substance. Not chemically maybe, but psychologically.

The type of dependence you have doesn’t matter, just that it exists, and you seek help for it.

I don’t care for people telling you that your addiction isn’t real, or that you lack willpower, or are making excuses, etc. That is highly judgemental, as no one is in your shoes but you.

My response is to actively seek treatment and support. If you don’t do that, then yes, it falls back on you. Otherwise, continue your fight.

I wish you the best.

This is from Psychology Today:

Addiction is a condition in which a person engages in use of a substance or in a behavior for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeatedly pursue the behavior despite detrimental consequences. Addiction may involve the use of substances such as alcohol, inhalants, opioids, cocaine, nicotine, and others, or behaviors such as gambling; there is scientific evidence that the addictive substances and behaviors share a key neurobiological feature—they intensely activate brain pathways of reward and reinforcement, many of which involve the neurotransmitter dopamine.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/addiction

Given this description, food could be addictive (agree not physically) but psychologically. We speak of gambling addiction and obviously that is not the same as heroin. Psychology Today seems to be okay using the word addiction for something that is not physically addictive.

Maybe this has been covered on one of these pages.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    I gave an opinion.

I don’t chastise anyone. I try to be polite. Any ‘chastising’ is read into it by others.

If I was wrong, I apologize. I wasn’t out to tick anyone off.

Don't stress about it man, these people are seasoned keyboard warriors and this part of the forum is like their fighting pit.

Having said that, I don't actually agree with you either. My opinion is that the word addiction gets thrown around a bit and having worked with people battling crippling addiction, I personally don't think it's fair to compare the desire (no matter how strong it may be) to eat a type of food. habitual behavior happens because humans like patterns and gravitate towards them. Defending them and pursuing them even to their detriment. Obviously it depends where you draw the line, and which chemicals or hormones you want to include.. But all that is irrelevant.

Because whether breaking a habit or fighting with addiction, it's going to take willpower. And all the excuses in the world won't get you where you want to be. You say seek treatment and support. What do you think they are going to tell a fast food addict?
  • Fyreside
    @craygslyst1 Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed all the time. But I think we agree that with willpower and good support, one can beat just about anything.

Sometimes I worry that people are actually starting to speak to each other in person as if it were the internet. But there will always be some of us who enjoy and value a civil debate :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Fyreside wrote: »
    You say seek treatment and support. What do you think they are going to tell a fast food addict?

I think eating disorders (and compulsive eating certainly can be one) or dysfunctional reliance on food to cope with emotions or all kinds of related things absolutely can be addressed through treatment and support. There is OA, but I'm thinking more like therapy or maybe especially CBT.

I also think OP may be helped by that (without presuming to know) and I hope that's part of her plan, in addition to relying on a really strict diet to lose weight initially.

I wouldn't use the word addiction for most who simply have trouble moderating their eating or who have bad habits where they eat fast food really often and end up overeating, but I do think eating addiction is a thing. I, and various others, said this upthread even -- that was my problem with the poster who jumped in to accuse us all of being mean to OP without seeming to be aware of the scope of the discussion. At this point, the thread hasn't been about OP for ages (not since it was moved to Debate), and also OP explained long ago that her actual issue is that she's been eating a super restrictive diet (as part of a weight loss program) and likely would have had the same reaction to something homemade and tasty.
  • lemurcat12
    For what it's worth, I almost added something saying I didn't think you intended anything negative.

I know it's really long, but at this point the thread isn't about OP, and I doubt she's reading -- it was about her question, I think we covered that and her issue in depth, and then it got moved to Debate to debate, I dunno, the concept of fast food addiction.
  • Fyreside
    @lemurcat12 The context of that snippet was tied to the previous sentence. My angle being that willpower and commitment will be a part of the solution regardless of how we label the problem. And at some point, if help is sought a professional is going to have to help the client find that inner strength.

So I think we're on the same page and I sure hope you are right, as I've just embarked on a career change and entered a field of study which I hope will position me to be able to help others with their eating problems. As I struggled to find anyone to help me in my part of the world.
  • lemurcat12
    Yeah, we probably largely agree.