So can you eat what you want within reason.

2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I've practiced IIFYM the entire time I have been with MFP and it's worked wonders. If It Fits Your Macros eat it. Set your calorie goal, set your macros the way you want (no need to set them the way MFP sets them) and stay at that calorie goal or under. Lost 120+ lbs in about my first 14-15 months on MFP. Have maintained ever since with the exception of the last eight months or so I've been bulking but that's on purpose. Carbs, Fat, Protein.. none of it is the enemy by itself, it's the calories that are the enemy. Sure, to meet your calorie goals you might need to limit some things or learn to cook them differently but otherwise eat what you want within your calorie goal.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    birdenerd wrote: »
    I made the mistake of taking the "you can eat whatever you want" part and ignoring the "within reason part" for a while and ended up eating 500+ calories of cookies or other treats leaving me with ~1000 calories for filling foods. That just left me grumpy and hungry. Still lost weight but it was miserable and now I'm much more reasonable about the amount of calories I portion for sweets :D

That so sounds like something I would do if I could. HAHA. Thankfully I'm allergic to most sweets and cookies.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    I do, but I also want to eat better quality healthy foods. But I definitely indulge and might have pie and mash for dinner but a low cal soup for lunch to compensate. I might also have a low cal yoghurt or jelly as dessert. Then there are days where I make a big vegetable bake in tomato sauce to have with a Quorn escalope....but I’ll have a mini tub of Haagen daas for dessert.

I eat what I want but smaller portions of the higher calorie stuff and don’t go over my 1750 per day. I am doing this for long term change to eating habits and meal sizes. It has helped this stop feeling like a depriving diet which I would previously lose interest in. Much more enjoyable now