Goat milk vs cow - congestion and snoring

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    KristieJC wrote: »
    Considering humans are the only species that drinks the milk of other species and it isn’t REALLY meant for us (we’re not growing baby cows or goats), I think MOST bodies are happier, at least in some way, without dairy.

I’ve heard this argument before and it makes complete sense. And we’re also the only creatures that drink milk from a different animal. All around, it seems completely unnatural to consume dairy products. I wish that made me miss cheese less. Haha

It's the vegan argument that is meaningless. Humans have evolved in so many ways it's not even funny, to include technology, consumption of a wide range of foods and cooking. We figured out how to drink animal milk for a long term, to include develop an enzyme to process lactose.

Removing dairy never helped my wife's snoring, but it's possible that it's causing less mucus production for you. And regardless of what or why, it shouldn't really matter.. keep doing it.
  • Casympere
    Casympere Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2019
    I know there are many factors like smoking, drinking alcohol, overweight, some diseases(and I've never heard about milk). My husband, for example, has never snored but before one year he was diagnosed with Parkinson's he snored very loud. We tried many anti-snoring devices like pillows, nose clips, face mask and even bought a mattress for snoring because my husband has read about them. Nothing helped. After a year of fighting with snoring, he came to his neurologist (long story, he complained almost about everything) and she said that my husband has Parkinson’s. And snoring was supposed to be a signal for us.

Better to be realistic than paranoid... but there could be hidden serious health problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    It's possible that you have a allergy/sensitivity to cow dairy, and it's possible that goat milk may not aggravate it. It's the case that some people I've known who can't tolerate cow milk (with other symptoms than snoring being the problem) can tolerate goat milk.

Is there a universal effect that cow dairy milk increases snoring? Responses in this thread suggest not. (It doesn't have that effect on me, either, courtesy of Northern European peasant genes honed by centuries of milk consumption among my ancestors.)

And humans aren't the only animal that drinks the milk of another animal. Various domestic animals (cats, dogs, others) do so with great enthusiasm, when given the opportunity. Wild animals will happily consume the milk of a lactating female kill. I'm unaware of any other animal besides humans that is able to milk a living cow regularly enough to make cow milk a major routine part of their diets, but I think that's more about big brains and opposable thumbs than about liking to drink the milk.

We're also the only one that routinely refrigerates our food or cooks it, among other strange human habits.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited November 2019
    Dairy nerd here: The beta casein present in American cow's milk (Interestingly, not so much in cows found in Asia - India in particular.) can be an irritant and agent of inflammation in some people. Though still present in some quantity in cow and sheep milk, there is definitely less beta casein in those other dairy options, which can be helpful to many who react poorly to beta casein, even when lactose intolerance is not present.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Sorry - to link that beta casein comment to the snoring - if beta casein is causing general inflammation, it should be enough to effect snoring/not snoring, even if snot production continues to be normal.

When I have a cold, I cannot take most cold medicines, but I will *still* take an ibuprofen before bed to help me breathe more easily. Reduction of the inflammation in my sinuses helps keep my airways open, even if there is still a lot of mucus.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Dairy nerd here: The beta casein present in American cow's milk (Interestingly, not so much in cows found in Asia - India in particular.) can be an irritant and agent of inflammation in some people. Though still present in some quantity in goat and sheep milk, there is definitely less beta casein in those other dairy options, which can be helpful to many who react poorly to beta casein, even when lactose intolerance is not present.

I missed the editing window. Goat and sheep's milk have less beta casein than cow's milk. If your problem is not the beta casein, switching will not resolve the issue, but it may be worth a trial just to know. I'm not sure that this is something that allergists commonly test for and I'm also not sure if it's a proper allergy or just an intolerance.