Message Boards Groups 60 years old and over
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

MFP data breach

retirehappyretirehappy Member Posts: 5,059 Member Member Posts: 5,059 Member
Incase you missed this at your login:

NOTICE OF DATA BREACH
March 29, 2018

To the MyFitnessPal Community:

We are writing to notify you about an issue that may involve your MyFitnessPal account information. We understand that you value your privacy and we take the protection of your information seriously.

What Happened?
On March 25, 2018, we became aware that during February of this year an unauthorized party acquired data associated with MyFitnessPal user accounts.

What Information Was Involved?
The affected information included usernames, email addresses, and hashed passwords - the majority with the hashing function called bcrypt used to secure passwords.

What We Are Doing
Once we became aware, we quickly took steps to determine the nature and scope of the issue. We are working with leading data security firms to assist in our investigation. We have also notified and are coordinating with law enforcement authorities.

We are taking steps to protect our community, including the following:

We are notifying MyFitnessPal users to provide information on how they can protect their data.
We will be requiring MyFitnessPal users to change their passwords and urge users to do so immediately.
We continue to monitor for suspicious activity and to coordinate with law enforcement authorities.
We continue to make enhancements to our systems to detect and prevent unauthorized access to user information.
What You Can Do
We take our obligation to safeguard your personal data very seriously and are alerting you about this issue so you can take steps to help protect your information. We recommend you:

Change your password for any other account on which you used the same or similar information used for your MyFitnessPal account.
Review your accounts for suspicious activity.
Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal data or refer you to a web page asking for personal data.
Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.
For More Information
For more information, please go to https://content.myfitnesspal.com/security-information/FAQ.html.

Sincerely,

Paul Fipps
Chief Digital Officer

Replies

• Mariang165Mariang165 Member Posts: 1,082 Member Member Posts: 1,082 Member
    Thank you @retirehappy I didn’t see anything when I logged in on the app!
  • CrisEBTrueCrisEBTrue Member Posts: 463 Member Member Posts: 463 Member
    I tried to change my password and MFP has locked me out.
    I've tried about 20 times to log in, changing my PW each time and it still doesn't work.

I emailed the 'help' people and I got this...which seems to be from a 3rd party and asks for personal information, which I did not provide.

I can't even re-join with a new user name because MFP knows my IP address and recognized me when I tried that.

If MFP can't get a webmaster who can fix their platform without resorting to members giving their personal information, it's not worth my time.

I miss MFP. I joined Spark People. It tracks food "ok" but the MFP tracker is better.
    Also MFP's activity tracker is better. SP does have a way to note your blood sugar, so that's a plus.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Our apologies for the issues with logging back in to your account after resetting your password. Can you let us know some additional information so we can take a closer look?

First, can you let us know if you are unable to log in to the app, the website, or both?

Second, can you also let us know the following:

For the App:
    - Your email address tied to the account
    - What device you are using
    - What version of iOS you are using?
    On iOS you can find this by going to Settings on your iPhone, then General, then About - your version of iOS will be listed under "Version".
    On Android, you can find it by going to "Settings", then "About Phone", then "Android Version" or "Firmware version"
    - What cell phone or internet provider you use.
    - Your physical location such as city/state
    - Language set on your device
    - If you have any app partners connected to the app, such as Fitbit, RunKeeper, HealthKit, etc.
    - What version of the app you have installed? You can find this in the app's menu by tapping "Help" then "About Us". In older versions of the app, "About Us" is on the "More" page

For your Computer:
    -Your IP address ( http://whatismyipaddress.com )
    -Are you using your computer at home, or at work?
    -Language set on your account
    -Your Operating System (Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7)
    -Which Web Browser you are using
    -Do you have any browser extensions/add-ons? If so which ones?
    -Your internet provider

Your response will go directly to our Tech Team to help aid in their investigation. Since this email will be going directly to them, if you have any separate issues, please do not reply back to this email. Instead, please feel free to send us a new email to [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we look into this problem.

Warm Regards,
    Nova

"browser extension add-ons" ??? SERIOUSLY????

I don't think so, MFP/ Nova.

edited April 2018
  • retirehappyretirehappy Member Posts: 5,059 Member Member Posts: 5,059 Member
    Cris, those are all standard tech support questions. I am a retired IT tech support person and all that information is needed to fix some issues. They have even told you how to find some of the info. which is a good thing. Please gather that info and send it to the support team.

Those add in's? Sometimes disabling them fixes very odd problems, trust me, been there, done that one way too many times. That is one of the first steps I take if I have issues with a site. I also clear my browsers history. If you are using multiple devices, PC, smart phone, tablet, work with the PC first. Usually clearing up any issues there will replicate down to the other devices.

I was on SparkPeople for along time, I like the MFP platform better too.

Hope you get sorted out, PM me if you have any questions on collecting the data they want.

• retirehappyretirehappy Member Posts: 5,059 Member Member Posts: 5,059 Member